Author Topic: SMS2 - dumping DS roms only possible for some games  (Read 8423 times)

Offline thieves like us

• NEO newbie
SMS2 - dumping DS roms only possible for some games
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:23:20 AM »
I recently purchased 3pcs of the SMS2 hardware and attempted to use it with the latest version of the SMS Backup Master software (v18R), however I am finding that it will only allow me to dump a very small percentage of the games that I currently own.

most of the games display the message "NDS Card: Unknow-Card" or "Inserted Card: Unknown Card" but if I click on "Dump NDS Card" the file save dialog is bringing up the correct rom name (so I know it is correctly reading the cartridge header information).

I have been able to successful dump a few titles, so I know that it is not the hardware or my computer which is the problem.

any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong or has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?

I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit version with latest security patches
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:32:16 AM by thieves like us »

Offline Shrimp

• NEO newbie
Re: SMS2 - dumping DS roms only possible for some games
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »
I also received my SMS2 last week.  ::sm-29.gif::
But I too can only dump very few of my games. I actually bought this to dump my Pokemon Black/White games.  :'(
I thought I have maybe a faulty device, because the LED only flashes for a brief time. But thieves like us gave a description that matches my problem exactly, so I guess it's like that for every SMS2 device.
I use "SMS Backup Matser V1.18R" under Windows XP 32 Bit. And most of the time, it says "Unknow Card". ~sm-43.gif~
Can this problem be fixed? I would like to keep the device and not send it back for a refund. 

Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:42:21 AM by Shrimp »

Offline Knuddlbaer

• NEO newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
Make shure, that SMS2 is the only device on the usb line and try again pls. On 4 computers i got sms2 only work on my netbook. The other computers using usb keyboard and mouse (and windows 7).

On my device, the LED flashs only if i save or restore the .sav file from rom. There is no flashing on rom dump.

Offline Shrimp

• NEO newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:53:53 AM »
I tried what you suggested and even tried some more different PCs, but the same issue remains.
Customer service seems to be non-existant. Makes me wonder if I should pass on future Neoflash products...  ::sm-02::

Dr.neo, please reply!!!

Offline bond697

• NEO newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »
yeah, it's a shame, the sms2 can't handle black and white or the U version of heart gold and soul silver.  i was planning on picking up an sms4 also, but if this is the kind of support it'll be getting...

e: also, i certainly hope the sms4 will be a usb 2.0 device.  i can't think of any other reason for a small-ish 128mb rom(or a 512k save) to dump so incredibly slowly. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:30:31 AM by bond697 »

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
most of the games display the message "NDS Card: Unknow-Card" or "Inserted Card: Unknown Card" but if I click on "Dump NDS Card" the file save dialog is bringing up the correct rom name (so I know it is correctly reading the cartridge header information).

you just need clean your NDS cart golden finger, it's the connection issue ONLY because your nds cart golden finger is too dirty to make connection not good.
try to use alcohol to clean it.
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline bond697

• NEO newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:58:50 AM »
you just need clean your NDS cart golden finger, it's the connection issue ONLY because your nds cart golden finger is too dirty to make connection not good.
try to use alcohol to clean it.

my heart gold cart is absolutely pristine.  it's not a connection issue for that.  is this ever going to be addressed?  will black and white ever work with the sms2?  i8 know they currently don't either and they use a similar cart to hart gold/soul silver.

Offline thieves like us

• NEO newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
dr. neo,
I know for a fact that the issue isn't the contacts on the ds cartridges because they work perfectly fine if inserted into the ds system itself. any other suggestions?