Author Topic: Can't open software or access SMS  (Read 15202 times)

Offline TheDawg

• NEO newbie
Can't open software or access SMS
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »
I'm having problems.  When I plug the stick in, windows says it recognizes it but then it doesn't show in "my computer."  I downloaded the latest software from the main thread, but an error message pops up when I try to use the program: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

What do I do??  Please help! ???

Offline TheDawg

• NEO newbie
Re: Can't open software or access SMS
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »
Oh, come on...somebody?  Dr. Neo? ~sm-66.gif~.gif

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:07:32 AM »
It shouldn't show in "my computer" as it's not a storage device. It's an interface that with the proper software, can read NDS carts. You have to install the drivers and the client software, then inside the client you'll be able to save the cart.

Offline TheDawg

• NEO newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
It shouldn't show in "my computer" as it's not a storage device. It's an interface that with the proper software, can read NDS carts. You have to install the drivers and the client software, then inside the client you'll be able to save the cart.

Thanks Willy.  I downloaded the software from this link: http://www.neoflash.com/download/SMS/NEO_NDS_SMS2_Backup_Master_V1.18.rar

Is that not the right file?  Is there a different set of files/drivers I need to install!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:42:48 AM »
I think that's the latest official release. If you noticed, there's a newer test version for people looking to try to dump 3DS carts.

If you're using a "new" version of Windows (Vista or 7) you should be running the program in Administrator mode so it can access the hardware USB connection. W7 64-bit is particularly a pain with the various NeoFlash programs. Many people using W7-64 run XP in vmware just for the NeoFlash software. Personally, I put WXP-Pro on an old laptop for running NeoFlash stuff.

As part of the installation, it should have installed some USB drivers. You then need to reboot the system to use them. Plugging in the adapter the first time should then trigger the system to link the device with the drivers. I'm not sure how Vista or W7 does that as I never bothered to get either. When you run the software, it should then show some info on the device and cart in the top as shown in the picture in the thread where you downloaded the program.

Offline TheDawg

• NEO newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
No go.  Running XP, tried logging on as administrator, same thing.  Oh, but it got worse.  Now AVG tells me there's a trojan virus in it. ~sm-75.gif~.gif

But one other thing, I picked up on your comment, about the install feature loading in the drivers.  I did not see an install feature.  I just unzipped into a folder, and moved it over to the hard drive, with all the files that came with it.  Am I doing something wrong?  And what up with the virus thing?

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »
It's a false positive. Those crop up on a lot of different Windows apps for various AV programs now and then.

There should be some installer software in the archive somewhere... or at least an installer file for the drivers. Without installing the USB drivers, there's simply no way Windows will ever handle the adapter. It's not a generic device like a USB stick which can use a generic USB stickdrive driver.

Offline TheDawg

• NEO newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 07:44:37 AM »
The rar expands to a folder that contains 4 items...a gif file, a dll, an exe file and a folder titled "language."  There is not a program that is named "install", but I assume that the installer is the exe file?  If not, then a file is missing.  Double clicking on the exe file gives an error that reads "Windows cannot access teh specified device, path, or file.  You may not have teh appropriate permissions to access them."

Tried logging on as administrator, still no success.  Please help!!!  This is soooo frustrating..... ~sm-62.gif~.gif

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »
Which version of the SMS do you have ?

Offline TheDawg

• NEO newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
SMS2 super memory stick for NDSI NDSL.  But I wonder if that's the problem.  The software doesn't seem to want to install properly.  I'm running a windows laptop with XP.  Any reason why it shouldn't run?  Are the files I listed above all the files that should appear?  I'm soooooo bummed out. :'(

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
SMS2 super memory stick for NDSI NDSL.  But I wonder if that's the problem.  The software doesn't seem to want to install properly.  I'm running a windows laptop with XP.  Any reason why it shouldn't run?  Are the files I listed above all the files that should appear?  I'm soooooo bummed out. :'(

I don't have this product , but hope this helps :

1.Download THIS : http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6116.0;attach=2440
2.Extract the contents of the archive to some place on your X:\ hdd drive
3.Run the executable

Step #2 should fix the error that you reported ("Windows cannot access teh specified device, path, or file.  You may not have teh appropriate permissions to access them.")

Since probably the path that you have extracted the application may contain wide character set.

Edit:
Another thing , if this doesn't work , then its definitely an issue with wide character set.
Probably the application is fetching the language settings of your OS and looks for that particular file in the language directory and because of bad handling(no conversion) it can't open the file.

So , another thing to try is to change the language of your OS...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:47:47 PM by Conle »

Offline TheDawg

• NEO newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 11:35:17 AM »

I don't have this product , but hope this helps :

1.Download THIS : http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6116.0;attach=2440
2.Extract the contents of the archive to some place on your X:\ hdd drive
3.Run the executable

Step #2 should fix the error that you reported ("Windows cannot access teh specified device, path, or file.  You may not have teh appropriate permissions to access them.")

Since probably the path that you have extracted the application may contain wide character set.

Edit:
Another thing , if this doesn't work , then its definitely an issue with wide character set.
Probably the application is fetching the language settings of your OS and looks for that particular file in the language directory and because of bad handling(no conversion) it can't open the file.

So , another thing to try is to change the language of your OS...

It worked!!  Thank you so much for your help!  i do have one more smaller issue though.  I have a card that I bought with a bunch of games on it.  I wanted to put one at a time on an SD card, rather than giver them all to my daughter at the same time. But the backup and dump features seem to only want to copy the entire contents of teh card to a single .sav file.  is there any way to back up each game on this card individually so I can do that?  Or am I stuck?

Offline thedawg2

• NEO newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
Connie, your advice has been very helpful.  software has worked great.  but lately I've come across a few games that the program doesn't seem to recognize.  Latest is Pokemon White.  Pokemon Black worked fine a few months ago, so I'm confused.  Is it possible that White has an additional level of copywright protection?  or that my sms2 backup master stick is faulty?  Do I need to re-load software?  Or is this just a quirk that some games won't be recognized?  Thanks!!

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »
lately I've come across a few games that the program doesn't seem to recognize. 

You'll have to list all those non supported games and make a complete bug report so that they'll be supported in the near feature.

There is no other option , unfortunately.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:41:04 PM by Conle »

Offline GregoryMSewell

• NEO newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 05:02:20 PM »
You should take help from the online sources for this as I take. Like nowadays I am using the affordablepapers services for my work. BTW, I need some software ideas about the work of my external work.