Author Topic: Legacy -> xGrid Entry  (Read 8599 times)

Offline sg57

• ...you'll never know what it's like...
    • SG57's Projects
Legacy -> xGrid Entry
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:02:17 PM »
Here is an actual release of the little game I through together.

From the game (objective):

"Try to keep yourself away from being smacked (not too violent for the younger users) by the enemy, while at the same time, trying to outline the field grid to banish the evil."

In some comments I had on this, some said the 'characters' in this looked alot like 'spiders', so I might as well use it as what the characters are.  Your a green spider (good) and all your fellow spiders are evil (red) and have bulked up on the count of herbal enhancers ;)

Main Features:

-Mirror Mode:  Completely inverts the playing field.  Light -> Dark, Dark->Light, the background image is flipped completely, and  the white grid lines are now a shade of gray and randomly disapperaed, meaning its harder than non-Mirror Mode since you are most likely to backtrack alot.
- MP3 Player is built-in, will only play music from the MUSIC directory, sub-folders aren't supporteded yet.  Seeking back/forward, Repeat song On/off and Pause/Stop/Play
- Auto-Randomized 'slow-down' of the game play near the end of each stage, so you can both check out the abstract background hidden beneathe, and rest your fingers a little ;)

Controls are:

X --  Mirror Mode  Toggle (on/off)
O -- Pause/Resume Song
[] -- Stop Song
/\ -- Toggle Repeat

D-Pad -- Control Movement

L/R Triggers -- Seek Forward/Backward

Start -- Pause
Select -- Exit

Bugs:
Not any real bugs...  A few un-finished features most likely...
-  MP3 Player:  I have all my music in sub-folders, so in-order to test, i simply took one out and placed it in MUSIC folder, so when seeking forward/backward, it stayed on the same song, obviously, so if I could get a report on whether it works like it should, seeking/repeat, then thatd be great :) (I am pressed for time so testing more on this right now is out of the question :()
-  Because I am using an already ortho-view state, using a bitmapped font for text got scrambled and modifying the code made it worse as its strict :(  So there isnt any text in game, but the visuals are enough...  The Top-left green spiders are your lives (max of 5), the top-most blue-diamonds stand for the level your on, while the twinkling diamonds below it, are what stage, very easy and simple to understand, so illiterates can even play :D (just joking around)
-  No sound, as I love my music, so hereing powerup sounds and such would ruin it for me...  Sorry, but I got to be selfish a little on this one.

The splash image is built into the game so anytime any one plays, it they will no doubt see it, so Dr. Neo, hope thats ok.  Meaning, you uncover the playing field, and underneathe it is the splash image... just like the GetTheStars game has it, so it should be ok....

Where do i go to host it?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/iyynga
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:23:26 PM by sg57 »
...you'll never know what it's like...
...spending your whole life in a dream...

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
Re: Legacy -> xGrid Entry
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:30:41 PM »
why you don't upload to our local server?  ::sm-03::
and where is the screenshots?
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline blind

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 04:14:31 PM »
sg57 sofar ive managed to recive 2 "crash's" both happen momentarly after the EBOOT.PBP trys to load.. (i think i got that right)

I was going to take screenshots for you but unfortunatly i can't becouse it hasn't loaded yet!

I'm runnin a FW 1.5 PSP1001 have you tested the game much yet ?

Offline LAMPRO

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:49:25 PM »
***CRASH***

not working for me at all...

Offline sg57

• SG57's Projects
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 08:33:34 PM »
Your kidding...  I didnt check the RAR file for errors before uploading.  This stupid virus on my computer corrupted an image when I was RARing them.

I updated my post with an error-free RAR so it should extract now.  I hope you still take it for hte contest, but if not, that's ok, my fault for not checking for errors before uploading  ::sm-02::

EDIT

Here are some screens of gameplay...  The lines arent really all jagged like that since they're antiliased (however you spell it) so when capturing a single frame of that will cause it to look like this, but in game play, its silky smooth lines :))

The very top, there are rotating diamonds on random axes, so capturing a single frame of that will make it look weird, but in game play, you can easily see them, as the stage indicator is randomized constantly.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:49:32 PM by sg57 »

Offline saulotmalo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »
looks funny :D

Offline Shady3089

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 04:31:44 AM »
the game was fun. interesting. no crashes

Offline sg57

• SG57's Projects
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 04:40:42 AM »
Not so much a challenge, until level 3+, but the simplicity and addictiveness has me playing.

Offline snpinu2

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:23:34 AM »
just what i thought!  its just like a clone of that amidar game, but better eye candy :-)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 05:25:49 AM by snpinu2 »

Offline [f]tari [a]reak

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 12:30:56 PM »
moment of truth...

if this can keep me occupied atleast 15min then u have me....

Offline sg57

• SG57's Projects
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 12:37:31 PM »
You're an atari freak I can tell (by your name lol) so this should just cut it for you  ::sm-29.gif::

Tell me your level and stage when you die as well...  Level 4 is brutal... Im thinking of limiting it to level 3, stage 3 as the limit...

Oh and glad to here you're playing it  ::sm-18.gif::  Got any other atari classics youd like a clone of?  I havent a coding project now, but I do have a school project, so id have to compromise...

Offline [f]tari [a]reak

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 12:49:55 PM »
yeah u got me....  the mp3 player did me in good!

after 3 songs 15 minutes was up....  nice remake, fancy graphics for not using external images!

overall good game in my book.

as for other games, there are none since there already a pacman, simon and space invaders...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:53:18 PM by [f]tari [a]reak »

Offline sg57

• SG57's Projects
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 01:08:02 PM »
Glad to hear it  :D

Now i play the waiting game...  ::sm-12.gif::

Offline worships_atari

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 04:38:40 PM »
Hey whats up atari freak?  i had fun at our little MSN - 4 hour conversation! lolol...

Back on topic:  Is this the game you mentioned?

God knows I love anything that is,was, or will be somehow related to atari :D !!!

Ill give this atry email my thoughts sg.  But if it can keep me busy for a little while it should do fine :)

*Downloading...*