Author Topic: The vote for NEO Spring Coding 2006 nds game entriers  (Read 57985 times)

Offline Nikolas

Re: The vote for NEO Spring Coding 2006 nds game entriers
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2006, 09:48:07 PM »
Payk, the main reason why "good" developers don't like palib is that it hides the hardware. You can do something like PA_zOMG_InitHardware(); but don't actually know what it does. Also, there is a big difference bethween palib and libnds. Libnds is a low level library that mostly consists of defines for hardware adresses. Palib on the other hand is a "high level" library that consists of functions that are meant to make things easy for new comers. But in reality, these "sort cut" functions only hide the hardware and teach bad habbits to people who use them. And to be honest, the hardware is not that hard to use as you (Payk) most likely have noticed. It's just a matter of knowing what your doing.

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2006, 09:54:10 PM »
as i wrote
My Opinion is that pa is much more handyer then ndslib. But not easier...
i meaned same like
And to be honest, the hardware is not that hard to use as you (Payk) most likely have noticed

and when i wrote:
U dont need to set up rambanks make interrupts between 2 cpus...

i meaned same like:
the main reason why "good" developers don't like palib is that it hides the hardware.

So thanx for repeating what i meaned...

Offline Gwoin

• CodeArtex
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2006, 10:20:33 PM »
Payk, the main reason why "good" developers don't like palib  [...]

Thank you. I like PALib so I am not a good developer...  ::sm-04::
I have to say that to my boss, because I am the lead programer and the project manager at work... May be he will be interested in knowing that

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2006, 10:31:02 PM »
hehe perhaps a bit unfair to say that..But perhaps he doesnt meaned skills... and also i want to say: Why he knows palib? is he a bad coder? or did he changed to ndslib for some weeks and with that he becomes a good programmer? so dont be set up with that... Its my 2. ndsproject and i have to say: I am same coder like before. It doesnt made me become a champion and it doesnt effect that all people love my game. It has just some effects on romsize and lets the dever choose how to use hardware. Maybe u know how to use the hardware effeciently. Or maybe not. But if u have deverskills it really shouldnt matter which one u choose. It has to be bugfree. Maybe its a bit simpler with palib to get it bugfree because its less code...But anyway Gwoin, ur gamebox is bugfree so u did that right way doesnt matter what others say. Perhaps with ndslib would be smaller/faster, but would not be same...And ur game is cool like it is

Offline Nikolas

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2006, 12:51:21 AM »
It has to be bugfree.
And if has a bugged function, you're screwed.

Quote from:  Payk
U dont need to set up rambanks make interrupts between 2 cpus...
Rambanks? You mean vram banks? What do they have to do with interrupts? I assume you meant "You don't need to set up vram banks or communication stuff bethween 2 cpus." But that's exactly the problem. What do you do if you run out of vram? What if palibs arm9<-->arm7 communication method is borked? High level library on low level system doesn't is not that good idea (In my oppinion. Remember this is all just my oppinions. You of course are entitled to have your own oppinions). And no, I have never used palib. I've always used libnds (and ndslib before that).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:22:44 AM by Nikolas »

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2006, 01:03:30 AM »
yes vram i meaned. No it was just an example of course vrambanks have nothing to do with interrupts. Its an example for things which pa_libber dont know... and i agree i think most devers would not notice that they currently raping the vram... It hangs or get itchy grafiks and they have no idea why and no way to solve that...

Offline jandujar

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2006, 06:33:01 PM »
Where is the judge result?  ???

Offline d-loader

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2006, 06:52:37 PM »
Where is the judge result?  ???

good question  ::)