Author Topic: "Bugzilla" - NeoMax bug collection  (Read 9464 times)

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
"Bugzilla" - NeoMax bug collection
« on: March 11, 2006, 07:44:57 AM »
A list of currently known bugs for NeoMax PC software and the DS side application
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
Re: "Bugzilla" - NeoMax bug collection
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 07:58:53 AM »
NeoMax V1.9A4
PC
-occasionally the program will not allow you to add some .nds or .gba files to the SD card - adding GBA Shaman King - Master of Spirits 2 (US)  in SD/MMC menu with add *.gba gives attached screen error message

-allows you to try and format the NeoKey???

NDS menu formatted
- When viewing files on MM card, only 4/5 can be selected (does not scroll down to the 5th file using D-pad, when using touch screen cannot scroll back up with the up arrow and will not scroll down unless the first file is selected)

- Homebrew .nds (ex: antarex.nds) will not run when started from MM card (workaround: antarex.ds.gba made with dsbuild.exe, renamed to Antarex.nds works perfectly)
- homebrew that is not ds.gba renamed to .nds appears as black boxes in the menu

- built in moonshell will not load any plugin type files (BMP, MP3) and always has a junk/kanji entry at the bottom of the file screen. There are also dupes (*.bak) of many files causing larger than necissary ROM file

- does not ask/backup NDS saves (even homebrew that saves to SRAM gets no backups)

- when booting GBA from the SD card in the NDS menu saves are not (noticeably) backedup/restored

GBA menu formatted
- GBA menu's gamecode is "DSBooter" - on a flashme DS this causes whitescreens. (workaround: hold select on powerup DS
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 05:26:35 PM by cory1492 »
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 06:32:25 PM »

I have a similar problem in nds formatted mode, with an error saying
there is "no free memory", when there should be space. 
--- Reply: [1] because neoflash cart will store the roms at the diploid size address,for example you have 256M memory size,but u want to put one 128M and one 80M roms,neo-max will reject your request,and show "no free memory" [2] if not this reason,please tell me more details about your case,and give me the game name let me try it.

Also, the program just will not add certain gba and nds titles (some cryptic error in a
non-English language pops up).  Cory already mentioned the size limitation when
adding certain nds files to the SD card. 
--- Reply: [1] please tell me what games,then i can check it.
[2] "non-English error message" --- please upload the screen shoot.

Furthermore, I still cannot add the
antares.nds homebrew file, either to the cart or SD card to run (get another
non-English error message).
--- Reply: [1] please tell me where to get this homebrew,then i can check it.

While the gba loader seems to be functioning more or less correctly,
the nds loader has saving issues.  There is no "saver file" created for any of
the nds roms I have burned on the flashcart (when you choose to format and
select 'sd/mmc support').  So, after you run a rom from the flashcart,
there is no way to save your progress.  Saver files show up for the nds roms
loaded on the SD card, however.
--- Reply:    the GBA Loader can play and save gba games only, can't play nds games, and can't operate the SD card. because you can't operate MK2/MK3 under gba mode.

When I use the sms manager, I can see both the gba and nds saves that
are stored on the sd card, and open them up, hex edit the values, save
them, and also run the search function.  The save manager crashed, though,
when I was hex editing a nds save.
--- Reply: this bug is well-regulated? and please write down your operation step by step,thans.
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 07:54:37 PM »
~~ are my replys

--- Reply: [1] because neoflash cart will store the roms at the diploid size address,for example you have 256M memory size,but u want to put one 128M and one 80M roms,neo-max will reject your request,and show "no free memory" [2] if not this reason,please tell me more details about your case,and give me the game name let me try it.
~~when I copy files over with the ndspatch option to the SD card, or use a file with the ndsmall loader prepended the menu seems to get the size correct and does not have this problem, any others and it comes up with whatever number is in the location (in one case the rom was 250000MBit + but it was a 2Mbit homebrew)

Also, the program just will not add certain gba and nds titles (some cryptic error in a
~~I havent seen this error message or I would have made a screenshot

~~antarex.nds is what was included on the SD card that was sent out with NeoMax. Adding the ndsmall to the start (or using dsbuild.exe) fixes my issue with it. See attachments.

--- Reply:    the GBA Loader can play and save gba games only, can't play nds games, and can't operate the SD card. because you can't operate MK2/MK3 under gba mode.
~~ he says the GBA loader works fine, but the NDS loader has the problem. When I use NDS mode with SD/MMC for my savers and burn an NDS file to the cart with NeoMax, it never creates/uses a save backup file for the save data on the SD card.

--- Reply: this bug is well-regulated? and please write down your operation step by step,thans.
~~I dont find any problems with it myself...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 08:25:18 PM by cory1492 »

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 11:01:34 PM »
Just a bit of info:
NeoFlash 512 is detected as cardtype 5, NeoMax as cardtype 12, XG2005 512 as
cardtype 2
--- Reply: now the cart type of neo-max is final standard.

