Author Topic: smea's NDS games review  (Read 2316 times)

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
smea's NDS games review
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »
smea's NDS GAME review

I tried to be as honest and constructive as I could. If you don't agree with what I say or want to explain or whatever, don't hesitate, I'd be glad to talk about it.  ~sm-36.gif~ I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Super Smash Bros Crash! DS

Although the project has been going for quite some time, the game is still only barely playable. The menu is nice, there is a lot of content (although the quality of said content often leaves to be desired), but that's pretty much all it has going for it. The physics are all wrong (getting punched will cause your character to uncontrolably slide from one end of the stage to the other in certain cases) and overall not only is it not fun to "play", but it also just does not feel like super smash bros. It seems the people behind this were too busy trying to fill it with as much content as they could with no (or little) regard for its quality; most of the character art was ripped from other games (the animations are therefore often glitchy) and quite a few stages look like they were drawn in MS paint. Characters themselves are really fleshed out, only having a few attacks, many of which useless (never managed to get back on the stage using the up+B attack, and most projectiles don't seem to do much if any damage). There's also the fact that the game only supports 3 players, although arguably that's not much of a con since there's no multiplayer anyway. Oh, and it includes data its developers aren't entitled to. Using ripped sprites is one thing; it may be "theft", but it's tolerable considering it's not really doing any harm. However, Crash actually includes roms of official nintendo games, which isn't a morally grey area, it's just plain wrong and illegal. And it just goes to show how much of the development has gone into the menu and superficial features rather than actual gameplay.

3.5/10 (the game may be unplayable, but effort has gone into it and something good could still potentially come out of it...maybe)

Mind Maze

A very impressive production; pretty much looks like a retail game (aside from that "now loading" screen which really looks out of place). Everything's there : awesome graphics, excellent music and an overall high amount of polish; it all looks and feels very nice. There are problems though; the menu feels a bit unresponsive (sliding through icons is great, however I've found tapping one to select it very hard and annoying), and I think having a "title" under the currently selected icon in the main menu to see what it is would have made it feel a little more complete (although this last one may just be personal preference; it might have hurt the art style so it's understandable). That's just the menu though, and it's obviously nothing game breaking. Overall each game is very playable, there are some really nice effects all over the place, and while that's far from essential to gameplay it's a nice change compared to other homebrew games. The first three mini games work very well; I'm not so convinced by the Labyrinth one though. It's playable but I find controlling the ball a little annoying unfortunately, and I think it could definitely have benefitted from a better control scheme (something ala Marble (by Noda) could have been more fun). It should also be noted the while the three other mini-games do work well, there isn't much variety and one might feel he's just doing the same thing over and over again. That however is a question of taste, and i'm sure those who ejoy puzzle games will enjoy Mind Maze, which is overall spectacular in terms of production value.

7.5/10

Flyin'

A nice start. Unfortunately, I must say that my favorite part in this game was the menu, which looks absolutely fantastic; very professional and impressive. The gameplay itself could definitely use a tune up however : while the in game graphics are great (by the DS's standards anyway), the fly the player controls just doesn't have as much manoeuvrability as one would expect or like. Getting through levels is tedious at best and sometimes seemingly impossible. The game could definitely benefit from having more visual cues, a less rigid control scheme and maybe more forgiving collision detection. Also, sound would have been nice; understandably there isn't a "bzzzz" sound (it would probably have been very annoying), but some background music would have been nice. So overall this is a nice idea and so far it's looking nice, but I don't think it's gone far enough to be a truly enjoyable game at this point.

5/10

Everyman

It might sound weird, but what I have to say about this game is surprisingly similar to what I said about Flyin'. It's a great start, the art style is spot on, but it's still missing a lot in order to be a "real" game. It's a nice little platformer, unfortunately it's lacking in a department that's quite important to this kind of games : collision detection. What the game has at the moment works most of the time, but the important part here is "most of the time". While I played it, my character was sometimes ejected and seemingly teleported to another part of the level just after trying to jump onto a platform. The jumping could also use some tuning, although it still works fine in its current form. The scrolling could also be improved; I feel it would be nice to see a larger area in front of the player instead of that tiny 40px or something strip. It would definitely help in finding the right path, because right now there are next to no visual cues and it's easy to mix up a wall with a part of the background, or even some of those deadly plant things. It could be nice to have a little animation in the background also, and maybe have some use for the top screen. Overall though, this is a very nice start and I hope something more comes of it. (oh, and the introduction text goes by a *little* bit too quickly !)

5/10

Now I can't expect to be considered objective when reviewing my own games, but at the same time I think I'm aware of most of their flaws, so here goes...

Arsenal

Overall nice game, great graphics (both artistically and technically) and good controls. Polished enough, although the menu is pretty glitchy. Comes with a complete content editor, however it's not very user friendly and therefore seemingly hasn't been used by anyone but the creator of the game. The game also comes with the ability to download new game content (pretty much anything from new menu art to levels, or even new enemy ship models and textures) on the game's website or directly over wifi (the game installs the modifications by itself). However this was never used by anyone, so it's not the best selling point. The replay system is also glitchy. The biggest flaw however is probably the level design. The game was intentionally made to be very hard, however some of the latter levels (level6 and level7 in particular) are quite literally impossible, which is obviously problematic. Still, this is the first gamy I've ever created that I've actually played and enjoyed, and just for that I'd give it an 8/10.

DScraft

Rather impressive technical achievement, very flexible engine and strong content-sharing community. However all this is is a virtual lego set, and it might be boring to some people, while others will enjoy building things for hours. Quite buggy and long loading times in this version, although that is understandable for an open world game of this scope on such limited hardware. Not much else to say; the menu is cool enough (especially being able to visualize texture packs without having to be in game). I'd personally also give it 8/10, but that's just me I guess. (this is actually the second game I made I've ever actually played; I built a few forts and towers and actually had fun)