Author Topic: After much testing my unexpected review (english/instructions)  (Read 4530 times)

Offline frazprg

After much testing my unexpected review (english/instructions)
« on: November 27, 2005, 02:44:35 PM »
Well ive used this neo flash kit for 2 weeks now and Im half impressed and half dissapointed.

I tested the neo flash kit 3in1 with 512 cart. I have to say it works with almost everything I can through at it so far. Ive tested all the roms twice in my experience, one with the magic key provided in the kit then 2 with the flashme firmware v5 and the results were the same aside from the wounder of not having a huge box sticking out of the nds port.

Firstly one thing Im hearing alot of people are having problems with is loading the nds roms. When your getting white screens and no loading this isnt really your fault in most cases and seems to be the cause for alot of confusion in the scene. I found (and correct me if im wrong i.e. test this theory for yourself) that if a roms loading size is 256 or 512 it will not work on neoflash cards (or at least not mine). You can refur to the lists to see what files are what sizes on the cart, http://releases.pocketheaven.com/?system=nds&section=release_list
When you use and rom with 128 or less (like 0145 - Spider-Man 2 (E)(Trashman).nds =128/4kb EEPROM (Saves on DS Game)Metroid Demo) the rom works perfectly but alot of the newer games are alot bigger in size, this is likely do to content.

So if your woundering why your mario kart download doesnt work and you are picking the vets brains on why it doesnt work then this is probably the problem. Now dont take me for an expert at all PLEASE try this yourself, if you find differently please correct me because I cant get these to work for the life of me eather. Ive used the gst patchers (all 3 unless there are more beyond 3.3) and ndspatch and so far as the small roms (128 or less) they both work perfectly.

Saving your gameplay seems to be pretty easy but can drive a noob like me nuts trying to find out how they work. Generally Ive been using clean dumps (sounds so dirty) and when I need to load the a nds rom for saving ndspatch.exe seems to be the way to go. Firstly you should place the patch tools+rom files in C:\Documents and Settings\<yourusernamehere> then you start up the dos prompt (start\run\cmd) and type ndspatch.exe "0145 - Spider-Man 2 (E)(Trashman).nds" [-nosave] and hit enter. This will create a new patched file and then use your neo power kit to add it to the cart, before you start notice that save type=none and saver size=0, if they dont the you should set them as such. Now you can burn all and pop in and play using your magic key and metroid demo (the nds rom necessary is listed on many websites so find out which rom you should use to save your game, there seems to be 3 major ones;mario64ds, metroid demo, zookeeper, and most recently maden somethin or another).

Now if you can infact save to the gba cart without a need to save to a nds game then you can do the same thing but this time when patching the rom type ndspatch.exe "0145 - Spider-Man 2 (E)(Trashman).nds"
without the [-nosave] and hit enter. Here you will have to burn it to your card but first check the lists and find out the saver type and size. It will likely be set alread but if it isnt you should know how to set it. I find that a 64kbit saver size translates to a 512kbit size in neo powerkit (this may be wrong but it saves aok, besides you can only burn one rom at a time so save size really isnt an issue so you can likely go nuts here), now the saver type is specific to the rom but is most commonly eeprom so set it to what your game specifies in the lists and then burn it. Now your game should run and save properly.

Now I personaly like saving to a nds cart, I went out and got a proaction replay for gameboyA sp with nds support. The thing is basicly garbage, it does have cheats for gba but the design makes it prone to bumping the gba cart crashing the game midgameplay. The nds games cant use the cheats but it has nds support for backing up gamesaves and loading them on the pc so all who worry about backing up saves may want to test this out. It works well with my mario 64 cart but I never tried with a game using neo flash but its basicly the exact same thing, just remember to label your saves properly so you dont get confused and end up with 50 mario64 saves.

Ill try to update that part about pro action replay and confirm that it works but I bet it does.

Please give some feedback here cause Im not really a great writer and Im pretty much a noob to all this myself but with all the researching ive done in the past few weeks I think im on to something here... Neo flash kit does not work with roms 256 and up...

Offline frazprg

Re: After much testing my unexpected review (english/instructions)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 05:31:57 AM »
Update, After alot of messing around I managed to get a 256rom size to work properly using gstpatcher3.1 using the gba file and selecting none on saver type and size.

So It seems I proved myself wrong here, so dont stray away just yet. It would seem that anything should play properly on the neo flash gba cart but Ill test the largest files I can to make shure anything will run.

Update, yes infact nintendogs in gba.nds using gstpatch3.1 works without the need to a ds game. it used flash savertype with 2048 saver size.

Wow now the only thing that could go wrong is if games started using sizes larger than 512.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:58:10 AM by frazprg »

Offline Zooz

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 06:03:53 AM »
ok so to recap

1- Patch rom with [nosave] to save on the nds card thats plugged in the magic key

2- If u want to save on the 512 cart that came with neoflash patch the rom , and select the saver type.

Can you tell me whats the difference between the types of savers. EEPROM, FLASH etc.

thanks, your post helped me a lot (yet another noob  :-X)

Offline frazprg

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 11:54:07 AM »
Normaly if your using an nds card to save your game you dont really need to set this when your burning to your gba cart but you do need an nds game that has the same savertype as the one you are using. If you can save to the gba card you need to set this if it isnt already specified when you put it in your power kit program.

Now this simply are the style of memory ram equiped on the real nintendo cartridge. Eeprom seems to be common in alot of the first generation games that came out, flash seems to be very common in games that came out recently. The size is specified because some games save more information than others so they need a bigger file to save to, this is why they specify 64k, 4k or whatever.

Now you can look at this list here to see what sizes each game have and how they save the best.
http://www.dualscene.net/djoen/ndspatcherlist/data.php

I would suggest tracking down the nds etool on that old google so you can backup your saves on the pc, its helpful since you use the same rom over and over to save different games.