Author Topic: Frequently Asked Questions & Video Tutorials  (Read 40275 times)

Offline sanni

Re: Frequently Asked Questions & Video Tutorials
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 09:08:34 AM »
Yes that is defently the right way to flash it.
And my guess is it still doesn't work?

If it still freezes then try one last time the normal N64 Myth menu, not the PAL one. If that also fails then I think Conle is right and you have to get the N64 Myth replaced :(

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »
Did you format the cart? After selecting the bios files, format the cart... use quick format unless you want it to spend a few hours trying to detect bad sectors in the flash. Sometimes just switching the bios file and burning is not enough - it takes a format to get things going.

Offline dvd2vcd

• retro gaming enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
@sanni,
yes it still froze  :(

@chillywilly,
i did a standard format (complete) then i flashed bios with rom together, i will try flashing the bios files, then format, then add a big rom to fill the gba card, then flash again to see how that does, if that doesnt work then im all outta ideas :(
please make a atari jaguar flash cart!!!!!!!

Offline dvd2vcd

• retro gaming enthusiast
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
ok...its still not working for me :( but its not all bad news...im still able to play games using type b and i know how to backup and restore saved games so im satisfied :)
please make a atari jaguar flash cart!!!!!!!

Offline wockes

• NEO newbie
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2012, 11:22:52 PM »
So I got myself an "NEO N64 Myth + NEO2 Pro 1024M SD" and spent 4 hours just to get the menu to boot from my n64. It said "failed to burn N64 menu" or USB desync bla bla". And when I finally got it to work I found out that the only games I get to even boot from my SD card is Goldeneye, Mario 64(jap and EU) and Doom 64 of the games I have. It can't even boot Super Smash Brothers. Some times when I try booting a game it hangs on 100%, the lamp on the flash cart blinks 1 time and in the rare event something actually happens the screen goes black. I also tried burning the roms directly into flash but it always fails on validate or desyncs. I tried 3 different computers too.

The game I'm using to boot with is Goldeneye Europe and I'm using a n64 black edition Europe. Am I doing it wrong?

Offline slothette64

• N64-head
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2012, 04:15:23 AM »
make sure your files are byteswapped correctly
and they are .V64 format
(use RTool to do this)
also make sure they are unpatched (may or may not matter)
and the same region as your N64 in this case (E) like me

to me it sounds like
if a few files work and few others dont
its your files and not the problem of flashcart

Offline sanni

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2012, 12:37:05 AM »
Have you tried this:

Sounds like defective GBA cart to me,although you might want to give a try to HW tests that we have added in the latest versions of the n64 myth menu.

How to use it :
-Make sure to reflash everything (U2,MF)
-Power on your console while holding L+R+Z to get into HW test mode
-Press A -> A to do the zipram test and see if it detected a memory aliasing issue
-Power off/on the console
-Go again into HW test mode and test the ONBOARD(only) SRAM.
This test works in 2 passes : First you write the seed and power off/on your console and then you do the reading test.

One note : If you're running an 64BIT OS then parts of the U2 menu binary might not be written properly due to bugs in the driver.
I recommend to burn the menu just ONE time under 32BIT OS and when menu upgrades are available , just place them on the SD...

Edit : You could also play with the speed settings , although i don't think that it could be an issue.
Look in : /menu/n64 for a file named either .quick or .fast and replace it with .slow and see if it helps.

n64_myth_menu_2_5_b_7.zip: http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7341.0;attach=2861

Offline ChillyWilly

• Global Moderator
  • Just a coding machine.
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »
make sure your files are byteswapped correctly
and they are .V64 format

You only need .v64 files for the PC client if burning to flash. When loading from SD, all known formats are supported.

(use RTool to do this)
also make sure they are unpatched (may or may not matter)
and the same region as your N64 in this case (E) like me

Now this advice is sound - avoid patched or hacked roms, and you either need to match the region of your n64, or use something known to make good patches for the region code, like Paladin.