Author Topic: Gameboy Mono/Color Flash Cart  (Read 88615 times)

Offline RGB_Gamer

Re: Gameboy Mono/Color Flash Cart
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 03:10:41 AM »
conle,

i am not a programmer, so i have no idea how to do all that. I just want to use my neo2 sd or neo2 pro with my gb bridge for gbc/gb mono games

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »
conle,

i am not a programmer, so i have no idea how to do all that. I just want to use my neo2 sd or neo2 pro with my gb bridge for gbc/gb mono games

I was only replying to mic_'s post.What you're asking for cannot be done without writing some sort of menu/loader first.

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2011, 01:29:21 AM »
Tobio, can you explain how to get the gb bridge to work with the f2a pro? Perhaps you can upload an edited gb2gba file

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2011, 03:39:49 AM »
I'd recommend sending him a PM, considering that his post is over 2 months old and that the guy isn't a regular poster here. If you send a PM he should get an email notification to the address he used when he registered, so there's a greater chance that he'll notice it.

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 04:03:45 AM »
I'd recommend sending him a PM, considering that his post is over 2 months old and that the guy isn't a regular poster here. If you send a PM he should get an email notification to the address he used when he registered, so there's a greater chance that he'll notice it.

I did when i first revived this thread but he replied here. It would be nice for him to respond here rather than a PM so all can see

I did when i first revived this thread but he replied here. It would be nice for him to respond here rather than a PM so all can see

Offline tobio

• NEO newbie
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 02:22:42 AM »
Hi All,

Super slack of me for not following up my post for like a year or something.  I'm very easily distracted by new shiny things and flashy lights like a kind of bird. ::sm-12.gif::

anyway here are flashing commands that you should use with madmonkey's open source programmer
from this forum but home page here - http://code.google.com/p/neo-myth-programmer/

The hex editing I did, was take a 4Mbit "sacrifice" rom, and inserting the menu binary (file typically called GBC2GBA) in the last segment...  but then I found an even easier way to do this with the open source programmer (command line)

to flash the menu file first, its
./neocmd -iot menu -of 3F8000 -w <path to gbc2gba.gb>
iot menu raw flashes the menu area, -of 3F8000 is the offset address 32Kbit from the end of the menu.

then you can write one or many GB roms to the menu in the same way without the offset address.
./neocmd -iot menu -w tetris.gb

So if you flash any early 32k gameboy rom to that offset address (mario land, tetris, alleyway, tennis etc) that game will just boot as normal.  but if you put the menu there, and the roms in the beginning of the area you can choose.

For multiple games, make sure you have good dumps (no overdumps or trimmed roms as they wont line up in memory right) and join them together into one big binary file - copy /B in windows, cat in linux/mac

You can even write larger roms (no menu) by writing the first 32kbyte to that offset, then writing the rest of the rom to the beginning of the area, at 0 this overcomes the 32kb menu size limitation, and allows super gameboy games to load with the correct pallets for example.  The GB and bridge seem to read the memory in a circular way.

Now for the coders out there (sadly not me) if *someone* was able to write in 8bit gameboy language the functions that switch the neo2 cartridge memory registers from menu flash mode into game flash mode then reading gameboy games from the proper 512Mb area should be entirely possible by my (limited) understanding.  Basically if the Sega Master System can do a neoflash menu then the Gameboy should also be capable.  SD card access may well be a dream, but 512 or 1024 Mb i see as possible one day.

Most games I have tried worked fine.  The difficulty is finding a GB Bridge adapter these days, and of course its far simpler to just get a native gameboy cart :-)
If you happen to have one from somewhere, and a neo2 cart that fits in it then you could be playing your 8bit games natively right now!

The neoflash native software does do this too, but we all know its a bit rubbish, and I found it far easier using the open source command line one, and since merging files is easy in command line anyway I find the whole process way easier, managable, and reliable in that sort of environment

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »
The idea of using Neo2 carts for Gameboy b/w sounds very interesting.
Unfortunately madmonkey?s programmer isn?t that comfortable, at least not to me.
???
Maybe it is possible to include the tool to the Neo2 Manager - chillywilly, mic_, conle?

The Bung GB Bridge adapter is not that rare, e.g. I got a boxed one quite cheap at ebay...

For all those who still have their Bung Doctor GB cart, there is a way to modify the Neo XG-Writer to flash your old carts without the need of a parallel port:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?33610-write-and-dump-a-Doctor-GB-Card-with-an-XG-Writer&p=582522&viewfull=1#post582522

Neo2 flash for:
- Gameboy Advance (out of the box)
- Gameboy b/w (with GB bridge)
- Super NES (with Myth Adapter)
- Mega Drive (with Myth Adapter)
- Nintendo 64 (with Myth Adapter)
- NES ? (hopefully soon...)
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 07:37:53 AM »
The idea of using Neo2 carts for Gameboy b/w sounds very interesting.
Unfortunately madmonkey?s programmer isn?t that comfortable, at least not to me.
???
Maybe it is possible to include the tool to the Neo2 Manager - chillywilly, mic_, conle?

The PC client is the main software worked on by NeoFlash. Me and conle and mic just work on the menus. You'd have to address that question to Dr.neo as I don't know who works on the Neo 2 Manager.
 ~sm-64.gif~.gif

Offline stefan_iro

• It´s a me, Mario
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »
...The neoflash native software does do this too, but we all know its a bit rubbish, and I found it far easier using the open source command line one, and since merging files is easy in command line anyway I find the whole process way easier, managable, and reliable in that sort of environment

Hi tobio!

Can you please tell me (us) what I have to do when I am using the Neo2 Manager soft?
-----------------------------------
8bit & 16bit
the golden age of videogames