Author Topic: Gameboy Mono/Color Flash Cart  (Read 89004 times)

Offline Narann

• NEOob
Re: Gameboy Mono/Color Flash Cart
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »
Personally , i really hope to see Neoteam work on drive emulators(With some HDD interface) , to save retro consoles like Dreamcast/Sega Saturn/PS1/Sega CD....
+1000!
SD and HDD really save life! CD, DVD are not stronger to resist to the time. :'(

Offline Aleomark

• Just a gamer!
    • El otro lado
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 08:24:50 PM »
I Just remember it, I was going to say a nice idea but forgot, I guess everybody knows how difficult and expensive now days are the DC broadband adapter, people sell it for more than 150 bucks on eBay, maybe sell these adapters at low price, I know a lot of people would be interested, cause is the only "easy" way to get DC online now with nice speed.

Offline Narann

• NEOob
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 09:23:04 PM »
Yes, broadband is a very high cost method and it's not easy to find... GameCube have the same prob...

Now, SD and HDD are very "standard" and easy to find. It doesn't need specific hardware an/or softwares. (N64 menu is the better exemple: open source, copy the rom as file, play, get the save as file, etc...)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 12:23:31 AM »
I don't see a DC broadband coming.The production costs would be quite high that would be much more expensive that the official  ::sm-07.gif::
It would be better solution if they could make just the internal part , and then the end user could just modify the stock-56k modem to install the new board.That's very possible actually.   ~sm-57.gif~.gif

The drive emulator would also be expensive , although , a Dreamcast with a drive emulator is pretty much impossible to "break".Well , maybe the battery might
need replacement every 5~7 years but you can find them at any store and even someone's who's bad at soldering(like me  >:D ) could do it.

Overall , those retro console(DC,SAT,PS1) have really quality hardware...Just the lens are the weak part(Except for the SAT which has pretty good drive.At least i never had any problems with my SATs after all these years).
 ^-^

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 01:45:56 AM »
Overall , those retro console(DC,SAT,PS1) have really quality hardware...Just the lens are the weak part(Except for the SAT which has pretty good drive.At least i never had any problems with my SATs after all these years).

Yeah, I have a Saturn that I bought (used) back in 1998 that's still going strong. But a drive emulator with an SD/CF slot would be great.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 02:43:04 AM »

The sad thing is that there are no other dev-groups that can work on such intense project(And if they are , they produce 'JukeBoxes"(See the wii drive emulator)) , so lets just hope that neoteam will do it at some point ~sm-76.gif~.gif

But a drive emulator with an SD/CF slot would be great.

The interface would also have to be really fast and hw accelerated , though.
(Especially for the DC.It can stream data from GDROM  at around 1.8MB (MB not Mbit  ~sm-73.gif~.gif ) per second.

Offline Morden

• ║║█│││█│║│││║║│█║
    • Morden's Gaming Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »
Quote from: mic
There's certainly a market for GB/GBC flash carts. It's a popular console among some musicians who use GB apps like LSDJ or Nanoloop (...)

Nanoloop is distributed in cartridge form only. Nanoloop roms that float around are the demo versions. There are many other GB programs intended for musicians, most of which are free, too. Like the Carillon Editor [a great tracker].

The problem is that there's already some competition on the GB flash cart market. AFAIK there are 3 or 4 different carts that you can but right now, including a 64 Mbit cart that you can get for under $40.

The 64 Mbit cartridge actually has two 32 Mbit banks, so you're not able to use all that space at once, even though only one or two games have reached that size. A huge downside to the EMS cartridge is that it only has one save space. Also, you can either burn all color or all b&w games to a given bank, which is obvious, and not any kind of a flaw.

Slightly OT: I'd much rather see a Neo Geo Pocket Color flash cart, since the Bung carts have been out of production for a long time and are nearly impossible to find. The market for such a cart is probably very small, but I'd buy it the instant it was released even if it cost $100 for a 32 Mbit cart

I second that. I wouldn't mind paying good money for a proper flash cartridge for the NGP / NGPC. I would pay even more for a flash device for the WonderSwan. There's been only one flash device for this console, and even if you're willing to pay a huge amount of money, good luck with finding one. There's also the official WonderWitch device, but it doesn't run commercial games, obviously, and it costs a fortune.

