Author Topic: Sonic & Knuckles "Lock On"  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Nintendud

Sonic & Knuckles "Lock On"
« on: November 30, 2009, 03:16:03 AM »
I discovered this by accident.

If you add Sonic & Knuckles to your ROM list, it will recognize the next ROM in the list as a "locked on" cartridge. It makes sense, since that's probably what resides in the address space past the S&K ROM image.

This can be a bit bothersome, though. This means that S&K needs to be the last ROM on the cart to function normally. It's also pretty cool. I wonder if this works for other cartridges that had "lock on" technology? No time for me to test this now, though.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: Sonic & Knuckles "Lock On"
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:51:58 AM »
I discovered this by accident.

If you add Sonic & Knuckles to your ROM list, it will recognize the next ROM in the list as a "locked on" cartridge. It makes sense, since that's probably what resides in the address space past the S&K ROM image.

This can be a bit bothersome, though. This means that S&K needs to be the last ROM on the cart to function normally. It's also pretty cool. I wonder if this works for other cartridges that had "lock on" technology? No time for me to test this now, though.

There's nothing in either menu for this, so it's probably in the Windows app. All it would have to do is to make the size of the S&K rom in the menu entry bigger - big enough to make the menu load both S&K and the next rom. Pretty simple, but it won't work (properly) with Sonic 2 as that requires an extra rom inside S&K that only is activated when Sonic 2 is detected. Ever notice that dumps of S&K + S2 are bigger than S&K and S2 added together? That's why.

Offline King Of Chaos

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »
Yeah, S&K and S2 need the 256 KB UPMEM ROM for its lock-on (in the middle of S&K and S2). I actually have a version of Sonic & Knuckles with the UPMEM data attached to the end of it so it should work fine for this (it works fine in Kega and works fine when I merge S2 with the ROM). =P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:32:58 PM by King Of Chaos »

Offline Haime1951

• NEO newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 07:22:56 PM »
I have played this game before but I didn't know about this trick. I would like to try this trick and see how it works in-game. I was searching for some homework help service on-line as I needed help with my homework and would like to know some services that could help me with it. If anyone knows any good services for this task please tell me.