Author Topic: NEO2-SD Support  (Read 28909 times)

Offline StarshipUK

NEO2-SD Support
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:46:31 PM »
Does this work with the NEO2-SD and if not is there an ETA of when it will?

Sektor

Re: NEO2-SD Support
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »
SD isn't supported yet. I hope/guess it will be supported soon*.

* when it's done.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:56:30 PM by Sektor »

Offline StarshipUK

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I will wait and probably buy one when this is supported- although there are 2 other SNES carts on the market by other people which have been released and support SD/CF cards out of the box.

The exclusive use of expensive NEO2 Memory Carts only on this and the N64 cart has really put me off (and I expect has put other people off too). Also shipping it with a tiny 256MB card seems a bit crazy. Why not a 1GB card?

Is it a money making thing to make people also buy 1GB cards?

Sektor

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »
It's actually much smaller than 256MB, it's a 256mbit card, so 32MB. They are NOR flash, so extremely slow to write, prone to bad blocks and will get more bad blocks after approx 100,000 erases (depending on quality).

SD/CF or any NAND flash would be so much better.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:21:22 PM by Sektor »

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:26:23 AM »
The exclusive use of expensive NEO2 Memory Carts only on this and the N64 cart has really put me off

Don't forget it works directly on a DS Lite on the sega megadrive/genesis cart also.

Offline rogerpoco

• Eight-Legged Gamer/The DECO Kid
  • Neo MOD
  • BurgerTime-7,837,750 Official MAME World Record
    • My Twitch Channel-Usually Offline or BurgerTime
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
...well,sorta works directly on a DS Lite.Hard to find games that work,not fun having to start over when a game freezes...The hardware seems pretty solid,but the software never quite seemed to realize its potential. ~sm-40.gif~
You should always be yourself.
Unless you can be Billy Mitchell.
Then you should be Billy Mitchell.
https://www.twitch.tv/rogerpoco48

Offline amptor

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 12:53:31 AM »
They should maybe also make an option to flash dual mode rom switch like the N64 Myth has.  That way you would be able to use a game genie.  This more than likely would require a different menu program altogether.

Hopefully they'll add SD support to these.  It looks like with what hardware is there and how the menu is done, it is entirely possible.  But wasn't it said that if they do, the maximum ROM size (on the N64 Myth, so I am getting ahead of myself here in this forum..) is 256Mbit?  SNES probably still would be 64Mbit since it copies the game into the SNES Myth Cart itself rather than running it from the Neo2.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:33:46 AM »
The N64 Myth uses the flash directly for roms, so the largest rom depends on the size of the flash cart. Use a 256 Mbit flash cart and the biggest game is 256 Mbit. Use a 512 Mbit flash cart and the biggest is 512 Mbit.

Offline amptor

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 07:06:57 AM »
Yes but what I meant was, doesn't the Neo2 SD only have 256Mbit of RAM built in, so you wouldn't be able to run a 512Mbit rom?

And back on topic of SNES I must have either been forgetting that the 64Mbit is internal when I posted earlier or maybe I was thinking it'd be possible that, through the menu software alone, maybe the Neo2 could be programmed to boot a single ROM.

I was just also thinking since there is 2MB (or is it 4MB? I'm confused here, has to be one or the other) of space for the menu on the Neo2, couldn't a programmer program in more features such as game genie or goldfinger (err well I would prefer game genie though, where do you get codes for goldfinger anyway..never saw such a device for sale besides built into old copiers)  I mean, not that I would even use this feature ;) I think some people use cheat codes though I dunno.

Offline sanni

• Neo MOD
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:25:11 AM »
My Neo2 SD has 512Mbit, it says 256Mbit on the front though.  ::sm-29.gif::

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 03:31:48 AM »
Yes but what I meant was, doesn't the Neo2 SD only have 256Mbit of RAM built in, so you wouldn't be able to run a 512Mbit rom?

You need to use the Ultra Menu to check the size of the flash - apparently most of the Neo2-SD cards shipped recently are all 512Mbit.

And back on topic of SNES I must have either been forgetting that the 64Mbit is internal when I posted earlier or maybe I was thinking it'd be possible that, through the menu software alone, maybe the Neo2 could be programmed to boot a single ROM.

I believe that like the MD Myth, the rom bank control presented to the console only works on the PSRAM. The flash has a maximum addressable size of 1MB, with an offset for which 1MB provided by the ASIC. That is just like the MD Myth. So I believe that, again like the MD Myth, you probably could run a rom straight from the flash, but only up to 1MB (8Mbit) in size.

I was just also thinking since there is 2MB (or is it 4MB? I'm confused here, has to be one or the other) of space for the menu on the Neo2, couldn't a programmer program in more features such as game genie or goldfinger (err well I would prefer game genie though, where do you get codes for goldfinger anyway..never saw such a device for sale besides built into old copiers)  I mean, not that I would even use this feature ;) I think some people use cheat codes though I dunno.

Again, I think that varies by the card. You'd need to check what you have via the Ultra Menu. Yes, it would be nice to add more stuff into the menu flash to save room in the game flash for games. Especially since the menu takes almost no space in the menu flash.

Offline amptor

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 03:50:29 AM »
512Mb of RAM on the Neo2 SD sounds great to me.  Hopefully something good comes up :)  Right now I think the current Neo N64 Myth is great.  However the SNES one at 256Mb tends to have me reflashing it a lot of times.  This is just going to depend on the user.  Some people are just going to only play one or two games whereas I load up all kinds of crazy stuff on SNES but not for N64.  I could just go on playing Goldeneye for a while for example but on SNES I might want to do some Wild Guns then throw on some old intros and mess around with various other ROMs that come to mind.  For me, I get hooked on one or two N64 games probably because the library is not that large and also there is far very few homebrew for it, most of which are not very interesting  ::sm-03::

Also I have been reading on a dev forum that another product that has CF support does not really function properly out of the box and is VERY finnicky about cards.  So I am better impressed by the Neo SNES Myth Cart.  Not only does it fire right up after you plug it in straight out of the box, but every game I throw at it works right away.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:08:47 AM by amptor »

Sektor

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:36:34 AM »
The Neo-SD has 16MB of RAM but I don't think anything makes use of that yet. I believe the MD and SNES Myth carts have 8MB of RAM (ROM is copied to there from flash before running). The N64 Myth runs directly from flash and doesn't copy to RAM. I don't know if it has any. Some Neo-SD have 32MB of NOR flash (slow to write) and some have 64MB. 64MB = 512Mb. MB = Megabytes. Mb = Megabits.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:43:20 AM by Sektor »

Offline RGB_Gamer

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »
What is the status of Neo2-SD support? It's supported on the MD and N64 myth carts. It really makes a lot of sense, and would seriously make it more appealing compared to the SNES PowerPak !

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
What is the status of Neo2-SD support? It's supported on the MD and N64 myth carts. It really makes a lot of sense, and would seriously make it more appealing compared to the SNES PowerPak !

Since the SD support for the N64 is mostly done, we're now looking into the SNES. So it won't be too much longer.  :D