Author Topic: Spinal's Media Player...  (Read 38684 times)

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
Re: Spinal's Media Player...
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 02:33:40 AM »
NCARD and clones are usually very fast. it seems a bit weird that even the example clip is running slow. Is the sound repeating constantly, or is it just occasionally?

Offline moegie

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 03:09:28 AM »
the sound repeats every few moments. its not random or something. every few seconds the video freezes a sec and the sound repeats itself after the freeze.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 03:34:26 AM »
Ok, I have just tested it on my mk5 (another ncard clone) and I now see what you mean. Although, I cant think what is causing it. When coding it, I was using my R6 (quite slow card) and everything was fine. I really don't understand how a faster card is having problems when the slower one does not. Perhaps the bookmarking is the problem, I think that happens every 3 or 4 seconds, perhaps the dldi for ncard clones is not as good as others and writing takes longer. If that is the case, the only way to fix it, would be to remove the bookmark system, with I don't really want to do.

Offline moegie

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 03:37:04 AM »
maybe you can also give a release without the bookmarking  ? I suppose its just a few lines of code. (or not  :-\ )

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 05:38:47 AM »
I have just had a look at the code, I noticed it only saves the bookmark every 20 seconds. I don't think it can be the problem then. I will look into it further.

Offline TiKei

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 09:41:54 PM »
Nickname: Spinal
Projet name : Spinal Media Player
Division : NDS APP
Original enter : YES
Support Motion : No
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10 : NO
Project description: A good movie player for Nintendo DS, coded with palib.

You will need to convert your movies to .smf to play them with Spinal Media Player, converter included.

* Note - press X to switch of the lower screen during playack.

Can not attach, file too large, here is a link to it.
download

Here is a quick guide for those who do not know how to convert a movie file using the supplied converter.

first open the convert.ini in a text editor, for windows users, notpad is a good choice.

the following lines in the ini file should be changed -

Filename = input.avi

simply, this is the full path and filename of the file you wish to convert. a good example might be

Filename = c:\movies\stargate.avi

the next line to change is

aspect = wide

this will set the resolution of the end file, wide is 256x144, ideal for widescreen movies, full will give you 256x192.

next is -

quality = 5

this will set the end quality of the movie. Because the format is jpg based, each frame is compressed separately rather than setting a bitrate. 1 is the best quality and 31 is worst. I recommend between 5 and 10 for reliability, although setting it as good as 2 for widescreen will give quite smooth playback.

volume = 400

this will set the output volume of the movie. If your input movie is quite quiet, setting this higher will be better. The number is a percentage so 100 = original volume, 400 = 4x original volume.

last is the important one -

output = output.smf

this will set the ouput filename of your movie. please remember the .smf or the movie player will not list it.

One last note, currently movie player can only play movies from the root of the card.

:D

Offline TiKei

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 09:48:35 PM »
 :D Converter and also player works fine on an NDS with M3 DS Real.
I searched for DMS-converter, but all failed. This one here converts
up to now all types of videos.

But: bookmark handing doesn't work properly. Works on one film, but
2nd film cannot be selected: video is from film 1, audio from film 2.

Playing without bookmark (answer B) doesn't work. Starts everytime with the bookmark. If the film was played up to the end: no chance to look again.
Only after deleting the bookmarks on a computer.

Improvement: the film is played on the top scren and this one has only 8bit color. Why not converting the jpg's to 8bit color: would save space.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 10:36:59 PM »
The top screen has 15bit colour, same as bottom. Converting the jpg's to 8bit might save space, but it would look terrible.

I am currently restarting this project, as I was not happy with the performance of the player. Hopefully none of the bugs people have mentioned will pop up in the next version.

Offline Bowser N64

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 04:50:29 PM »
Hi. I love the quality of video I'm seeing in the screenshots. Moonshell quality sucks. and it skip alot. Does this player lag alot, like moonshell? I have a Games N Music, and I'm going to buy a Max Media Dock soon. I can't get your converter to work. I'm in the .ini file, and did every thing right, but no results, EXCEPT A 2KB FILE in the root folder, movie_player. I doubt a movie is going to be 2KB. Please help.

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 07:39:48 PM »
The main part of the converter runs is msdos mode, and I dont think it likes long filenames or maybe spaces in the name/path. Try running it from a lower folder, prehaps c:\movies\ or something.

Offline Bowser N64

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 04:04:13 PM »
Ah! thank you for replying! I will try that! Any other things that could go wrong easily with it, that I need to plan for? I tried short file names, and I've tried the path to the movies folder that comes with your download. that IS the default folder that it converts to right?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:06:31 PM by Bowser N64 »

Offline Bowser N64

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »
I like it! It's got good quality, and pretty good sound too. the sample clip you posted earlier worked great. I want to see ALL the Pirates of the Carribean movies man. But yeah, now, the task is mine. I have to get my converter working. I'll let you know of progress!

Offline Bowser N64

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 05:34:32 PM »
Here is what I typed in the ini file "convert.ini":

# Ini file for convert.exe, thisway someone else can make a front-end for it.

# filename is input file for converting, can be any video file supported by ffmpeg
Filename = c:\movies\Mario DIES!.avi

# aspect is the screen ratio, wide = 256x144, full = 256x192
aspect = full

# quality is the image quality, can be between 1 and 31,
# 1 = best, 31 = worst (but smaller file size), however,
# it is best not to go lower than 2 or there might be slight sound jittering.
quality = 2

# audio volume in percent, 100 = 100%
volume = 500

# output filename
output = Mario.smf

Any ideas where the error lies in that? I click on convert.exe int the movie_player folder, and it just brings up a command window for a few seconds, and I get a Mario.smf 2KB file in the movie_player folder. I made a "movies" folder in my C drive root. Help?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:36:20 PM by Bowser N64 »

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »
try renaming "Mario DIES!.avi" to something without spaces in it, perhaps "Mario_DIES!.avi" that should work.

Offline Bowser N64

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »
Thank you! I shall try that!