Author Topic: 4 light levels on regular DS with flashme...  (Read 2461 times)

Offline firetalon

4 light levels on regular DS with flashme...
« on: May 10, 2006, 11:11:24 AM »
"Run the newest flashme. If it thinks you have a DS Lite, you're in luck. If not, there's nothing you can do about it, it's not going to work.

Using the flashme beta won't help. It's the same thing.

Installing V5 firmware before running flashme won't help. You can't trick flashme into giving you more light settings... it doesn't work like that.

It's not your firmware that determines whether your DS is capable of changing its brightness. This is a hardware thing. The DS Lite has a newer power management chip (this is what turns your backlight on and off) which allows multiple brightness settings. Some of the newer "normal" DSes are also being built with this chip. These are shipping with V5 firmware. When flashme runs, it detects whether or not your DS has this new PM chip, and installs the Lite firmware if you do. Loading Lite firmware onto a DS that doesn't have this chip will not do anything for you."

The above information was posted by Loopy in a discussion about this happening...

Someone also posted after, that they got it to work, and it makes your DS have four light levels...  two darker than the normal light level, and one above the regular light level, but you can't turn off the backlight anymore (regular DS users can turn it from ON to OFF with no light levels, and DS-Lite firmware users can turn it from Low, to Brighter, to Regular-DS level, to Even Brighter levels...)

When you're loading up the latest Flashme version (V7), it will say DS-Lite on the screen, instead of DS (somewhere, forget where)...

Hope this helps somebody     :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 11:15:57 AM by firetalon »

Offline Scor

Re: 4 light levels on regular DS with flashme...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 01:28:22 PM »
This seems a bit strange to me, since Viewtiful Joe DS (I think it's that title) let's me switch between different light settings (bright normal and off).
I had FW V2 before the flashme, but I didn't get the brightness option (I can't find it anywhere so :)).