Author Topic: the POLL for PSP GAME division  (Read 64622 times)

Offline danzel

Re: the POLL for PSP GAME division
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2006, 02:59:32 PM »
I won't say who my vote went to, but I'll say that it was a very difficult choice, even after a full day of play testing.

There are some awesome games here guys! I'll be enjoying em for weeks :)

Offline AnonymousTipster

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2006, 04:19:45 PM »
When does the poll close?
It's been asked before, but we haven't got a clear answer yet.
I need to know, so that I can switch to panic mode! ::sm-04::

Offline PopcOrn DeVil

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2006, 04:42:52 PM »
 8) I voted ThrottleX, by far my favourite ;).

Offline ArtDonkey

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2006, 05:39:09 PM »
I agree with Popc0rn Devil. I'm a designer so I'm easily swayed by graphics but this is a coding comp so Throttle X has to win.  There's nothing comes close in technical terms.

Offline sg57

• ...you'll never know what it's like...
    • SG57's Projects
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2006, 07:00:53 PM »
id love to know when the poll closes as well...

Any info on that Dr. Neo?
...you'll never know what it's like...
...spending your whole life in a dream...

Offline Raphael

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2006, 08:05:49 PM »
Voted for R-Gear for the following reason:
A really new release
Commercial production style
resembles the old-school feeling very well
made me play quite some time until I got further without starting to get frustrating

Well, that -10 for originality there is kinda hard ;) I'd say -7, but +10 for any of the above. BTW, I don't find it problematic to use ripped sprites, as long as not everything is ripped (that's also what Dr. neo said in the other thread before the compo).

I also liked Trigo Wars a lot, but the one or other point from above wasn't hit 100% there, so it was close but R-Gear had the last little polish to it.

@ArtDonkey: I somehow share your idea about this being a coding compo, but I still think some good look and presentation should be aimed for. Also, if this would be a real choice of coding effort only I wonder what that PSP App results have to mean then :P I doubt they resemble that really
After all it's a public vote and therefore a measure of creativity, some advertising on other sites and being already known in the community. Only the final decision by the judges will be more likely aimed at the effort put into the production.

Offline AhMan

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2006, 09:40:00 PM »
I've just voted ThrottleX by AT.  I love the Infrastructure play on it and I hope more homebrew games will support this in the future, so that we can compete with each others via Internet.  It's a shame that many of the PSP retail games don't provide Infrastructure support.

Offline LMelior

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2006, 09:46:25 PM »
Dang, I was hoping for some criticism on my RPG engine ;)

Ah, yeah sorry, I knew I was forgetting many others.  I love roleplaying games; it has my favorite genre since FF1 on the NES.  That's right, before FF7, back when we had to wait years for good RPG releases.  Anyway, the engine sounds like it can be great, but there just wasn't enough content to merit a vote.  But I am definitely looking forward to seeing preview #2 with battles, and I would like to see a preview of the "shining" part of it, if that's still in the plans, because you may or may not have some competition in that category. :D

I also forgot Stroke of Link!  I had fun with that one for quite a while. :)  Move it was good too, but moving the blocks felt a little clunky.

Offline AnonymousTipster

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2006, 10:40:28 PM »
I can see where you're coming from Raphael, and although R-Gear is an awesome game which was programmed well, I wonder how much of that commercial polish came from using those sprites.

Nonetheless, if I get beaten by R-Gear, at least I know i've lost to a team of skilled programmers who have again raised the bar in PSP homebrew development.
I just hope that everyone enjoys my game and gets a good use out of it, because I tried to add in things to my game that would really increase it's lifespan, such as the editor and level downloads.

Good luck to all  :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 10:42:41 PM by AnonymousTipster »

Offline framerate

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2006, 11:10:50 PM »
I can see where you're coming from Raphael, and although R-Gear is an awesome game which was programmed well, I wonder how much of that commercial polish came from using those sprites.

Nonetheless, if I get beaten by R-Gear, at least I know i've lost to a team of skilled programmers who have again raised the bar in PSP homebrew development.
I just hope that everyone enjoys my game and gets a good use out of it, because I tried to add in things to my game that would really increase it's lifespan, such as the editor and level downloads.