Offline tobio

• NEO newbie
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 03:27:32 AM »
I'm going to revive this thread because i'm not sure which section to start a new one on,  but its on topic to the original post.

The GB Bridge already works with the neo2pro cartridges (you have to do some funky hex editing to get the gbc2gba menu to the right spot of memory)  Game saves work, 32Mbit games work and if you unscrew the casing on a super gameboy it works in there too (It doesn't physically fit in with the case on)

If a custom menu was programmed for gb which scanned the neo2 1024Mb area for roms to load, rather than the first menu rom area which is all the existing gb menu is aware of, it should be possible to utilise all the rom space for storage like with the SNES, MD etc.

Its so frustrating for me because I can see in my mind exactly what needs to be done, but I have zero programming experience and don't know where to begin.  But then its nice to be able to play my roms on the real hardware again because I don't have any of the bung cartridges anymore, or a working parallel port which was the reason for me to work on getting the GB Bridge going in the first place.

If anyone wants to contact me with assistance of how this was done I'll be happy to help through this forum.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
For those of you don't like the current crop of GB/GBC flashcarts, here's a new one that's currently in development. ETA is apparently later this year.

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 06:27:29 AM »
For those of you don't like the current crop of GB/GBC flashcarts, here's a new one that's currently in development. ETA is apparently later this year.

Like all other GB/GBC flashcarts, it doesn't exceed 64mb. The best flash cart would be one that was larger than 64mb, or have SD (or microSD) card slot to increase storage.

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 06:46:43 AM »
I'm going to revive this thread because i'm not sure which section to start a new one on,  but its on topic to the original post.

The GB Bridge already works with the neo2pro cartridges (you have to do some funky hex editing to get the gbc2gba menu to the right spot of memory)  Game saves work, 32Mbit games work and if you unscrew the casing on a super gameboy it works in there too (It doesn't physically fit in with the case on)

If a custom menu was programmed for gb which scanned the neo2 1024Mb area for roms to load, rather than the first menu rom area which is all the existing gb menu is aware of, it should be possible to utilise all the rom space for storage like with the SNES, MD etc.

Its so frustrating for me because I can see in my mind exactly what needs to be done, but I have zero programming experience and don't know where to begin.  But then its nice to be able to play my roms on the real hardware again because I don't have any of the bung cartridges anymore, or a working parallel port which was the reason for me to work on getting the GB Bridge going in the first place.

If anyone wants to contact me with assistance of how this was done I'll be happy to help through this forum.

How would I edit the gbc2gba menu to utilize the neo2pro? Also, why not just utilize it's SD slot to store more games?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:08:04 AM by RGB_Gamer »

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »
Also, why not just utilize it's SD slot to store more games?

Because you'd have to port the diskio library in order to get pff (the FAT library) working.  In order to meet the memory constraints and get decent performance this would most likely mean rewriting the diskio code in GB-Z80 assembly - something that could take weeks (and that's assuming that you have all the information needed, which we currently don't).

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 12:14:51 AM »

can you describe how to edit the gbc2gba file so that the neo2pro works with the gb bridge?

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 01:12:59 AM »
@ tobio:
can you describe how to edit the gbc2gba file so that the neo2pro works with the gb bridge?

That would be interesting for me, too!  ~sm-48.gif~.gif
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 02:40:46 AM »
Because you'd have to port the diskio library in order to get pff (the FAT library) working.  In order to meet the memory constraints and get decent performance this would most likely mean rewriting the diskio code in GB-Z80 assembly - something that could take weeks (and that's assuming that you have all the information needed, which we currently don't).

There is an easier way : Re-write diskio & PFF library using very basic structured C code[1*] then use the SDCC compiler to ...compile that code :)

[1*] : Since the compiler fails to generate complex code , the rewrite rules would be :
-No structures
-No input/output to/from functions
-Support only 1 open file using static variables placed on ram
-Use a small static buffer for up to 1-2sectors(2 would be better for browsing directories without much delay)
-To speedup reading a bit it wouldn't hurt to write the sector reads in asm and also the f_read(
-Optimizations would be disabled(obviously)

(PS - We can do this for the SMS menu aswell  8))
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:47:57 AM by Conle »