Author Topic: Testers(and not only!) dump thread  (Read 10154 times)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Testers(and not only!) dump thread
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:32:06 PM »
Okay here we can talk about incompatibility issues reported in the "Testers report thread".

I will make the start.
So far it seems to be an issue with 256Mbit roms.The programmer crashes on VERIFY proccess.

Ihave tested the following 256Mbit roms :
 Jet force gemini & Road rush64 .
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:39:55 PM by Conle »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: Testers(and not only!) dump thread
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:47:59 PM »
Hmm it seems that its not only 256 roms. Resident evil 2 (512Mbit) also crashes on verify. Its clearly issues with the programmer.

By the way , some suggestions for ShivenYu:

(Important)

[1]Make the verify optional
[2]Make the text status optional , because MFC text rendering is very slow when you update it on every byte written.. or update the label every 1.000 - 2.000ms or every 8/16Kbytes written.

This will give a nice boost to the burning speed.

(Not so important)
[3]Before installing the app , remove all NEO .inf files from INF directory because a normal user will not be able to tell which version is the correct.
At the moment there are 3 files in the list if you have installed and older version of the programmer.

[4]When you set N64 mode ,the first time it will ask you to format the cart.
Always tick by default  "N64" in "Format menu" because the current is MD MYTH and the first time user will get confused because of the error message for the incorrect bios file.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:54:48 PM by Conle »

Offline Infrid

• rcp64::nintendo64 machine
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:28:37 AM »
we should use the GoodN64 name style for posting test results...

Conle, did you used PAL or NTSC roms?

Jet force gemini , NONE ,256Mbit,6105(Exact cause : the programmer crashes on VERIFY)

we found 610x cic only in NTSC roms, PAL games use 710x cic type.

as far as I know you can use only PAL roms with PAL console!
RCP64 :: Nintendo 64 Machine

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:36:38 AM »
Be sure to do a full format instead of a fast format first. The full format finds and marks bad blocks in the flash. Verify would fail for me on the MD stuff until I did a full format. It's even more important on N64 roms given how large they are.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:42:38 AM »

Mario E Multi3(and some others) is PAL and has 610x ICIC too so it might not be the case.

Well at the moment i cannot test more games.For some reason the USB port of the cart went at the bottom of the cart while i've been testing it.
 ~sm-34.gif~ ~sm-34.gif~

I have pmed Dr.Neo to ask him if i should try to put some solder back & see if it works.
The connector was a bit soft (you could feel that it was going a bit down) from the beginning but this was unexpected. :'( :'( >:(

Be sure to do a full format instead of a fast format first. The full format finds and marks bad blocks in the flash. Verify would fail for me on the MD stuff until I did a full format. It's even more important on N64 roms given how large they are.

Could be.I didn't do full format.
Hope someone can test the non working games.

Edit:Oops instead deleting my double post i quoted the first & then deleted it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:46:19 AM by Conle »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 11:28:10 PM »
An update on my case.

Sometimes , we , humans(?) , don't think very clear :-X.

I also have md myth with slimloader4 AND another slimloader3 for a GBA flashcart.
 ::sm-05::

I don't know what i was thinking  ::sm-07.gif::.

By the way , here's how it looks ->
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0o8deh
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:32:03 PM by Conle »

Offline sven

• Neo MOD
    • the one starting with: "www." you'll find the rest.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:45:29 AM »
yeah, te usb port defenitly shouldn't be there. When I get mine I'll probably put some extra tape over it  ~sm-40.gif~ Any one else has report of the usb port not being that solid.

Btwm I'm amazed at how small the myth card actually is, that's truly wonderfull. Hope to recieve my cart monday
O hai

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 12:46:19 AM »
I have just tried waverace 64 , this time the EU Multi2 and it works great.
Seems like that the region of the game is very important until we patch it via software.
 8)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:53:06 AM »
yeah, te usb port defenitly shouldn't be there. When I get mine I'll probably put some extra tape over it  ~sm-40.gif~ Any one else has report of the usb port not being that solid.

Btwm I'm amazed at how small the myth card actually is, that's truly wonderfull. Hope to recieve my cart monday

Yes the hardware is very impressive.
Now regarding the USB port , its the same as MD MYTH.

But MD MYTH never failed for me(and we're talking for over 400burns!!!!) and after looking at my n64 fc usb port it seems that it had just a little solder iron(Wasn't really lucky).I think it was just a small hardware fail.

The good thing is that Neoteam is using Slimloader3/4 for all their products so i could just buy a SL4 and do the job!
But really , when something unexpected happens , you really can't think so clear.
 ~sm-34.gif~

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:05:53 AM »
The good thing is that Neoteam is using Slimloader3/4 for all their products so i could just buy a SL4 and do the job!

