Author Topic: atari jaguar cart?  (Read 4980004 times)

Offline butfluffy

• NEO newbie
atari jaguar cart?
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »
what are the chances of neoflash team making a atari jaguar cart?
 i was about to buy a skunkboard until i realised there was no eeprom for saving games and considering i aint a developer it seemed like a shame that the cart aint got this function.
 kinda got me hoping that neoflash may build a good quality cart for the jaguar which will be of the same qaulity as the other fine carts so far. i would be happy with any jag flash cart with usb transfer and abilty to save.
from what i have seen of neoflash products a neoflash jaguar cart would far exceed any expectations.
the ony other jag cart i know in development is the jagcf which sounds promising but there has been talk of the people making it removing ability to play commercial games which in my opinion would suck.

Offline Morden

• ║║█│││█│║│││║║│█║
    • Morden's Gaming Blog
Re: atari jaguar cart?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »
what are the chances of neoflash team making a atari jaguar cart?

If I had to guess, I'd say slim to none? SNES, Nintendo 64, MegaDrive and PC-E are all popular platforms, while Jaguar is rather obscure, at least by comparison. Sure, it has its fanbase, but it didn't enjoy bigger commercial success [quite the opposite, in fact], and let's face it, flash cartridges sell, because people want to be able to run rom images on the real hardware. So, while all the other platforms have a lot of noteworthy titles, Jaguar is left far behind, with a small number of decent exclusives.

Also, if someone claims they're developing a flash device that purposefully won't support commercial games, I'd say they're out of their mind, as it pretty much equals failure when it comes to sales.

Offline butfluffy

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
i agree with you point about flash carts that don't support commercial games = fail. the sole reason for me not buying the skunkboard is that the developers left out the eeprom chip thus no save abilty to discourage piracy. this way only a limited run got made and they were produced for develepment purposes only. when i got my doctor v64 years back they said for develeptment only but we all knew the real reason we were buying these units lol. the jaguar scene seems to have a issue with piracy and tbh i don't get it. the machine was a flop and is old as the hills now so piracy shouldnt be an issue.
 the fact that the machine failed and is kinda obscure is what tempts me as a video game enthusiast. i just dont wanna get a jag and spend a fortune on second hand overproiced game carts on ebay. fingers crossed the jagcf (if it ever comes out) will be a hands down proper flash cart with save ability.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 03:22:06 AM »
I think the popularity depends on where you are talking about. The Jaguar was fairly popular in the US. The PC-Engine (sold in the US as the TurboGrafX-16) however, was next to unknown. NeoFlash has PC-E flash cards... probably because the PC-E was fairly popular in Japan and other parts of the Far East.

I think the NES and SMS are more likely to be up next in the Myth series since both were more popular in Japan than the Jaguar.

Offline butfluffy

• NEO newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »
sms cart would is cool idea but sms games play on the genesis flash cart don't they? suppose it is cool for people who want to play sms games on the actual console.
are there any advantages playing sms games on the actual console as apposed to playing on a genesis with the genesis flash cart? i wouldnt imagine so because as far as i know (or so i have been told) the sms hardware is contained within the genesis also as was planned by sega when they have the power base convertor in mind.
 what i am really anxious to see is the nes flash cart if it ever comes out. what mappers it supports and which games will be incompatible and so on.

Offline Morden

• ║║█│││█│║│││║║│█║
    • Morden's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 06:54:57 AM »
Quote from: ChillyWilly
I think the popularity depends on where you are talking about. The Jaguar was fairly popular in the US. The PC-Engine (sold in the US as the TurboGrafX-16) however, was next to unknown.

I guess it almost depends on whether someone you knew owned a given console, so that you could see for yourself if it was worth getting. I know plenty of people from US, who have fond memories of TG-16, but have never touched a Jaguar.

Plus, my point about Jaguar not having enough decent exclusives still stands, and would probably affect Jaguar flash cartridge sales. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a proper Jaguar flash device. On the contrary. It does seem unlikely, though.

I think the NES and SMS are more likely to be up next in the Myth series since both were more popular in Japan than the Jaguar.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a NES device. Seeing as there's already one on the market, it would be nice to give it some competition and maybe throw in some superior features.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »
I guess everyone expects from neoflash to work on a flashcart for their favorite systems..but let's face it , it doesn't worth it for some systems because of the development costs that probably won't be covered easily(if not at all for some cases).
So,i'll have to agree with Morden,...and , yeah , Atari Jaguar is one of those "cases"...  ::sm-01::

Anyway,
Currently the SMS cart seems to be almost ready for release.. so expect it soon.
^-^
PS : Hopefully we're going to see some drive emulation project for Sat/Ps1/Dc/Ps2 sometime  ~sm-79.gif~.gif
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:00:02 PM by Conle »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
Actually, a Saturn Myth would be doable, but it's not really useful for anything but homebrew since there's only one game that even used a cart and that was along with a CD, not in place of it. The only thing related to games you could do was act as save ram... which wouldn't be worth the price.

Emulating drives can be handy - I've got an SIO2SD coming in the mail. That's a device that emulates the Atari 8-bit computer drive; it emulates drives 1 to 8, and you can swap which files map to which drives on the fly. Much handier than those old 5.25" floppies. Faster too.

