Author Topic: the NEO 4GB review from maxconsole.net  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
the NEO 4GB review from maxconsole.net
« on: February 02, 2006, 05:31:02 PM »

Neo 2 in 1 Converter Including 4GB Microdrive Review

Pros
+ Simple Installation
+ Works exactly like a Memory Stick
+ 4GB Microdrive included
+ Media is swappable, unlike other Products on the market
+ Price of entire unit is cheaper then the cost of purchasing a 4gb Microdrive separately
+ Allows usage of CompactFlash and Microdrive cards which are cheaper then PSP Brand Memory Sticks
+ Memory Stick connection on outside, so once installed no need to swap or remove
+ Much faster access when running from Card vs UMD
+ Extra storage space allows massive amounts of homebrew, Music, and Video

Cons
- Connection cable between the Unit and Memory card slot is flimsy
- Same cable does get in the way when holding the unit if not covered by protective sticker
- Protective sticker prohibits opening of the UMD drive
- Does not fit into any known case with Unit attached
- Memory Stick slot positioned poorly and needs spring loading
- No case for Unit when unattached
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
Re: the NEO 4GB review from maxconsole.net
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 05:31:46 PM »

Neo 2 in 1 Converter Including 4GB Microdrive Review

Welcome to the Neo 2in1 Converter

Hello everyone, and welcome to the in depth review of the Talismoon Neo 2in1 Converter for PSP (2in1). We received our final review version of the 2in1 earlier this week, and after playing around with the unit extensively for the last several days, we shall see how this product is able to withstand the rigors of day to day use. We have loaded every conceivable media onto this device to see exactly how well it fares. Will it go the distance, or is it just another chump in the ring?

Available Soon: Divineo CN

The Quest for Storage

When the PSP was released, one of the features was the ability to load music, videos, pictures, and more to a Memory Stick and utilize the PSP as a full Multimedia Device. Naturally it didn’t take long to realize that the 32mb card supplied initially was woefully inadequate for anything other then Save Games and a few songs and pictures at best. Want to put a full Playlist together or maybe put some videos or movies on there? Well, time to pony up some more cash for a new Memory Stick. Initially only 512mb Sticks were available, followed by a 1gb Stick a few months later. Right around this time, there was also an explosion in the PSP Homebrew scene. With the ability to run Homebrew Emulators, Utilities, and even full UMDs directly from the Memory Stick, even the 1gb version was practically obsolete by the time it hit the market. That, coupled with the fact that the PSP Memory Sticks are massively overpriced, has led to several manufacturers looking into alternatives for storage.

Enter Neo 2in1 Converter

One of the solutions to this ‘Quest for Storage’ is Talismoon’s Neo 2in1 Converter for PSP. The 2in1 is a unit that is designed to attach directly to the back of the PSP, and from there you can insert the Media into it. The 2in1 accepts CompactFlash Cards, Microdrives, and any of the Media Sticks that are designed to work in the PSP. CompactFlash Cards and Microdrives have been utilized in the Digital Photography and Handheld PC worlds for several years now, so the cost of the media is substantially lower then that of the Memory Sticks.

Ooooo pretty…

The first thing you will notice about the 2in1 is the sleek packaging. It is a small, lightweight blister package that utilizes one of those fancy prism designs that shine all sorts of colors of the rainbow and really stands out on the shelf. Along the side and back of the box is a stream of Matrix code that screams ‘Welcome to 1999!’ but other then that it is nice to look at. The 2in1 is visible at the bottom, and directly above it is the 4gb Microdrive in all its glory.

Hey Cletus, How do you use this crazy thing?

Upon opening the box, you are presented with the 2in1 Unit itself, a Magicstor 4gb Microdrive, Velcro, and 2 Protective stickers. Talismoon did not see fit to include any instructions within the box.

However, there is a 3 step ‘Operation Instructions’ list on the back, which basically says the following:

1) Plug it in
2) Insert Memory
3) Play

Not exactly the most details of instructions, are they? I get more detailed instructions on the back of my shampoo bottle. Nevertheless, the 2in1 is simple to install and takes less then a minute. Essentially, you remove any Memory Sticks you may have in, plug in the Adaptor on the end of the cable, attach Velcro to the back of your PSP and 2in1, and slap them together like 2 teens at Lookout Point. You can also use one of the ‘Protective Stickers’ to cover the cable running from the 2in1 to the Memory slot, but you may want to hold off on that for now, as I’ll explain later. So the whole process is straightforward and simple, but would it have killed them to put in a Xerox sheet or something with a few pictures for those who have the technical abilities of a rock?