When formatting, SD/MMC support is checked off by default, but the box does not
look like it is checked off.
When you disable SD/MMC support, it fills the box in instead of clearing it.
The GBA enable compress is odd too, when you click it on then off it is enabled
with the box empty.
Also, the "open read only" has this problem when adding a rom file.
--- Reply: ok,i'll change the "yes" to "V",and "no" to "x",so it's more easier to understand.

NDS formatted
I added 1 NDS 128Mbit and 1 GBA 64Mbit rom (in that order) after a fresh format
and pressed multi-rom and it says "No free memory!"
and changes the size of the NDS I added first to 100x what it was origionally.
Adding them one at a time and burning after adding one didnt seem to be a
problem.
--- Reply: what cart you use for test? how big the memory size? i use neo-max 512M + 128M to test,can't find your issue...

Desktop.bmp from the skin dir is never displayed anywhere. (not a bug: simply
must load it using the skin menu in start)
--- Reply: i think it's better,to avoid some problem for example user don't plug in the SD/MMC.

in moonshell, none of the extensions that were moved to plugins work (.bmp, MP3
etc) (the IMFS shell folder is inaccessable)
--- Reply: i think it's moonshell version,you can update the MOONSHLEE by yourself,you just need copy new MOONSHLEE to C:\Program Files\Neo Max\Moonshell

With an NDS file on the SD card (copied over using the SD menu), 16MByte, trying
to launch it from SD results in "game is too large, write to cart" message
--- Reply: NDS Loader can support the rom size not bigger than the cart ZIP ram size only,then menu can copy it to ZIP ram for run,if the rom size bigger than the ZIP ram size,you have to use NeoMax to write it to flash memory to run.

With the new SMS manager utility, I can see GBA saves only, and can do nothing
with any of them.
--- Reply: neo-max keep the nsa saves to the SD/MMC only,you can find them in NDS SAVER folder.

Running GBA from the SD card (burns to the cart I presume) works well
(but slow, the message on the bottom of the screen stays with "press start for
menu" possibly should say "please wait" or similar), also, once it is flashed through the menu
there is no way to run it again without reflashing it.
--- Reply: OK,will revise it.

Not really a bug, but it bugs me: what is on the top screen appears ugly...
--- Reply: ok,we will use the NeoFlash_PNG_RealColor.png to instead with it:)

GBA format
GBA menu still contains the DS PASS phrase. Trying to boot the DS with flashme
fails.
--- Reply: GBA menu is one PURE  gba mode APP,can't support NDS. If you want to play GBA on your NDS,you should use the nds menu.

As far as I have checked SMS in GBA mode format is working flawlessly.
--- Reply: sure:)
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline bruceg

• NEO Tester
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 03:21:16 AM »
~~ are my replys
Thanks, cory, for addressing this (was away from my computer, even though I was still logged on here)

~~when I copy files over with the ndspatch option to the SD card, or use a file with the ndsmall loader prepended the menu seems to get the size correct and does not have this problem, any others and it comes up with whatever number is in the location (in one case the rom was 250000MBit + but it was a 2Mbit homebrew)
Ok, thanks for the clarification.  That explains that "bug".  Also, I am using ndspatch now, so I guess that's why I never noticed that the sizes were incorrect.

~~I havent seen this error message or I would have made a screenshot

It may have been fixed with neomax 1.9.  I always test the same roms in my test folder, and the message hasn't popped up so far.  If so, I'll let you know with the exact rom titles (unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera)  :(

EDIT: Ok, using the SD/MMC Manager tab in Neomax 1.9, try to add the gba roms: Gunstar Super Heroes (USA) or Shonen Jump's Shamen King - Master of Spirits 2 (USA).  You should get an error message -- it's a yellow triangle symbol with a '!' mark inside (there are NO words describing the error)

~~antarex.nds is what was included on the SD card that was sent out with NeoMax. Adding the ndsmall to the start (or using dsbuild.exe) fixes my issue with it. See attachments.

Thanks... was going to attach that

~~ he says the GBA loader works fine, but the NDS loader has the problem. When I use NDS mode with SD/MMC for my savers and burn an NDS file to the cart with NeoMax, it never creates/uses a save backup file for the save data on the SD card.

Yes, what cory is saying.... nds saves don't seem to be working correctly with nds loader.  Plus, if I play ANY nds game from the SD card, the save is not remembered the next time I play.  There are .sav files in the ndssaver folder, for each game on the SD card, but they aren't been updated to store the latest save data.  In addition, it does not ask me to backup the save data every time I reboot the ds, unlike the gba formatted SMS (which seems perfect).   

~~I dont find any problems with it myself...

I can't replicate it again in neomax 1.9.... it only happened once before, so I'll ignore that for now.. thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:11:19 PM by bruceg »

Offline bruceg

• NEO Tester
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 03:38:18 AM »
NDS formatted
I added 1 NDS 128Mbit and 1 GBA 64Mbit rom (in that order) after a fresh format
and pressed multi-rom and it says "No free memory!"
and changes the size of the NDS I added first to 100x what it was origionally.
Adding them one at a time and burning after adding one didnt seem to be a
problem.
--- Reply: what cart you use for test? how big the memory size? i use neo-max 512M + 128M to test,can't find your issue...
I am using my neomax 1 gig to test (I have tried several combinations of 128 Mb and 64 Mbit roms, and everything works fine..  Maybe this was fixed??

