Author Topic: Question  (Read 4479 times)

Offline mikeccc987

Question
« on: November 28, 2006, 07:05:46 AM »
Some where i read you do not give mk2's to game devolopers. Is this true? Also  what about a halo 1 rewrite? (im not asking for one)?

Offline Strike

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »
Actually, we ONLY supply kits to developers. Provided the only way to get one free is to prove yourself to be one. I am not sure about MK2's or 3's anymore; they are highly outdated, I believe they toss out MK4's and Neo2's instead. Second of all, I do not quite understand what you mean about a Halo rewrite. Specify what you mean and I will tell you how and why it will probably not happen. (Seriously, asking questions is a good way to learn.)

EDIT: If you meant game developers as in commercial production teams such as Activision, THQ, EA, etc., I can tell you that they would never need a product like this to develope software. These companies use both high end developement kits along with special varients of the DS meant for debugging a game throughout production, and some companies even use authentic Nintendo dev kits alongside the standalone Debugging DS. Do not ask me how to get any of these; you won't because I doubt you want to shell out tens of thousands of dollars, you would probably need a Nintendo liscense and contract, and you would need about 4 years of college work in programming and a team of nerds to help you out with producing software.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 11:07:58 AM by Strike »

Offline mikeccc987

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:09:31 AM »
When i say halo 1 rewrite i mean the project i am starting. Its not going to be a port of halo but its going to have the same maps (downsized) and weapons. So it will be like a code rewrite for the ds.

Offline Strike

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 07:43:02 AM »
In that case, it is very possible, but not with this kit. (Homebrew doesn't quite work yet). Also, it would be very difficult to program environments and physics along with all the other stuff for a 3 dimensional game. Your easiest option would be to find a game engine (one like Metroid's would rock, but you would have trouble finding an open source 3d engine for the ds). As for the maps, you can either completely remake the maps sector for sector, surface for surface, texture for texture, but that would be difficult; an easier option would be finding a way to convert a Halo map into a simple file format, as well as replacing textures with 32 bit ones and removing excess polygons in the terrain to comply with the DS's lower hardware specs. If you have the know-how and the right friends to do this, or no knowlege but a great imagination, I would try talking in dev forums and create an open source project. You have a great idea, but it would take a tremendous amount of dedication and work.