But how does it feel?

The unit itself is very lightweight, has a nice black sheen to it, and fits onto the back of the PSP quite nicely. CompactFlash Cards and Microdrives are inserted at the top of the 2in1, and Memory Sticks are inserted at the bottom on the right. Cards inserted into the top fit snugly and remove easily, however I did have some issues with the Memory Stick slot on the bottom. Sticks felt ‘loose’ going in, and had to really be pushed in in order to connect. Unfortunately, since the unit does not have a spring release like the PSP itself, you are forced to really pull on the card to get it out. On several occasions I literally had to use my teeth to get the card out, as my fingers just couldn’t get a grip on the Stick. Also, having the Stick slot on the same side as the cable was a mistake, as you are jostling the cable when trying to remove the stick, which brings me to my largest concern: the cable that runs from the unit to the Memory slot itself. This cable is small and thin, and feels very fragile. During testing I opened and closed the UMD drive dozens of times, and removed the 2in1 and reattached it several times. Although I personally had no issues, because of the flimsy nature of the cable I would hope that it would hold up in the long run. I have heard reports of the cable breaking, so be sure to be very careful when moving the unit around or removing Memory Sticks.

Once everything is in place, the unit feels quite comfortable, and does not really affect the weight of the unit at all. Since the unit is attached to the center of the UMD drive, everything is balanced fine. During prolonged sessions however, I found my fingers rubbing up against the cable. Obviously this occurred all the time, and was neither painful nor very distracting, but during long gaming sessions was noticeable.

One issue I did have was with the ‘Protective Stickers’ that came with the unit. As there were no instructions included with the unit, my assumption is that these are included in order to cover and protect the cable during use. However, once you attach the sticker, the 2in1 is essentially ‘locked’ into place, meaning the UMD drive will not open. Unless you use your PSP completely for homebrew, and never intend to use the UMD drive, these stickers are useless.

And now… On with the Show!

Once you have the 2in1 connected, it is time to fire up the PSP! Adding and removing Cards to the 2in1 is the same as with a Memory Stick, you can do it anytime the PSP is not accessing the memory card. When new memory is inserted, a small blue LED on the back of the 2in1 blinks to let you know it sees it, which is a nice touch. Once memory is inserted, the PSP sees it just like any Memory Stick. Success! The PSP recognized the 4gb CompactFlash card right away! As always, the first thing I did was use the PSP to format the card. This took a whopping 3 seconds! Wish my PC were that fast!

Installing files onto the 2in1 worked exactly as they would on a Memory Stick. After putting the PSP into USB mode, I was able to drag and drop all of my Music, Photos, Movies, and Homebrew onto the Card without any issues. The transfer speed is the same as a standard Memory Stick, so there is no delay in going from the PSP to the 2in1 then to the CompactFlash Card.

Movies and Photos and Music, oh my!

With 4gb of room, there is now plenty of room for all of your favorite media! Want to bring the entire Original Star Wars Trilogy movies with you? No problem, just leave the ****tacular Jar-Jar Trilogy at home though! Got Disco Fever and need to bring along your complete collection of Bee Gees MP3s? Go for it! Why not carry around all of those blackmail pictures of your Ex while you are at it too? At 4gb you will have plenty of room for all of your needs. Since you can now use standard CompactFlash and Microdrives, if you run out of space you can pick up more cards for a fraction of the price of a new Memory Stick. I tested the unit with the included Magicstor Microdrive, an IMB1gb Microdrive, 3 different CompactFlash Cards, and both Samsung and Sony Memory Sticks. All were recognized by the 2in1 and worked flawlessly. Also on a whim I placed the Magicstor drive into my Digital Camera, and that worked too… Whoohoo!

Video and Audio Playback worked perfectly. I converted my DVD of Kung-Fu Hustle (cause when I Roll, Stephen Chow Rolls with me) to PSP format, then installed it and played it from beginning to end. Not a glitch or hiccup anywhere. One nice feature is that since the 2in1 sticks out on the back, it acts like a stand when watching Movies. MP3s also played perfectly from the Unit with no pauses or skips.

