Author Topic: the demo rom for burn to the N64 menu flash and run  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
the demo rom for burn to the N64 menu flash and run
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:59:44 PM »
the demo rom for burn to the N64 menu flash and run.

i know someone want it to test his great menu :D
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: the demo rom for burn to the N64 menu flash and run
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:59:40 AM »
I have that rom - what I wanted to know is where it was in the Neo2 Ultra Menu files since the rom itself doesn't appear - it's like it's compressed and stored inside the program itself. Then I also wanted to know how you wrote a file into the menu in such a way as to make it boot. Although I've figured out how to make it write that emulator, it's not obvious that it's actually running from the menu flash, nor does it seem possible to replace it with something else.

With both the MD Myth and SNES Myth, you can just click MENU Write in the memory tab and write a file to the menu flash, then boot it. That's not the case with the N64 Myth.

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
you can open the ultra menu v3.04, in the "memory" section, you can see the "N64 U2" section, if you press the "AUTO BURN" button, APP will write these file to:

write "C:\\NEO2 Ultra Menu\\N64\\Neo2_256K.BIN" to the neo2 myth flash cart 2M RAM and N64 Myth 2M sram (the intel 1602 chip)
read back for verify: "C:\\NEO2 Ultra Menu\\N64\\Neo2_256K_rb.BIN"

write C:\\NEO2 Ultra Menu\\N64\\N64_PC-Engine 64 Emulator (POM '99) (PD).v64" to the N64 menu flash (the intel 1602 chip) and neo2 Myth cart menu flash
read back for verify: C:\\NEO2 Ultra Menu\\N64\\N64_PC-Engine 64 Emulator (POM '99) (PD)_rb.v64"

if you just click "WRITE ROM", it'll write "C:\\NEO2 Ultra Menu\\N64\\Neo2_256K.BIN" to the N64 Myth 2M sram (the intel 1602 chip) only, and verify.

remember click "BOOT N64 MENU" and write one demo rom to the neo2 myth flash cart.
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »
Thanks! I hadn't realized before a couple days ago that the N64 Myth had its own flash for a menu not associated with the GBA card at all. I noticed that U2 section, but didn't realize that was for the onboard menu (among other thing). I've been writing the N64 menu with mm's neocmd, but it's good to know how to write it with the Neo2 Ultra Menu as well.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 06:32:14 PM »
Ouch!  :P
So without usb port its impossible to burn the new N64 menu  ::sm-03::

Oh well,i will get a new n64 myth or i will see if i can fix that broken usb port  ::sm-16.gif::

Offline sanni

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »
If you're not that good at soldering, you could just temporarily tape the different data and volt lines of an usb cable to where the usb port was located. That should be easier than soldering the broken connector back.
If Chillywilly implements the same "load-new-menu-version-from-sd-card" feature then you would need to write the menu only once to the N64 Myth.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 01:20:45 AM »
Yes, that will be a feature. For some folks, it's easier to write a file to SD than to burn the flash across USB.

I've been putting time in on the N64 Myth, but have two things I've been asking Dr.neo about: proper bus operations on the flash ASIC, and the issue with v1.1 firmware. You might have noticed on the v1.1 firmware IO list that the IO and N64 menu overlap where they are mapped in the N64. That means while the N64 menu is active, you can't access the Myth hardware... makes it hard to do a menu.  ~sm-79.gif~.gif

The v1.2 IO list shows that firmware moved the Myth IO to cart 1 address space 1 (the flash and whatnot are all at cart 1 address space 2). The problem is the only firmware update released so far is for v1.1. So I've been waiting for an update or a method to work around the overlap issue.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 01:52:02 AM »
If you're not that good at soldering, you could just temporarily tape the different data and volt lines of an usb cable to where the usb port was located. That should be easier than soldering the broken connector back.
If Chillywilly implements the same "load-new-menu-version-from-sd-card" feature then you would need to write the menu only once to the N64 Myth.

Yes , that's one possible solution , and no im not good with soldering , because i've only soldered a few ps1 & saturn modchips.Haven't done anything complex  ::sm-01::
I might spent more time to brush my soldering skills when i get the chance, but maybe on some useless pcb and with proper equipment  ~sm-51.gif~.gif  ~sm-75.gif~.gif

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 02:13:57 AM »
If you aren't much at soldering, then don't!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z9H7ZW/ref=cm_rdp_product

Just be very careful as it can be rather runny, and you don't want it all over the circuit board.  :'(

Another similar product: http://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-CW2400-Tubes-Conductive-Epoxy/dp/B0000WSZC8/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:16:59 AM by ChillyWilly »

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 02:28:58 AM »

If you aren't much at soldering, then don't!

Yeah , i don't plan to play with n64 myth.I haven't touched the usb port since the day i got the flashcart(which is when all started  --damn my luck :'() :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z9H7ZW/ref=cm_rdp_product

Just be very careful as it can be rather runny, and you don't want it all over the circuit board.  :'(

Another similar product: http://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-CW2400-Tubes-Conductive-Epoxy/dp/B0000WSZC8/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b

That looks better than doing hacks with tape :D