The Neo2-SD comes with a SL4. That's handy for when you have multiple flash cards. I can burn one while the Neo Myth is in use elsewhere.
 :D

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 01:15:26 AM »
The Neo2-SD comes with a SL4. That's handy for when you have multiple flash cards. I can burn one while the Neo Myth is in use elsewhere.
 :D

Let me guess : You have so many that you did put some on your christmas tree  ::sm-05::  O0O  ::sm-29.gif::

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »
Conker's bad fur day [E]! works great on pal n64. The U release i tried yesterday gives black screen. That's really cool!

Now im going to test Resident evil 2 [E] M2 , then Jet force gemini[E] & Road Rush[E].

Edit : Good news , RE2 E M2 works! ::sm-29.gif:: And looks even better than psx version with the expansion ram :-*

JFG [E] works too!! Woohoo  ~sm-42.gif~
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:06:56 AM by Conle »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 02:15:45 AM »
Let me guess : You have so many that you did put some on your christmas tree  ::sm-05::  O0O  ::sm-29.gif::

I bought 10 and resold 9 of them... a few just in time for xmas.
 ::sm-24.gif::

So I know there's AT LEAST 9 other people out there with the MD Myth and a Neo2-SD. I figure that number will go up with the N64 Myth now out, especially once the menu is working.
 8)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 02:28:28 AM »
I bought 10 and resold 9 of them... a few just in time for xmas.
 ::sm-24.gif::

So I know there's AT LEAST 9 other people out there with the MD Myth and a Neo2-SD. I figure that number will go up with the N64 Myth now out, especially once the menu is working.
 8)

That's good because it proves that there are people out there that are really interested to get Md myth(its one of my favorite retro-thingies!!  :-*)!.

N64 sure interests more people compared to the MD , so yeah , great things are coming!!

By the way , all [  U  ] releases that i reported yesterday work great with their [E] alternatives!!
The region is very important factor until some software patching is applied.

Great work Neoteam  :'( ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:45:01 AM by Conle »

Offline Link83

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 03:51:50 AM »
I am really impressed with the N64 Myth Cart so far, and have not had any games fail to verify or boot, I am really very pleased with it ;D

However, I have noticed a few small problems - and since i'm a tester I feel its important that I mention them:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EEPROM 16Kb saves are not working for me. I tested Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64 and Conkers Bad Fur Day and none would save. Donkey Kong 64 appeared to save for one moment but the save dissappeared as soon as the console was turned off. Perfect Dark says the 'save file is corrupted' and wont save at all. The battery in the Neo2 cart is fine, as all other saves types (EEPROM 4Kb, SRAM 256Kb, Flash 1Mb) are all working great. (EDIT - 16Kbit EEPROM saves fixed by Dr.neo with 1.1 core update)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backing up saves using the 'Backup Save' option in the Neo2 Ultra Menu does not seem to work correctly. All the save files seem to dump as the correct size/file type, but none of the save files actually work on emulators, even when using the exact same rom and giving the save file the exact same name as expected by the emulator.

When compared with a hex editor all the SRAM and Flash saves files I have backed up appear to have almost the exact same data, even though the saves are from entirely different games. When compared with a hex editor to their corresponding game emulator save files they seem to be completely different, leading me to believe that incorrect data is being dumped from the SRAM by the Neo2 Ultra Menu.

I'm not sure if the Neo2 Ultra Menu is 'patching' the roms for each different save type, or if the Neo Myth cartridge is 'emulating' each save type so it appears correct to the game?

The Neo2 SRAM doesn't appear to be completely wiped clean after a new rom is burnt to the flash. I noticed that after playing Zelda OoT, then Jet Force Gemini, and then back to Zelda OoT I could still find one of my three save slots from Zelda completely intact. I think it would be wise to clear the SRAM completely for each new game being played to prevent problems with corrupted data where one games save partially overwrites another etc.

I also have a few small suggestions/tweak for improving the Neo2 Ultra Menu's 'N64' tab:-

- Remove the drop down save options for 'SRAM 512Kb' and 'SRAM 1Mb' since no N64 games use those save sizes
- Change the 'Clr ROM' button to say 'Clear ROM' (less ambiguous)
- Change the name of the 'DownLoad Save' button to say 'Restore Save'

On the 'Format' tab the 'Menu Type Select' Currently says:-
GBA/NDS
MD Myth
SNES
N64
SFC/NES

But I think it would be better if it said:-
GBA/NDS
MD Myth
FC/NES Myth
SFC/SNES Myth