Diving headfirst into the Grey Area

If you are one of the fortunate people to still have a PSP with 1.5 firmware, then you are in luck. The 2in1 played all homebrew that I tested perfectly. I tested with most of the popular Emulators and everything loaded just fine. And with the extra storage space you can have all of your old favorite Turbografx-CD and Neo-CD games on the go. Me Bouncy!

(Note: during this portion of the review, I will be discussing running UMD games from the memory card. This reviewer does not condone software piracy, and running UMDs from the Memory card should only be done if you own the original UMD. Support the Developers so that they may create bigger and better games!)

One of the biggest complaints I have using the PSP can be summed up in 3 words: Loading: Please Wait… Many of the PSP games, particularly the first generation ones, suffer from ridiculous load times. Nothing ruins a game more then when you spend more time on Loading screens then actually playing the game. Constant spinning of the UMD drive also has the added bonus of draining your PSP battery, which is woefully short to begin with in the first place. If you are running 1.5 firmware, then you have the ability to run many of the games directly from the Memory Card. Running backups of all of your favorite UMDs works wonderfully too. As a test, I loaded one of my favorite games, Wipeout Pure, directly onto the Memory Card and launched it from there. Wow, what a difference! Just look at these numbers:

Time to Language Menu: UMD: 36 seconds Memory Card: 16 seconds
Time to load Race UMD: 15 seconds Memory Card: 8 seconds

Big difference huh? Most load times are cut in half, if not more. These numbers are consistent across all games that can be loaded onto a Memory Card. That, coupled with the fact that no UMD access = longer battery life, means that you can spend more time playing your favorite games and less time loading and charging. And with 4gb of space you can bring along several of your favorite games at the same time while not having to worry about carrying all of your extra UMDs too.

Neo Flash 2 in 1 converter - Mass PSP storage in a Flash

I would have to say that for the most part this is a fairly impressive product. Overall design is fairly straight forward, and simple to install. The product works exactly as it is intended to, and certainly makes a fine addition to any PSP owners’ bag of goodies. With this product you have the ability to store massive amounts of media, and can swap the cards out at will using much cheaper media than Sony’s expensive Memory Stick format. Considering the entire package with a 4gb Microdrive is actually cheaper then if you bought a 4gb Microdrive by itself, if you have the money then I would certainly recommend it, even if you are just in the market for a new Microdrive itself. Also, if you have the proper firmware, it will allow you to run some UMDs that you own directly from the Memory Card, speeding up loading times and saving on battery life massively.

There are a few niggling aspects to the unit, such as the flimsy feeling cable, the useless ‘Protective Stickers’, an improperly positioned Memory Stick slot that needs spring loading, and the fact that the unit does not come with a Storage Case when not in use, but overall the plusses of this unit far outweigh the negatives. In my opinion, the Talismoon Neo 2in1 Converter is one of the more useful accessories to come along for the PSP, and absolutely recommended despite a few shortcomings!

Pros

+ Simple Installation
+ Works exactly like a Memory Stick
+ 4GB Microdrive included
+ Media is swappable, unlike other Products on the market
+ Price of entire unit is cheaper then the cost of purchasing a 4gb Microdrive separately
+ Allows usage of CompactFlash and Microdrive cards which are cheaper then PSP Brand Memory Sticks
+ Memory Stick connection on outside, so once installed no need to swap or remove
+ Much faster access when running from Card vs UMD
+ Extra storage space allows massive amounts of homebrew, Music, and Video

Cons

- Connection cable between the Unit and Memory card slot is flimsy
- Same cable does get in the way when holding the unit if not covered by protective sticker
- Protective sticker prohibits opening of the UMD drive
- Does not fit into any known case with Unit attached
- Memory Stick slot positioned poorly and needs spring loading
- No case for Unit when unattached

Available Soon: Divineo CN

Official Website: NeoFlash.com (As of today they have uploaded fully detailed step by step pictures of the installation procedure) --- http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,1578.0.html

original link: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=content&itemid=171
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 05:34:50 PM by Dr.neo »
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......