Author Topic: poll about the "same" entry in the compo  (Read 20151 times)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
poll about the "same" entry in the compo
« on: April 07, 2007, 12:19:31 PM »
we are think about to  add one more term in the next compo (Aug.20th 2007) :

exactly same app or game (even it's new version)  don't allow to enter NEO compo again?

how about this idea? i want to know your answer ::sm-22.gif::
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline MrShlee

Re: poll about the "same" entry in the compo
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »
if its a LARGE change.. I would allow it
but a new skin and updated libraries is not a new entry!

Offline Payk

• NDSDEV.DE
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 05:42:27 PM »
I voted "don't  allow".
Because i could just change all maps and reenter my game. Well it wouldn't get 1th again, but still would be unfair. But what would be if i would reuse that engine to make a multiplayer online game?
It would then be a new version of the engine, but a completly new game.

Maybe you could make a poll for each "old" entry that comes up next compo, to decide if it can enter or not. That's my opinion.

Offline Arialia

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:36:58 PM »
i voted allow but it must be real new version and for me if a program win a compo (1st place)  it couldn't participate to the next compo

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 10:35:59 PM »
I think if there's a MAJOR change, it should be allowed to enter a second time. But only if the new version is really different....

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
While I agree in theory that it should be okay to re-enter a game or app if major changes have been made, I think the fact is there's abound to be disagreements over what constitutes "major changes."  The coder may say, "No, there's major changes here, I worked for months improving the code," but someone else  might not think the changes are enough to be considered "major."  So it's better to simply not allow the same work to be entered twice.  This makes the contest more interesting anyway, it's always nice to see all new works entered than just the same things.

At the very least, entries that placed in the top three should not be accepted as re-entries.

Personally, I think it would be nice if only games or apps that have never before been released at all were allowed in the contest, but I guess that would probably limit the number of entries too much.

...word is bondage...

Offline lobo

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 11:57:22 AM »
Ye, it would be sweet to have fresh homebrew delivered to your doorstep at the next compo but that would most likely limit the amount of apps/games presented. I don't mind seeing the same entry if improvements are rather visible, more than a word of author that 'there is something in there..something new and improved".

It would also be very easy to distinguish what has been added/improved really. Here's the example~DukeDS came to this compo, Ok. What's missing is sfx/music and speed optimization so that's very obvious. Comes next  compo, these three things solved/improved/added~voila..the whole new entry. No reason not to include it for the compo. The same goes for apps, developers submit the changelog, neoflash mods compare it to the previous versions and hopefully test it out as well and if the change /improvement is there..no problem, enter 200 compos if you will and win all of them!

While we're at it..
 ::sm-09.gif::  <<ok, this is pigeon smoking weed, I'm telling you.

Offline hallo007

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:16:50 AM »
i voted against  , i am against it , so i dindt send a new update of flash agent ,thats just not fair
All good things come to an end

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 01:45:57 PM »
i think maybe we can accept the whole new version enter one more time again (just once again), but without the "original score", all original entries will get +1 "original score" at the final result?

Offline alekmaul

• portabledev.com Webmaster
    • PortableDev
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:44:51 PM »
No, Dr Neo, I don't think it is a good choice.
You must stop to accept entries a second time.
Only new entries are good for a compo. If a game/app seems to be not finished and we use it for the compo, it is our pb if we will have a bad score.

Offline mollusk

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
I voted against reentering with the same game/app, but I think in CERTAIN CASES it COULD EVENTUALLY be allowed... That is, if the homebrew was more or less in preview state (ie not finished) when it first entered, and has MAJOR changes in the new one...

But, all in all, we could just think that not allowing to reenter will prevent people from submitting unfinished stuff :)

Offline omg

• Banjo Advance Website
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 11:26:15 PM »
I think an APP or a GAME can continue Neocompo.
Why?
Because I want to finish my game and do a full playable version.
Neocompo is for me motivation to continue my game.
But if new functions aren't very important, Jury can refuse the game.

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 12:46:11 AM »
hum... maybe we can give more high "original score" to the original new project, like give it more +2 even +3 , then in this way we can keep to give the chance to the "old" entry to make a big improvement to let their entries to win, because even 1 score will affect the result.

In this way, the very promising project have chance to grow still for the second life, and compo have given more support to the "original" project try to enter compo. this way whould be a nice soluton,both for "original" and "old" project, it make the compo balancing ? ::sm-02::

Offline Arialia

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 04:43:20 AM »
Yes it's very difficult to choose because for a lot of programmers we'll thinking entry again for the next compo and maybe don't enter this time if we knew new rules ....

but if i have not enter for this compo i will agree with alekmaul and Mollusk ...

So i think your proposition is the best : giving "original project" score

and i add this : no permit reenter of the winners programs (1st) of last compo

Offline jester

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 11:51:47 PM »
I think no because Homebrew is about innovation and new fresh unseen ideas and perfection on those ideas.

Re-Adding the same program into a compo would just put off other ambitous and perhaps talented programmers from succeeding.

We wouldnt be able to see what the ds can really do