With the new SMS manager utility, I can see GBA saves only, and can do nothing
with any of them.
--- Reply: neo-max keep the nsa saves to the SD/MMC only,you can find them in NDS SAVER folder.

Yes, cory resolved that issue.... He can get it to work now.  I noticed that the keyboard (using search function) seems to be overlaying some button in the bottom left corner (this button does not function, but maybe it's not meant to do anything)

Cory, I reviewed the existing bugs on your bugzilla using 1.9 (the ones I could test)....

When viewing files on the MM card using nds loader, while you cannot use the d-pad to scroll further than the fourth file, you can use the tiny down arrow button to see the remaining files (though the tiny up arrow isn't working for me to go back up again).

BruceG
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:23:41 PM by bruceg »

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 09:54:31 PM »
Added the screenshot for you Bruce. Youll note the games I have in NDS on that screenshot, only the antarex.ds.gba (renamed to .nds) and Zookeeper appear when I boot the menu, bomberman.nds (unpatched, and any homebrew without the loader) show up as black squares in the DS MMC menu (had it worded backwards/inconsistently, fixed that now too)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:58:27 PM by cory1492 »

Offline bruceg

• NEO Tester
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 07:25:39 PM »
excellent screenshot....thanks!

BruceG

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:47:06 PM »
NDS formatted
I added 1 NDS 128Mbit and 1 GBA 64Mbit rom (in that order) after a fresh format and pressed multi-rom and it says "No free memory!" and changes the size of the NDS I added first to 100x what it was origionally.
Adding them one at a time and burning after adding one didnt seem to be a problem.
~~ this was fixed with 1.9, no more problem with it (havent tried A2 yet though). I was using a freshly formatted NM512+128.

Desktop.bmp from the skin dir is never displayed anywhere. (not a bug: simply
must load it using the skin menu in start)
--- Reply: i think it's better,to avoid some problem for example user don't plug in the SD/MMC.

It was fine indeed, although once I selected it, it always loaded when I boot it. (it just gives an error if I dont have MK3 inserted)

in moonshell, none of the extensions that were moved to plugins work (.bmp, MP3 etc) (the IMFS shell folder is inaccessable)
--- Reply: i think it's moonshell version,you can update the MOONSHLEE by yourself,you just need copy new MOONSHLEE to C:\Program Files\Neo Max\Moonshell
Current moonshells wont work with the MK3's I have. The built in version does, but the plugins didnt work because there was a bug with EXFS. Most users dont know how to upgrade it, I upgraded it with a 0k file since it was mostly useless (no plugins loaded == no functions like MP3 use).

With an NDS file on the SD card (copied over using the SD menu), 16MByte, trying to launch it from SD results in "game is too large, write to cart" message
--- Reply: NDS Loader can support the rom size not bigger than the cart ZIP ram size only,then menu can copy it to ZIP ram for run,if the rom size bigger than the ZIP ram size,you have to use NeoMax to write it to flash memory to run.
~~ gotcha ;-)

With the new SMS manager utility, I can see GBA saves only, and can do nothing with any of them.
That was entirely my fault, I was using DPad instead of touch screen.

Running GBA from the SD card (burns to the cart I presume) works well
(but slow, the message on the bottom of the screen stays with "press start for menu" possibly should say "please wait" or similar), also, once it is flashed through the menu there is no way to run it again without reflashing it.
--- Reply: OK,will revise it.
It was so slow loading GBA I thought it was burning it to the cart, but Im guessing now that you reminded me of it, it was loaded to zip RAM instead... no need to revise it unless it is actually burning it to the cart.

Not really a bug, but it bugs me: what is on the top screen appears ugly...
--- Reply: ok,we will use the NeoFlash_PNG_RealColor.png to instead with it:)
I am glad to not see the dirty looking windows mockup :-) (I hate to say it, but making anything to look like windows cheapens it)

GBA format
GBA menu still contains the DS PASS phrase. Trying to boot the DS with flashme fails.
--- Reply: GBA menu is one PURE gba mode APP,can't support NDS. If you want to play GBA on your NDS,you should use the nds menu.
And since it is a pure GBA app, change the gamecode so it isnt DSBooter so flashme doesnt detect it (How about change it to NeoMax...) and there will be no problems! - see the attached revision, I altered the gamecode and checksum so it does not put flashme'd DS into DS mode, but works with both GBA and NDS in GBA mode... but the NeoMax app also thinks the cart isnt formatted then. (I do have both a GBA and an NDS btw)

ATTACHED: NeoMax 1.9 GBA booter DAT file with fixed header, does not trigger NDS mode on flashme'd DS's. Also included the tool I used to fix the complement checksum after I hex edited the gametitle (dont use this tool to edit that, no good can come of it)
NOTE: the NeoMax software relies on the gamecode being something specific, so the change I put was not quite enough. The GBA menu should have a different gametitle though.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 01:06:19 PM by cory1492 »