Author Topic: contest: NDS APP - Flipbook - By: Sintax  (Read 11249 times)

Offline Sintax

contest: NDS APP - Flipbook - By: Sintax
« on: August 10, 2005, 06:01:42 AM »
Flipbook by Sintax
sintax@digitalatrocity.com

---

Flipbook is a full featured MSPaint-like drawing program with flipbook capabilities. You can draw upto thirty frames of animation using eight drawing tools and the DS's full spectrum of colors.

---

The program is pretty simple and I tried to make everything very intuitive, but here are some things you should know. First off, you'll need to adjust the pressure setting (top right corner of the screen) which will filter out low pressure touches which are usually innacurate. If you find the pen jumping when you try to draw, turn it down-- if you have to press hard or your touches don't register at all, turn it up. Also, only use the fill tool inside of objects (don't fill the whole screen with it).

Here are the controls. The duplicates are because I made it friendly for both left and right handed people:

L or R - Swap the screens
UP and DOWN or X and B - Select drawing tools
LEFT and RIGHT or Y and A - Select next or last frame
Select - undo
Start - Copy last frame

You can also turn on a ghost copy of the last frame (for tracing when animating) by pressing the button that looks like two pieces of paper on top of each other.

---

This program doesn't work on an emulator because something is screwy with the console I used for some text. Even if I take it out, the pressure setting makes it unusable, and why would you use it on the computer anyway, go play MSPaint  ;)

Offline davr

• RorexRobots.com
Re: contest: NDS APP - Flipbook - By: Sintax
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 01:37:08 AM »
Here, I made a video with flipbook: :)

http://davr.drunkencoders.com/flipbook.avi (300 KB)
EDIT: encoded with an older codec: http://davr.drunkencoders.com/flipbook2.avi
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 01:44:31 AM by davr »

Offline rize

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 08:29:16 AM »
this doesn't seem to work on my ds  most of the buttons don't work and nothing draws

did you use the pressure settings?  I've heard that there are two types of ds that report the pressure somewhat differently, perhaps you coded around the one that I do not have

I don't know.  the arrow buttons on the right work (that thing that starts at 60) but that's it.  can't draw anything or change colors or anything

unless I'm using it wrong

Offline The Wise

• </>
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 06:26:04 AM »
Well I had to set the pressure value to 100 (maximum) to get every buttons and drawing working (even though it is still hard to draw smoothly).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 06:28:39 AM by The Wise »

Offline Sintax

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 06:11:18 AM »
Sorry about the pressure thing, it works well on mine, but each DS is different I suppose, and it was the best way I could figure to handle it. I'll release a version without the pressure or just checking for jumps if there's any interest. Although it looks like I might just need to up the limit from 100.

Offline headspin

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 11:32:01 AM »
This is a really cool idea, but can I request some features..

• More frames available. Perhaps there needs to be some sort of compression to allow more frames?
  • Onion Skin feature. For animating, you can see previous 4 frames or so that alpha blend out for reference when drawing the new frame.

Offline Sintax

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 06:21:16 AM »
More frames available. Perhaps there needs to be some sort of compression to allow more frames?

I had plans of making a bunch of different types of projects to start when you booted it up, like ones with smaller resolution or less colors to fit more frames, but I never got that far into the project.

Onion Skin feature. For animating, you can see previous 4 frames or so that alpha blend out for reference when drawing the new frame.

It's there already! Press the upper left button in the group of four buttons to the side, and you'll get a slightly faded version of the last frame to draw over.

Offline headspin

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 08:00:16 PM »
More frames available. Perhaps there needs to be some sort of compression to allow more frames?

I had plans of making a bunch of different types of projects to start when you booted it up, like ones with smaller resolution or less colors to fit more frames, but I never got that far into the project.

So does the end of the competition mark the end of Flipbook, or do you plan of updating?

BTW I noticied the previous frame, but I was talking about oninon skinning, so you can see multiple previous frames.

Great work BTW