Author Topic: HtheB should not win  (Read 27015 times)

Offline Lick

HtheB should not win
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:47:56 PM »
HtheB is absolutely NOT the developer of the application he submitted to NeoCompo07. Beup was originally created by KevinC (akzeac.blogspot.com) and as far as I know, HtheB only did the following:
1) created a skin
2) recompiled with newer libfat for DLDI
3) changed a few connection parameters (IP addresses)

Of course HtheB has obviously made these improvements, however, they are merely 3% of what Beup is built of. Hell, anybody could recompile Beup changing  insignificant bits of information.

I am not trying to bash HtheB. He is a friendly person. But I do not support his indirect thievery. I hope the guys at NeoFlash will consider contacting KevinC and at least further inspect this case. A good start would be comparing the Beup 0.3e code with the Beup 0.3 code.

Like I said, it will probably be 97% the same. If it is, then it should be clear who really created HtheBs entry and who should get the Wii instead of him.
If not, my apologies to HtheB.

- Lick
P.S. See also MrShlees post
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:18:21 PM by Lick »

Offline Lick

Re: HtheB should not win
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »
Okay, this just does it for me. He asked M3 team to do a review  (mirror) of their new product, but he does not even have a DS to test the product with.
Either he's an idiot that doesn't know that a real review includes more than unwrapping the product, or he was just doing a false promise in order to get a new homebrew device.

I smell a filthy lying thief.

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:16:05 AM »
Unless you speak for kevinC, it sounds like you're just airing some kind of personal beef with HtheB.  I'm no forum moderator, but I think that in general on any forum, this kind of personal attack is not allowed.  And I know for a fact that in general in everyday life, it's childish and immature.

If you do speak for kevinC, he should come and say these things himself.  I assume he is aware that HtheB's versions of BeUP won the competition.

...word is bondage...

Offline Lick

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 03:59:55 PM »
Yes, at first I was only angered by his unjustly claiming "developership" of the Beup project, so I posted about it.
But the way he responded simply infuriated me more. I really can't stand people who lie and take advantage of others in order to receive personal benefits.
And if you read my explanation and that of others as well, you will see why I say this. It's just unbearable that as a developer someone else takes your work and shows off with it.
By the way, KevinC has been idle for a few months now. I've tried many ways to contact him but it seems as he hasn't been able to check his mail or PMs.

You should note: before I found out about the NeoCompo and his entering, I had totally no previous issues with HtheB. We even had some Private Messaging on GBAdev going on that can well be considered friendly. It's only after I found out that I kind of have something against him.

Also, the discussion is pretty much over as it's clear that HtheB indeed hasn't added much to Beup. At least not enough to claim ownership of the project and enter it in a compo.

Offline jester

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:42:41 PM »
Although i am a friend of HtheB i feel your pain i believe his prize should be revoked and that he is no longer allowed to enter this compo again.

Soz HtheB but he holds a valid point you didnt do alot at all really. :'(

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 04:34:20 AM »
I agree that HtheB shouldn't have won the competition, but we can decide whether he deserves his prize or what his relationship to the BeUP project should be without resorting to personal attacks.

As for scamming a free kit from the M3 people, I say congratulations to HtheB for that one.

...word is bondage...

Offline jester

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 04:44:52 AM »
hmm well i say ban his from every other neoflash compo left! That would be fair judgement

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 09:03:29 PM »
Considering he's not the original author of the program, presents no permission to use the work in any such fashion... and the simple fact
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,2978.0.html
It was in the last compo anyway... I think it is frigging ridiculous the guy wasn't laughed off the board and kicked from the compo to begin with
 ::sm-02::
I honestly don't think any skin is worth a wii... but I had my chance to have a say and really didn't have time to deal with this compo :-(

Just notice one other change... updating the wifi lib so dslite could use it probably wasn't an overly simple thing.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 09:09:02 PM by cory1492 »
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline d4rkb1t

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 05:15:19 AM »
envy = when one person wins a competition, the feeling that the others have

Nothing else to comment

d4rkb1t

PD: for Lick and the others... why are you talking now? Why did not talk before the results... ummm.. curious... well in any case... I post a definition before that you must read.

