Author Topic: Flashme V7 boot MK2/3 directly and not need any gba cart or neo-key anymore!  (Read 26458 times)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
Nintendo DS firmware replacement (a.k.a. FlashMe)
Currently it is a hacked version of original firmware.
Version: NDS-FW-V7.
Note: If you still have V4, do not play games that use the Nintendo Wi-fi connection.

* The button combination A+B+X+Y, gamecode "PASS" or title "DSBooter" on the GBA cartridge automatically starts program from GBA cartridge (starting from offset 0xC0).
      Most applications (like FlashMe) that were packaged with a newer ndstool already have a built-in nds loader, removing the need to prepend an auxillary nds loader to make it compatible with the FlashMe/PassMe boot method.
    * Fail-safe feature: The first part of firmware is write-protected with the SL1 contact. In case malware erases the rest, you can still reinstall FlashMe from GBA cartridge by holding START+SELECT+A+B keys.
    * Backlight fades in at startup.
    * Effectively removes the health screen, making it less annoying to boot.
    * Remove RSA signature check for Wireless MultiBooting (WMB) homebrew NDS files.

:-*

link: http://ds.gcdev.com/dsfirmware/
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
1 - go to the above site and follow its instructions carefully. There is more help in the FAQ thread (here) if you need it.

2 - put V0.6 (currently Beta2) or newer of the MK2 Menu onto a flashcart or NeoKey, and place the .nds version of the latest menu onto an SD/MMC card.

3 - goto MMC logo, browse to the menu file you just placed onto your SD card, you will notice on the top screen the message "Press A to flash menu". Press A and agree to let it flash to the menu.

4 - remove the GBA cart/NeoKey. Turn on the DS with only the MK2 or MK3 in the DS slot and it will boot the menu you just flashed to the menuflash.

Congrats, you will no longer need the NeoKey or FlashCart unless something odd happens to corrupt your menuflash.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 03:21:26 PM by cory1492 »
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline d-loader

Yey!, just test it, and it works  :-*

Offline q_armando

Sorry to double post here,but on a second tought this post belongs here...
It works!! It works!!!
Finally, I was able to update to flashme v7 and now it works like a charm!!
I can confirm that with flashme v7, the MK3 boots by itself, without a neokey or any GBA cart !!!(Provided that you burned the menu to the MK3 memory).

On the technical side:
I had flashme v6 and in order to update to v7 I had to short SL1 again.
I wasn't really expecting that, I mean after updating from v5 to v6 so easily, I didn't think I had to short sl1 again, and I was totally unprepared!!
I almost paniked a little, because the process stopped at 66%, and being carefull not to accidentally shoot it off, I had to remove the battery cover and then find a suitable metal object to do the trick, and I didn't even have a fully charged battery at the moment!!
Anyway I succeded and now my DS happily runs flashme v7 and the MK3 boots without any gba cart.

Thanks again to Cory for the hint about usind dsbuild to create a ds.gba version of flashme.nds, since it's the only format that can boot from my old F2A 256pro.
Now that I don't need that cart even to boot the MK3, and since the battery is long gone , what am I gonna do with it ?
Oh well, I still have a GB bridge somewhere to play some non-emulated GBC games!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:01:47 PM by q_armando »
Quote from: scrotor on January 05, 2006, 10:32:35 PM
"You are a dildohead......
......I had a few issues getting up and running, so ask away, I'll do my best to help you, even tho' you're being a @#$% cheap ass pirate.
"

Offline d-loader

you had to short SL1,  q_armando? .. I didn't  ::) .. I just send it over WMB, and it started to flash itself  ;D

Offline q_armando

Yeah,
what can I tell you, the process suddenly stopped at 66%.
Maybe flashme v6 wasn't correctly installed after all, since I used a different method to flash it.
Or maybe it was the first flashme v5 that was incorrectly installed to beguin with, since I prepended an nds loader by myself I think with ndsmall or something like that.
Since recently I learned from Cory that dsbuild.exe would do the trick, is what I used to make a bootable version of flashme v7 that worked from my F2A 256pro.
Anyway I would reccomend people not to take it for granted that they will not need to short sl1 again, it might happen, and if it does it would be good to be prepared.....
Quote from: scrotor on January 05, 2006, 10:32:35 PM
"You are a dildohead......
......I had a few issues getting up and running, so ask away, I'll do my best to help you, even tho' you're being a @#$% cheap ass pirate.
"

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
Same here, mine updated V6 to V7 no problem (just used the .nds version burned to my XG2005 cart) - it kinda slowed down at 70% or so but it still went.

The only thing I can think of: some of the latest DS's with V5 firmware (acts like the V4 firmware that turns the pictochat test yellow, but does dark blue instead) has ~75% of the firmware write protected instead of ~25% of it. I have heard caitsith2 on gbadev had triggered this on an older firmware (more protected pages than there were origionally) and has had to short SL1 every time too.
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline rthefley

I got everything working, can boot without Neo-Key or NDS cart.

sadly, I wish I could play GBA games from the SD card, I can't. I even tried to flash the 6 beta2 GBA menu and couldnt

also, still can't get games like Princess Peach, Tetris DS and I am sure other to run from the SD card OR the Neo-Key

Very please but, any help with the problems I have listed?

Help anyone?

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
GBA will never run from a DS slot. The GBA emulation of the DS has absolutely no access to the DS slot hardware.

There are many games that dont work from the SD for many reasons. Sometimes the interface is too slow for them to run, sometimes there are things that werent patched/properly patched (they are working on this though, it is indeed a beta release).

Offline worstenbrood

I had flashme v6 and in order to update to v7 I had to short SL1 again.

I didnt have to do that ?? Just worked without shorting SL1, anyway it works great no more gba device to boot the MK, thx loopy !

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
If your initial firmware was V3 then as I understand it (I dont read italian better than Google Translator) you will have to short SL1 to update from V6 to V7.

Offline worstenbrood

If your initial firmware was V3 then as I understand it (I dont read italian better than Google Translator) you will have to short SL1 to update from V6 to V7.

mine was V3, and i didnt had to short...

Offline Alacraner

Updating from V6 to V7 it stopped at 66%. I need to short SL1 to finish flashme.
Works fine!! My EZ Flash II comes back to my old GBA..
Thanks!

Alacraner.

Offline d-loader

I still find it hard to belive, that people keep dissing the NeoTeam, with comments like: "ZOMG, NEOFLASH DUN UPGRATE THIRE PRODUCTS, THEY DUN CARE ABOUT THIER COSTUMERS ROFLKTHXBYE!"

The developers are just taking thier time, and now look: we don't even have to use a flashcard anymore.. and the features promised for version 0.7  is already integrated!  :D

by the way, does any of you know what the NeoTeam will focus on now? .. are all the basic features enabled by now, so they can stay focused on the romcompatibility and speed now?

Offline bruceg

• NEO Tester
We don't know what the coders are going to work on next...  We did provide a compatibility report  for the commercial roms (tested from the SD card), so hopefully this will get used to improve the patching routines & speed.

BruceG