Author Topic: USB Cable Transfer from N64 Program?  (Read 3724 times)

Offline HyperJunkie

USB Cable Transfer from N64 Program?
« on: July 24, 2010, 11:55:19 PM »
Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to send/receive data over the USB cable from a N64 program?

This would be very useful for homebrew, since you would be able to transfer smaller portions of code (say 50KB) to a custom loader program N64 over USB directly into the N64s main memory and execute it. This is how homebrew is done on Dreamcast/PS2/PSP using either ethernet or USB.

This would greatly speed up homebrew development, since you wouldn't have to flash the cart every time you wanted to test some minor change to your program. Also you would not have to make a N64 ROM every time you wanted to test, the USB loader program on the N64 could support any format, like ELF. Once you have your final program, you could then convert it to a ROM.

If any documentation on how to access the USB cable is available, I would be very interested in developing the N64 USB loader myself.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
Re: USB Cable Transfer from N64 Program?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:39:24 AM »
You can't use the USB on any of the other Myths, so I don't believe you can on the N64 Myth either. Once we get SD card support going, you'll be able to run homebrew off the SD card. That's what I'm concentrating on right now.

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:37:49 PM »
Could USB support by added with a core update?

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »

Maybe. It depends on how much space is left on the fpga.  ~sm-69.gif~.gif
I suggested this long time ago so that we could make a udp/tcp <-> usb protocol and get online features,but i don't see this happening any time soon.Especially with the current timings.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 12:44:39 AM »

No. The USB is not part of the FPGA, it's a separate chip altogether dedicated to handling the USB in the manner it currently does (allowing a PC to read/write the flash).

I don't know if the USB chip can be programmed, but that's what would need to be changed... perhaps along with the FPGA.