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »
There were about a dozen Saturn games that made use of the 4MB RAM cart, if that's what you were talking about. Actually there's one more thing you could use the cart as; a cheat device (which is exactly what the PAR+ cart is.. an Action Replay + Save manager + 4MB RAM). But you can buy those already for pretty cheap.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
Actually, a Saturn Myth would be doable, but it's not really useful for anything but homebrew since there's only one game that even used a cart and that was along with a CD, not in place of it. The only thing related to games you could do was act as save ram... which wouldn't be worth the price.

A year ago "RockinB" developed a SAT Boot cartidge in order to allow his game("Police officer Smith") to boot even
on unmodified consoles(*), so i believe there's alot of room for cool stuff here.

(*)More info here and here(pinout).

Emulating drives can be handy - I've got an SIO2SD coming in the mail. That's a device that emulates the Atari 8-bit computer drive; it emulates drives 1 to 8, and you can swap which files map to which drives on the fly. Much handier than those old 5.25" floppies. Faster too.

Cool , have fun with your new toy  :D

Anyway,
I believe that drive emulation turns an oldschool console invicible   O0O , since their only weak spot are the "moving parts" and those
happen to be just...the cd/dvd rom.
 ~sm-51.gif~.gif
Imagine playing from an external hdd ps1/sat/dc games...Just cool :D

Offline Morden

• ║║█│││█│║│││║║│█║
    • Morden's Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 08:50:48 PM »
Quote from: mic_
There were about a dozen Saturn games that made use of the 4MB RAM cart, if that's what you were talking about.

I think ChillyWilly was talking about the Ultraman game (Hikari no Kyojin Densetsu to be exact), which had a RAM cartridge included in the box, but unlike those other cartridges, this one also contained vital game data, so you couldn't replace it with just any other RAM cart you owned.

Congratulations on the SIO2SD. I'm planning to get one of those in the near future. A friend of mine got his recently, and it works like a charm. This is the stuff we need. Drive emulators for the oldies, and flash cartridges for every console available. Now, who do I have to bribe to make the WonderSwan cartridge happen?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:01:26 PM by Morden »

Offline butfluffy

• NEO newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 12:54:01 AM »
i agree with some points mentioned here. the one worry i have is that some day my drives for my old consoles will fail :( drive failure is indeed the main weakness for these systems. all my old systems are modded except the dreamcast that don't need modding.
 xbox, ps1, ps2, gamecube, saturn, dreamcast, all may die at sometime because of laser failure. would be great to emulate the drive somehow with ex hard drives. i know this is possible with ps2 but i think there are some compatibilty issues.
 i own super wild card for my snes, a super magic drive+ for my megadrive/genesis and a doctor v64 for my n64 and these units are great but i am planning on purchasing flash carts from neoflash for ease of use for these consoles. tbh the doctor v64 works real well cos it;s fairly quick with the cd drive opossed to the two old copiers i mentioned for the 8 bit systems. they use floppys or parellel port which is not well supported these days. the usb flash carts made here seem like a better option all in all.
if there is no proper atari jaguar flash cart that supports commercial games i may just get the system and track down soem the exclusives that look worth collecting and settle for that in the long run.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 01:42:33 AM »
You can mod the xbox1/ps2 consoles pretty easily...And both can be made to read games/apps from the internal HDD.
Search on google for : "PS2 FreeMCBoot" and "Original Xbox softmod".(If you've got a friend with all the required tools its just a matter of a few minutes work)

For the Gamecube there's always WII which already has a drive emulator...~sm-36.gif~

Offline butfluffy

• NEO newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 03:55:11 AM »
yeah true. but it's the slightly older consoles that i am more keen to save the drives for. ps1, dreamcast and saturn. guess theres always the option of buying an old second hand console and stripping it for spares in the future though. either that or some clever chappies make clones of some these classic consoles with the abilty to play games of hd or something. maybe it's possible with some tech know how thats way beyond me lol.
 i've always been excited about the prospect of a super console in the future that contained all the hardware of all consoles and tghe ability to run all the games off a massive hard drive. scenario is a good few years from now and the current and old console makers such as microsoft, sega and so on are not so bothered about us playing backups from older consoles and therefore don't make a fuss about such a unit. the super console would have to be fairly large for all the component and would be expensive but i would buy one or two lol.
 i know this will never happen and it is a fantasy. i know also some people will say just get a good spec pc and all the great emulators for it and bingo but anyone who is serious about classic gaming know that whilst emulators are great and all, you cant beat the real thing for gaming.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 04:43:11 AM »
I was thinking of the rom cart for King of Fighters... from wikipedia:

Two ROM cartridges were released with Sega Saturn games: one with King of Fighters '95 and the other with Ultraman: Hikari no Kyojin Densetsu. The ROM cartridges contained part of the game data because not enough system RAM was available.

I suppose a Saturn Myth could be used as a ram cart or like the Action Replay. Boot from the menu flash into an AR like menu, be able to switch to psram or zip ram to use as a ram cart, and have the save ram as well. As pointed out above, you can get the ARP 4-in-1 cheap, so again, it's probably not worth the price.