Author Topic: jEnesisDS 0.5  (Read 46975 times)

Offline Darig0n

Re: jEnesisDS 0.5
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 03:13:08 AM »
Best emulator out just needs sound working and megaman wily wars...

Offline PIC

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 11:27:14 PM »
Great job. I'm really impressed with the quality of your emulator. I don't know how you use the 4 DS layers but as 2 layers are hardware scalable it will be great if you could, at least, scale sprites layer. In some games the life meter, score or time could be seen. Scale background layer instead of sprite layer could be fine for other kind of games (mainly scroll bet'em ups or similar). An option to select what layers scale could be the best option.
Another idea for SW scaling , if is a time consuming task, could be to allow deactivate alpha lerp filter.

Thanks and keep up the good work ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:34:27 PM by PIC »

Offline Lordus

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 11:56:13 PM »
Best emulator out just needs sound working and megaman wily wars...

Thanks. Sound is being worked on, but Mega Man will be problematic. It needs the EEPROM chip it uses for its save feature to be emulated to run. While the EEPROM itself is not hard to emulate (i emulated it in the jEnesis Java version), it would be hard to implement it into my code, because of the way the cpu core accesses the Genesis rom.

Great job. I'm really impressed with the quality of your emulator. I don't know how you use the 4 DS layers but as 2 layers are hardware scalable it will be great if you could, at least, scale sprites layer. In some games the life meter, score or time could be seen. Scale background layer instead of sprite layer could be fine for other kind of games (mainly scroll bet'em ups or similar). An option to select what layers scale could be the best option.
Another idea for SW scaling , if is a time consuming task, could be to allow deactivate alpha lerp filter.

Thanks again  :)

I dont know if you tried it, but in the last version (0.4a) a software renderer is included, that uses alpha lerp and hardware scaling to fit the screen exactly, but of course its quite a bit slower and impossible to ever reach full speed. Thats why i am concentrating on the hardware renderer now.

Software scaling in the hardware renderer would be quite pointless, because it would slow down everything to be even slower than the software renderer i guess.
Hardware scaling is as you said just available for 2 layers, and just if they are not in Text BG Mode. I am using all 4 layers in Text Mode though and i need all for of them just for the 2 Genesis layers, because the Genesis has per tile priority, which the DS doesnt have. Also, the Genesis can address 2048 tiles, while the DS can just address 1024 per layer.
The way i am doing it, i can almost directly map writes to Genesis tile memory to the DS tile memory without much calculations. That is what makes it so fast. Believe me, i thought of many ways to scale in hardware, but ther is none, except i would change the whole way rendering is handled and make it probably quite a bit slower.

Now scaling just some of the layers would be a bit problematic, too.
1. If just the sprites would be scaled, they would be definately at wrong positions. Also, often sprites are composed of more than 1 sprite and there is no way to find out when, so there could be a lot of glitches.
2. If i'd use 2 layers in a mode that allows scaling, then also the tile addressing would have to be changed for those layers, as it works differently  than in Text BG Mode, which would again need extra checks and calculations that make it slower. And 1 Genesis layer is represented as 2 DS layers, so scaling just one of them would look quite strange, except for some games, that dont use different priorities for the tiles at all.

Offline Darig0n

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 11:58:27 PM »
Thanks. Sound is being worked on, but Mega Man will be problematic. It needs the EEPROM chip it uses for its save feature to be emulated to run. While the EEPROM itself is not hard to emulate (i emulated it in the jEnesis Java version), it would be hard to implement it into my code, because of the way the cpu core accesses the Genesis rom.

^Thats good to know cant wait for your next releases =)

Offline dswii

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 03:59:30 AM »
can somebody please help me i can't get it to work. I downloaded the jEnesis 0.5 emulator. i created a folder next to it called "GEN" to put the roms in. when i start up the emulator, those configuration settings come up, i press "select" for continue, and screen shows up with no games to choose from. i've read some reviews that say something about patching but i don't know what that meas or how to do it. how can i get the games to work nd what m i doing wrong? thanks for any help.

Offline tomqman

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 04:02:42 AM »
what card are you using

Offline dswii

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 04:04:44 AM »
i'm using the games n music card.

Offline tomqman

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 04:08:34 AM »
heres the dldi patch for your cart here and for the patcher download here. extrack the patcher into any folder on your pc the put the pact into that folder. then double click dlditool32 to run it next click the 3 dots next to the big white box and then select jenesisds.nds then press patch. when its done put that onto your card and it should work
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 04:23:16 AM by tomqman »

Offline dswii

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 04:14:01 AM »
thanks a million.

Offline tomqman

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 04:20:54 AM »
did you get it working
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 04:22:57 AM by tomqman »

Offline dswii

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 04:26:04 AM »
Hey thanks so much this is great. i don't know if this is the right place to ask, but do you think there will be a NDS emulator for this card to allow me to play nds roms on it?

Offline tomqman

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 04:30:55 AM »
hi there is no ways to play ds roms on the games and music only homebrew. remeber the dldi program and keep it as you will need it to play homebrew.

Lordus  sorry about the disscusion on your post lol and im glad to here that your working on sound this will truley make the jenesis the top genesis emu (your emu is already the best but will become top  ;D)

Offline Zense

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 05:29:14 AM »
Hi! I'm really impressed by this emu and your work on it  ~sm-43.gif~ This is the most exciting emu out (not adding the N64 emu a friend of mine is making since it surely won't work ;P). I hope your work continues like this and that you win the compo(since I don't think DSOrganize should get to win this compo). I've always been told that Genesis emu with sound would be impossible on the DS, but I really hope that you can prove otherwise since I love the Genesis.

Offline divie

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 04:16:11 AM »
Hi,

sry for my bad english, im from germany!
i was looking for a long time for an sega emu for nds, and this one works! im so happy! my favo game for sega is wonderboy 5, i have it already for nintendo wii, and now i can play it on ds!!!!! but its really pity, play without sound.
i wish you get it, can you say, how much time you need?
oh, one question: on this emu i can play .bin files ? or .sms ?

thank you so much for this emu!  ::sm-18.gif::
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 03:55:17 AM by divie »

Offline Bibin

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 02:00:00 AM »
Wily wars works great, except some slowdown and background VRAM errors. Minor though, it's quite playable.