Author Topic: SNES Diagonal Line Interference?  (Read 13437 times)

Offline mugenmidget

• Retro Enthusiast
SNES Diagonal Line Interference?
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:38:50 AM »
With the release of the Neo Myth SNES flash cartridge, I noticed a peculiar issue upon first using it.  There were faint diagonal interference lines visible in the menu of this cartridge, especially when it was flashing ROMs.  The fact that the interference increases when it was flashing made me wonder if it was a power issue.  In game, the interference isn't usually noticeable but it pops up every now and then (especially on blue backgrounds).

I decided I would try some real SNES games and see if I could detect the same interference.  It was a lot harder to find, but it was definitely there.  I only have third party S-Video cables, so I thought I'd try the official composite cables and see if the interference showed up.  Sure enough, it's still there.  To further rule things out, I tried swapping power supplies, and still saw the interference patterns.

I'm wondering if the SNES is  damaged at this point, because I don't necessarily remember this interference but I never really had a TV good enough to spot it.  Is it normal for SNES systems to display this kind of interference?  If it's damaged, could third party S-Video cables be responsible?

The interference shows itself on every TV I've tried so far, so it doesn't seem to be display related.  The console (or at least the AV port) seems to be at fault.  I'll see if I can get another system to try things out on.

Anyways, here are some videos of the problem in question, maybe someone will be familiar with it:

The Neo cartridge with Killer Instinct flashed (look for the faint diagonal lines running across the purple background): http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/mugenmidget/?action=view&current=neomythki.flv

The genuine KI cartridge (interference is much fainter, but it's there in the same places): http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/mugenmidget/?action=view&current=realki.flv

And here's a still image of the interference captured by the Gamebridge:

Just curious if anyone is familiar with such a thing happening, I'll try to report back if I get another system working.  Thank you and let me know if you have any other suggestions for things I should try.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
Re: SNES Diagonal Line Interference?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:44:17 AM »
afaik the pattern is caused by general electrical fields around the tv/cable/snes. have you tried switching off any electrical equipment near the snes/tv to see if the pattern goes away?

Offline mugenmidget

• Retro Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:47:40 AM »
Yes, I have tried a lot of different configurations and got the system isolated with just my netbook (wireless disabled, although I don't know if that would cause the interference or not) and the capture device and could still see the patterns through the Gamebridge.  Basically the only thing I haven't tried aside from another system is a new house.
 ~sm-35.gif~

I'm having trouble with my other systems that were in storage, but once I can get a different system going I will let you know if the interference persists.  In the meanwhile, is there anything else that would cause this problem?  And does the Neo Myth SNES cart enhance the interference because of its power requirements?

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:58:30 AM »
'capture device' ? Like a tv card or usb video recorder? I remember when I used my tv card in my pc I always got bad interference, I assumed at the time (correctly maybe?) that it was the PC itself causing the problem. do you get the same pattern on a real tv?

Offline King Of Chaos

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:03:15 AM »
It happens to me too, but I pretty much ignore it.

Offline mugenmidget

• Retro Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:06:47 AM »
Yep, the same pattern occurs on a real TV and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing it.  King of Chaos, does it happen with your real games as well?  I thought it didn't at first but on certain games like Killer Instinct you can still see the patterns, they're just not nearly as visible as the ones through the Neo Myth.

And fortunately, you're right, they're not all that bad and you get used to them after playing for a while.  But if I could eliminate them somehow...

;D ;D ;D :-* ~sm-44.gif~ ~sm-36.gif~

Sektor

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 01:56:57 PM »
I'm using a composite cable (I think the one that came with my GC) and an LCD TV.  There is no interference visible. I can't see any diagonal lines. I'm using a PAL snes without any region mods.

edit: There might be some diagonal lines in Killer Instinct but extremely faint, not sure if it is part of the title screen or not. I can't notice them from a normal viewing distance. It's nothing like your screen capture. I don't have a SNES svideo cable.

I noticed the SNES outputs some grey lines when you power it on with no cartridge connected but that's more like a test pattern.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:20:27 PM by Sektor »

Offline Aleomark

• Just a gamer!
    • El otro lado
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
I have some diagonal lines in menu but when I load a game it looks fine, no diagonal lines, only in menu.

Offline mugenmidget

• Retro Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:28:53 AM »
Interesting, I thought it was only in the menu as well but if you play games with a lot of blue (I think blue is usually the "trouble color") then you'll notice it again.  For me this included things like the title screen of Final Fantasy III, the versus screen in the Sailor Moon S fighting game, and BS Zelda's water.

Sektor, you say you can't see any interference on an LCD with composite in the menu?  The interference usually increases once you start loading a game, but if you really don't see any then that sounds like the PAL SNES might handle things better.  I'm curious to see if this is an issue with the 1st SNES model and other models are better at eliminating it.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:55:06 AM »
My snes myth arrived today, so I set up my snes and gave it a look.
Using a pal snes with a scart cable from a gamecube I get no problems at all.