Good luck to all  :)

yeah man, I've been playing your game quite a bit. Honestly, R-Gear might be a bit too difficult. I wish I could reverse my vote at times... (if that helps you at all to know). I've been playing ThrottleX more (as well as Stroke of Link) and wanted to thank you for doing something so fun for the scene.

Hopefully when my engine becomes a "game" you'll get some enjoyment out of it as well ;)

Offline Raphael

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2006, 11:20:51 PM »
@AnonymousTipster: Yeah it's true that a lot of that polish comes from the sprites, but the sprites alone don't make the game good. They have to be used correctly and there's a lot of coding involved in that :) Let apart that nice music and intro... (though I'd wish to be able to skip it somehow :P)

You're still far away from losing to R-Gear though according to the votes, so nothing to worry yet :) You too made a great game and I'm sure it is highly appreciated among the community :)

Offline shazz

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2006, 12:11:57 AM »
@AnonymousTipster : yep the competition is going to be tough.. but that's good ! Personnaly, I tried ThrottleX, and frankly speaking I was happy to get some feeling I had with Stunt Racer years ago... I think this is a good beginning but to make a full game you'll need some help in terms of gfx, 3d modeling, design and so on. You've got a good engine which is important but not enough...

My true desire would be that you find people to help you to make a full PSP game.... it's worth it.

R-Gear is in my humble opinion more "complete" in terms of a good balance between technical code, design, gameplay and music but we worked as a team (2 coders, 1 graphist and 3 musicians) so obviously it was "easier" for us. That's why we were able to release 2 games in a short timeframe (I worked with 71M on TrigWars, 71M is a member of the console division of Titan too).

The fact that the game features "commercial" sprites was a goal, we wanted to redo R-type on the PSP.
By the way, the graphist proposed to redo all the sprites if R-Gear is going to evolve... so we'll see ;-)
But technically speaking R-Gear is not that "bad" .... the gameplay is I think (as I was not the gameplay coder, so no stupid egocentric proud) 99% identical to the real R-type and that still amazes me !

by the way good luck to all :D
I don't really mind (me at least) of the prize, I'm more interested in having people happy to play this game :D

Offline fire master

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2006, 12:17:07 AM »
I think that thrrotle X could win because of it orinigality. (Great Work AnonymousTipster)
But R-Gear looks great and has additions to the original.(Great Work shazz)
But I like Sandbox because of all the mini games like Demolition.(Great work PS Smokey)
Also good luck to you all.  ::sm-29.gif::

P.S I thought Sandbox might of won but now Thrrotle X Might win 1st place.

P.S.S PS Smokey when are you going to continue Monkey 64.

Offline AnonymousTipster

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2006, 12:25:33 AM »
Competition is indeed good. I think it brings out the best work from people, I only add points that I think the judges should consider before reaching a final verdict.
With ThrottleX, I tried to do something a little different to most, to give the end user an interesting and lengthy experience. I worked very hard to add the editor and multiplayer, and so the visuals suffered. To me, a unique and interesting gameplay mechanic is more important than visuals, although they do have a role to play.
I will of course be building on the multiplayer base I've put down in this version, and plan to make a small online library to help C/C++ coders get their games online.

Anyway, I enjoyed RGear, and i'm sure you'll do well in the competition  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:30:55 AM by AnonymousTipster »

Offline psmonkey

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2006, 01:07:17 AM »
I think that thrrotle X could win because of it orinigality. (Great Work AnonymousTipster)
But R-Gear looks great and has additions to the original.(Great Work shazz)
But I like Sandbox because of all the mini games like Demolition.(Great work PS Smokey)
Also good luck to you all.  ::sm-29.gif::

P.S I thought Sandbox might of won but now Thrrotle X Might win 1st place.

P.S.S PS Smokey when are you going to continue Monkey 64.     

Heh. Another one likes demolision. It's my favorite, I just need to make more levels.  ::sm-29.gif::

Regarding m64, as soon as my v64jr shows up this week. I have a DD to hack.