Author Topic: which hardware is needed for sd support?  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Brainstorm

which hardware is needed for sd support?
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:38:26 AM »
Hi everyone,
I bought a N64 myth when it was released and I want to upgrade it in order to run games from sd.
Do I need to buy a Nero Dual Porgrammer in order to flash the firmware or is there another way?
Is this product compatible with the n64 myth:
http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=41&cat=5&page=1 ?
I just want to run games off sd and nothing more.
Thank you. :)

Sektor

Re: which hardware is needed for sd support?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:19:16 AM »
That product is compatible with the N64 Myth but it only has 128Mbit of RAM. Games need to be copied from SD to RAM before they can be run, so it's better to get the  NEO2 Pro 1024M Flash Cart + SL4 since it has 256Mbit of RAM. The few 512Mbit games like Conker's Bad Fur Day are too big for the Myth RAM, so they need to be burnt to the flash using a PC.

You need the Nero Dual Programmer to install the latest firmware updates. I'm sure some people who already own one would be willing to update it just for the cost of postage but after a few updates that would add up to the price of the programmer.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:28:51 AM »
Both the Neo2-SD and the Neo2-Pro are supported. The Neo2-SD will only run games up to 16 MBytes (128 Mbits) from the SD card; the Neo2-Pro will run games up to 32 MBytes (256 Mbits) from SD. Larger games can be written to flash and run from there. So it all depends on what you like to play more often versus how much you are willing to pay.

The firmware update is needed for proper save ram support, not for running from the SD card. Of course, proper save ram support is vital to most folks regardless of whether you use the SD or not, so you probably want the Nero programmer so you can update the firmware as bugs are fixed and features added.

Offline tsuris

• NEO newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
The one they refer to is the one here
http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=119&cat=17&page=1
You don't absolutely HAVE to have the NDP, if you don't care about saves....but I would...and I believe you DO care about your saves.  You shouldn't really need upgrades past the point of v3.0, everything I have tried since upgrading has worked (and no I can not say I have even remotely tried everything).  The mail for upgrade suggestion works, unless a coder or tester here would suggest not, there may be bugs they found which still need tweaking that I don't know about.
To detail the rest, of the 280 roms I am "aware" of (not a confession in any way that I "have" them, also not counting duplicates for different versions or pal games), 237 are "usable" on the cheaper card from sd or in other words, are 16MB or smaller, 38 are usable from the sd only on the $20 more expensive version (see link above) and either way 5 are just too damn big for their own good.

Please don't read below this line unless you are interested to know which ones are which (only the latter are listed)
007 - The World is Not Enough, Aidyn Chronicles - The First Mage, Banjo-Tooie, Command & Conquer, Disney's Donald Duck - Goin' Quackers, Donkey Kong 64, Duke Nukem - ZER0 H0UR, ECW Hardcore Revolution, Gex 3 - Deep Cover Gecko, Hydro Thunder, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Jet Force Gemini, Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards, Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask, Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time, Mario Golf, Mario Party 2, Mario Party 3, Mario Party, Mega Man 64, Mickey's Speedway USA, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nuclear Strike 64, Perfect Dark, Pokemon Puzzle League, Pokemon Stadium, Rayman 2 - The Great Escape, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - Round 2, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Road Rash 64, RR64 - Ridge Racer 64, Shadow Man, Spider-Man, Star Wars Episode I - Battle for Naboo, Star Wars Episode I - Racer, StarCraft 64, Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil, Turok 3 - Shadow of Oblivion
those in bold are the ones I tend toward the most, except perfect dark, I didn't take to it, but others seem to....
all of those would ONLY work from sd with the more expensive model...they can all be loaded via flash burning but that takes a computer, and time, the other 5 (which are burned to rom only) are here:
Ogre Battle 64 - Person of Lordly Caliber - 40M
Paper Mario                                              - 40M
Conker's Bad Fur Day                               - 64M
Pokemon Stadium 2                                 - 64M
Resident Evil 2                                          - 64M
Hope this info was useful
ps:
I actually 100% own a TLoZ:OoT cart, and the ability to dump my save to my pc, Project 64 the game then "cheat->max skulltula" then return it to a "cart" and play it on an actual console would have been worth half the money for the cart(s) alone :).

Offline Brainstorm

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 02:08:27 AM »
wow, thank you for all your support! ::sm-29.gif::
I just ordered a nero dual programmer and a neo 2 pro.
Looking forward to it. :-*

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 05:03:02 AM »
Running N64 games off SD(HC) is definitely the preferred method. It would be nice if they offered a N64 Myth/Neo2-Pro bundle package instead of selling them separately. Oh well.

I need to get an "official" compile together of the current code on the repo. I did that the other day for the MD Myth... I'll try to get the N64 Myth menu up later today.

Offline Aleomark

• Just a gamer!
    • El otro lado
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 05:25:50 AM »
that would be nice, there's been a long waiting time, I hope it be an amazing release and nobody get important bugs, I want to see if it brings new functions...