Author Topic: NES -> SNES 'converter'?  (Read 15578 times)

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
NES -> SNES 'converter'?
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:01:36 AM »
I have seen a few r0mz on the internet which seem to be fully working NES games converted to work on a SNES.

AS - Mario Bro (NES Hack).smc

"_6@DDD@D@D@DDD@D@D@DDD" [Bad checks
um] LoROM, Corrupt, ROM, NTSC, SRAM:
Corrupt, ID:----, CRC32:5D59BBC6

They work OK in SNES9x and I tried a couple on the SNES Myth, they didn't work, although they are NTSC and I have a PAL SNES (and carts of course) I assumed that to be the problem.

Anyway, having read a few websites about the SNES, a lot of people seem to agree than the SNES should be backwards compatible with the NES yet Nintendo did nothing with that.

Does anyone know how these games were converted to run on the SNES and would it help in anyway to creating a NES emulator/converter for the SNES Myth?

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
Re: NES -> SNES 'converter'?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:15:22 AM »
The 65816 has an emulation mode which is compatible with the 6502. A lot of work would have to be done to patch memory accesses to certain areas, convert graphics data, and (especially) sound data/code.
For more details you should probably ask tomaitheous over at the nesdev forum, since he has ported a few NES games to the TurboGrafx (also a 6502:ish-based console), or Memblers who wrote an NSF player for the SNES.

Offline the|Gamer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 02:36:26 AM »
Hi,
well because Nintendo planed Compatibility for NES Games on the SNES there is a NES Mode in the PPU but I dont know how to activate it!

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 02:42:01 AM »
on the SNES there is a NES Mode in the PPU
Do you have a credible source to back that claim up with? I know that both 2-bpp and 4-bpp layers are available on the SNES PPU, but I've never heard of it having something like the NES's attribute tables for example.

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 12:59:37 PM »
we are trying to make one HW to let SNES play nes/fc cart on it  ::sm-29.gif::
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline mugenmidget

• Retro Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »
AWESOME!!!  :) :) :)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »

Awesome news!
 ~sm-43.gif~

With 128Mb PSRAM + this new addition i think that no other flashcart out there could be compared with SNES/SFC myth.

>:D

Offline ~tak

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 07:41:14 PM »
sounds like a new tri-star/super 8 adapter?

:-[

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »
Are you planning to use one of those NES-on-a-chip circuits and route the audio/video output to the SNES like the Super Gameboy does? If that's the case, I hope you're aware of the compability issues (I've never heard of a NoC that can play Castlevania III properly for example, and the audio is usually inaccurate for many games).

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
Are you planning to use one of those NES-on-a-chip circuits and route the audio/video output to the SNES like the Super Gameboy does? If that's the case, I hope you're aware of the compability issues (I've never heard of a NoC that can play Castlevania III properly for example, and the audio is usually inaccurate for many games).

hehe you are right, but not 100%, our new adaptor can play Castlevania III perfectly, and support world-wide region very well, you can choose the region on your TV screen.

and, sound is not the issue with it.
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline mic_

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 04:35:12 PM »
That sounds great. Does it support expansion audio like MMC5, VRC7 and N106? What about FDS games?

Offline amptor

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 01:40:35 PM »
There was a program to convert NES to SNES made over 10 years ago but it was very, very limited what it could do.  It could only process a handful of games and, after converting, they lacked sound.  And yes Anthrox converted a few more but those also lacked sound and in place of the sound as far as I recall they put their own music.  It had been discussed for years among sceners and yes they said that the SNES could emulate the NES but progress was never made on that beyond those few addon carts that were made which you still couldn't dump the NES cart from.  If Dr Neo is coming up with something to make this work on the neo snes myth cart, that is pretty cool though.  That would be a first for any copier that exists.

Also trying to copy your own ROM into the files that are already available is futile since they are all encoded from multiple files and a proprietary source code per game conversion.  All of this has been tried many times in the past when people found the tool or the anthrox games. :)

mahi01

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »

Enter this activation code on the roku.com/link website. Then, go to the submit button. Now, Select a channel by Roku remote and according to your roku.com/link create account choice which you want to watch and like.Roku account creation · Create a Roku account to collect the Roku activation code · Tap on the account creation page · Then provide the required data roku.com/link url more visit here

mahi01

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 03:51:13 PM »
roku.com/link Activate roku from roku.com/link Enter the roku activation code at roku.com/link to enter code and enable the roku streaming device or TV. roku activation code or rRoku link code is the code used for activating the roku device. This is a unique code and can be found on your TV screen.When activating your Roku device, you should follow the Quick Start Guide and complete the on-screen instructions to connect your Roku device to the internet. Once this is complete the Roku device will display a link code on screen to link your device to your Roku account Go here link code roku tv for more information

mahi01

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 03:51:50 PM »

Create a Roku account. A Roku account gives you access to an amazing selection of movies, TV shows, music and more link code on roku tv from the Roku Channel Store. Create account Create a Roku account easily. The Roku link code will be visible on the player connected TV and you can just note it down. Once you get the code, just go to the page Roku.com/link and make sure that you open the link from a PC or smartphone Go here for  where is link code on roku tv more information