Offline mugenmidget

• Retro Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:12:42 AM »
My snes myth arrived today, so I set up my snes and gave it a look.
Using a pal snes with a scart cable from a gamecube I get no problems at all.
That's good to hear, I'm going to be hooking up my SNES with SCART RGB once I can build a converter.  I hope that will eliminate the interference issue.  But then again, it could just be that PAL SNES systems are just that awesome.
 ~sm-44.gif~

Wait, is your SCART cable for SCART-RGB or is it SCART carrying something like composite instead?

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 07:04:56 AM »
I'm using GC scart too(the original one that comes with the console) and i haven't noticed anything similar to this.

The only thing i noticed is a little issue with Chrono trigger.Some times the game leaves a big black surface(which is normal) when doing the tutorial animations(for example) , and the screen looks like half of the surface(splited vertically) has 2 different levels of black color.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »

Wait, is your SCART cable for SCART-RGB or is it SCART carrying something like composite instead?

Just composite.

Offline FrankJScott

• NEO newbie
    • High Rated Trash Can Blog
Cool Knowledge Transfer Advice
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 01:00:25 AM »
In reply to the guy talking about what is training and its process, what are the agreement of partnership, lost ark knowledge transfer worth it reddit, why transmission of knowledge is important, lost ark knowledge transfer limit reddit, knowledge transfer network,  I highly suggest this new knowledge transfer details or knowledge transfer kt plan template excel, knowledge transfer punika, lost ark reset skills, knowledge transfer partnership meaning, how to transfer of ownership in partnership, knowledge transfer punika reddit, on top of this top knowledge transfer details alongside all how to unlock knowledge transfer lost ark reddit, transfer of knowledge and skills, what's another word for sharing information, what are the methods of transferring design, strathclyde partnership for transport jobs, knowledge transfer policy, on top of this top transfer of knowledge details which is also great. Also have a look at this top knowledge transfer blog as well as how to transfer sheet in excel, ark transfer items between characters, knowledge transfer document template word, ways of knowledge transfer, how to transfer partnership firm to proprietorship, examples of knowledge transfer activities, as well as this cool transfer of knowledge details as well as knowledge transfer partnership agreement, knowledge transfer network address, transfer of knowledge theory definition, what is training and its process, two types of transfer knowledge, how to unlock knowledge transfer lost ark reddit, as well as useful transfer of knowledge tips which is also worth a look. I also suggest this excellent knowledge transfer advice not to mention what are the three types of transfer of learning, how to learn excel for finance, four main types of channels of knowledge transfer, lost ark cannot knowledge transfer rohendel, lost ark knowledge transfer feiton reddit, what is non transferable lc, as well as this useful transfer of knowledge site alongside all four main types of channels of knowledge transfer, knowledge transfer or powerpass reddit, knowledge transfer plan, among cognitive objectives what refers to the transfer of knowledge from one concept to another, what's another word for sharing knowledge, what are the theories of transfer of learning, not to mention updated transfer of knowledge info which is also great. Finally, have a look at this useful transfer of knowledge url for good measure. Check more Awesome Web Slot Blog 192da09

Offline FrankJScott

• NEO newbie
    • High Rated Trash Can Blog
Updated Dog Behaviour Info
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 09:16:06 PM »
In response to the lady inquiring about 11 month old puppy behavior, dog rescue behavior problems, lab puppy behavior, dominant behaviour in dogs, border collie behavior training, kelpie behaviour problems,  I highly recommend this updated dog behaviour link or husky dog behaviour, aggressive possessive dog behavior, canine behaviour academy, miniature schnauzer behaviour, puppy behaviour at 7 months, dog on heat behaviour, alongside all this updated dog behaviour tips alongside all dog puberty behavior, aggressive dog behaviour training, 12 week old puppy behavior, protective aggressive dog behavior, dog dominant aggressive behavior, nesting behavior in dogs, alongside all this awesome dog behaviour advice which is also great. Also have a look at this useful dog behaviour tips and don't forget 6 month old puppy behavior, indian spitz behaviour, play behavior in dogs, 16 month old puppy behavior, typical dog behavior, frightened dogs behaviour, on top of this high rated dog behaviour blog on top of ****er spaniel behavior problems, husky puppies behavior, vizsla behaviour, rescue dog behaviour, dog behavior suddenly changed, timid dog behaviour, on top of awesome dog behaviour tips which is also worth a look. I also recommend this useful dog behaviour tips alongside all japanese spitz behaviour, american staffy behaviour problems, dog biting play behavior, labrador dog behavior, aggressive dog behavior towards strangers, whippet behavior, on top of this high rated dog behaviour details as well as pet dog behaviour, fear behaviour in dogs, neutered male dog behavior, guarding behaviour dogs, better dog training and behaviour, unusual behaviour in dogs, and don't forget excellent dog behaviour blog which is also great. Finally, have a look at this top rated dog behaviour forum for good measure. Check more Recommended Dog Behaviour Blog bab2669