Author Topic: Gameboy Mono/Color Flash Cart  (Read 88645 times)

Offline RGB_Gamer

Gameboy Mono/Color Flash Cart
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:01:04 AM »
Neoflash really should make a Gameboy Mono/Color flash cart with Neo2-SD support. EMS ones are ok. The bung xchanger/doctorGB ones are hard to find, and use out dated parallel ports. Largest carts that exist are 64mb. That is way too small, even for gameboy mono - and gameboy color ROMs take up more space, so 64mb fills up way too quick. Emulation of Gameboy Mono/Color even on NDS is unacceptable.

please make a Neoflash Gameboy Mono/Color flash cart!

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: Gameboy Mono/Color Flash Cart
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »
Currently the Smart card is the best out there and any game that i've tried it just work , but this one is also 64Mb and when the best games
are about 8Mb(GB)  & up to 16Mb for GBC you have to do some good management of the available space.

So yeah a Myth GB/GBC flashcart would be cool , but regarding SD support , they have to "drop" the GBA cart-powered SD support and
implement a simple interface inside the cartidge.

But i do have some doubts about getting SD to work.Unless there's a nice z80 compiler one would have to port (at least) the PFF library(forget FF.This could take
months of work) to z80 assembly!  ..or to write a brand new custom C compiler that will output z80 instructions ..
~sm-34.gif~

This is a very hard task , so don't get your hopes up  ~sm-70.gif~.gif

ps ~~ Neoflash should really make a poll to get ideas about new products.  ~sm-41.gif~
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:50:16 AM by Conle »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:54:36 AM »
Well, there is SDCC: http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

Certain things would have to be written in straight assembly, but it's that way for the MD and SNES as well. Even the N64 uses straight assembly for the sector data read routine.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »
Well, there is SDCC: http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

Certain things would have to be written in straight assembly, but it's that way for the MD and SNES as well. Even the N64 uses straight assembly for the sector data read routine.

Cool  :) Now there's one thing missing : The hardware  ::sm-29.gif::

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »
i don't think gb/gbc myth cart need SD, load SD on gb/gbc is very slow, i prefer to build in one 128M flash chip, and this flash chip just need a small power consume also  ~sm-54.gif~.gif
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »
Yeah, an SD card is kind of overkill for the GB/GBC.  ~sm-79.gif~.gif

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 01:47:55 PM »
Yeah, an SD card is kind of overkill for the GB/GBC.  ~sm-79.gif~.gif

Not when you consider Gameboy Color ROMs. I have two 64mb DoctorGB flash carts and each barely fit 3-4 games each. 64mb and even 128mb is too small. Now if some sort of adapter (like the VERY RARE GB-Bridge) was made to utilize the Neoflash GBA flash carts for storing GB/GBC ROMs, that would be a good alternative.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:23:34 PM »
Not when you consider Gameboy Color ROMs. I have two 64mb DoctorGB flash carts and each barely fit 3-4 games each. 64mb and even 128mb is too small. Now if some sort of adapter (like the VERY RARE GB-Bridge) was made to utilize the Neoflash GBA flash carts for storing GB/GBC ROMs, that would be a good alternative.

Woah  ~sm-34.gif~ , you're hardcore  ~sm-50.gif~.gif

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
There's certainly a market for GB/GBC flash carts. It's a popular console among some musicians who use GB apps like LSDJ or Nanoloop to create music, either live or offline. And then there are the retro gamers, etc.

The problem is that there's already some competition on the GB flash cart market. AFAIK there are 3 or 4 different carts that you can but right now, including a 64 Mbit cart that you can get for under $40. It would probably be hard to compete on price, so a new cart would need some other advantage, like more space (but still not cost too much).

Slightly OT: I'd much rather see a Neo Geo Pocket Color flash cart, since the Bung carts have been out of production for a long time and are nearly impossible to find. The market for such a cart is probably very small, but I'd buy it the instant it was released even if it cost $100 for a 32 Mbit cart ;D

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »
hehe mic_ , i'll consider your request  ~sm-75.gif~.gif

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 01:31:38 AM »
hehe mic_ , i'll consider your request  ~sm-75.gif~.gif

Dr. Neo,

Please consider a GB/GBC cart.

Take a look at this:

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/flash_card/gb_bridge.htm

That is the GB-Bridge (which is nearly impossible to find and no website I have seen in the last 2-3 years sells this), which allows you to use a Flash2Advance cart to store GB/GBC games. If you made a device like this that could utilize the Neo2-SD cart, that would be perfect.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 03:06:54 AM »
You'd need some sort of RAM (16 MBit?) on the cart to move the game to before running it (well, besides the extra RAM you'd need to support all the different MBCs).
Add a CPLD for MBC emulation and other functionality.
Perhaps some sort of extra processor (AVR, PIC, MSP430) to interface with the SD card, because I doubt anyone is interested in doing that on the GB-Z80.

The cart will probably drain your batteries pretty fast. And the price would probably be higher than for any other GB flash cart.

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »
You'd need some sort of RAM (16 MBit?) on the cart to move the game to before running it (well, besides the extra RAM you'd need to support all the different MBCs).
Add a CPLD for MBC emulation and other functionality.
Perhaps some sort of extra processor (AVR, PIC, MSP430) to interface with the SD card, because I doubt anyone is interested in doing that on the GB-Z80.

The cart will probably drain your batteries pretty fast. And the price would probably be higher than for any other GB flash cart.

yes mic_ is right, it'll ask more power consume if use the bridge, but the advantage is can use neo2 cart on gb/gbc directly,
so: user like the bridge or just one new gb/gbc cart (build in 128m)?  ~sm-51.gif~.gif

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
I vote for the bridge  ~sm-42.gif~
With menu one could use the NEO2 GBA SRAM to manage saves and no other cart out there supports this feature.  :)

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »
I would like to see a bridge so you could use Neo2 carts (hopefully even an Neo2-SD). 64mb (largest available) is just too small - especially with GB Color games