Author Topic: Ideas on How to get the Best TV Output from N64  (Read 3623 times)

Offline wraggster

• DCEmu Homebrew Network
Ideas on How to get the Best TV Output from N64
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:46:52 AM »
Hi all are there any leads or a way (non soldering) that i can get the very best resolution out of my N64. on my 37inch TV , anyone got any ideas ?

Webmaster of DCEmu

The Worlds Only Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.

Offline ronaldo_76

Re: Ideas on How to get the Best TV Output from N64
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »
I've heard  the xrgb-3 is a good retro scaler. i don't have one, would like to buy one, but here in germany are no shops to order one.

here take a look:
http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Offline radorn

Re: Ideas on How to get the Best TV Output from N64
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:51:39 AM »
The highest quality signal an unmodified N64 can output is S-Video, so I suggest you start by getting one.
Unfortunatelly, in the case of PAL N64, there are no readily available PROPER s-video cables.

NTSC N64's video and s-video outputs come out of the console at the right levels, so a cable with just wires inside does the job, but in the case of N64, the signals coming out of the multiout need some adjustement.

The composite cable has a resistor inside (which makes PAL and NTSC N64 video cables slighty uncompatible).

The s-video needs a similar adjustement, but, incomprehensibly, nor Nintendo or any third party ever made proper s-video cables for PAL N64, as far as I know.
My report posts: N64
My new blog about N64 and the MYTH cart (just starting)