Offline Lick

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 07:12:34 AM »
d4rkb1t: You don't seem to be a programmer of any kind (I might be wrong though), so I can understand that you don't understand the hardship one goes through to get working code. Especially when one has to make an entire protocol (MSN) work on a limited device. You seriously have to put a lot of thinking and time into it. And when someone receives benefit off your hard work, you surely will feel screwed ten times over.
I don't think KevinC has any knowledge of this case yet, and I hope he never will because it's so backstabbing.

By the way, I wasn't following the NeoCompo at all until Alfatreze alerted me about the results. So I didn't pick "before" or "after", I just picked "right now".

Offline d4rkb1t

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 07:43:05 AM »
When someone (KevinC) give permisson for use the basic code for a other DIFFERENT PROJECT (this is BEUP LIVE, not only BEUP) then it can use all he wants the "hard work".

And no im not a nds coder, but I'm a simply coder and if I give permisson a other people tu use my code, they can use it for whatever they want.

d4rkb1t

Offline Lick

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 07:58:47 AM »
The problem is, it's the same app! It is the same basic-code, but updated to the newer libs! As a DS developer, I can tell you that it's like picking my nose to do that.
Also, please refer me to the page where kevinc said that. Just in case.

Offline Öhr GmbH

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 08:48:08 AM »
When someone (KevinC) give permisson for use the basic code for a other DIFFERENT PROJECT (this is BEUP LIVE, not only BEUP) then it can use all he wants the "hard work".

And no im not a nds coder, but I'm a simply coder and if I give permisson a other people tu use my code, they can use it for whatever they want.

d4rkb1t
you cant just put a new name over an other product and say its totaly done by me. its like - nintendo and sony. what nintendo creates, sony takes(not everything though, but some of the greatest improvements in gaming history, like the analogstick, the dpad and the rumblefunction). if you were nintendo and sony would do A LOT OF money off your ideas, wouldnt you be angry and sue them? well i would.

and heres the same thing: HtheB took an app(=product) and put a new name on it. And since kevinc was(and still is) off for a long time now we have to look closely, if HtheB deserves a wii(=money).

So heres a list what kevinc did:
- write the MSN protocol
- add some great features like "painting" an message
- lots of other things

And heres what HtheB did:
- add a skin
- update the fat library(DLDI support)
- update server adresses

thats around 3% of the whole code. so he only really deserves 3% of the wii - like a LED of it  ::sm-13.gif::

he definitely doesnt deserve the WII! not a bit. ::sm-16.gif::

he - lets say- "stole" someones work and made money(250$) with it. Im not tolerating thievery!

And heres why no one said anything BEFORE the compo - lots of you didnt know that beup wasn't actually done by htheb. the rest of us thought he wouldnt win (again) and we didnt want to fight with htheb if he wouldnt actually win. well, HE didnt, kevinc won.

@HtheB,
that's really enough. stealing someones work and getting 250$ for it. Buy yourself an C++ book and learn it! youre really an **************************************!

I hope Neo says something to this soon. ::sm-09.gif::
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 08:51:14 AM by Öhr GmbH »

Offline mastertop101

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »
Well, I agree with you, but it's too late, the prize has been sent most definitely and I think (hope) Dr.Neo won't ever accept beup from htheb again

Offline d4rkb1t

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 08:57:36 AM »
HtheB, as far as I know, sent an email or contacted with KevinC and ask him to do with his code the Beup Live.

I think that KevinC has the ultimate word, but since now, I believed in HtheB (and i will continue believing with HtheB, he is clever and a good person trust me). I don't know how many code will have got the htheb project like the KevinC project, but for me is a other different Project, and also for 94 persons (apart the most of judges) that voted it. If all of you don't want to see it... sorry.

By the way, there are the results, for the next time look for the "basics" codes application by application and then desqualify them, but in this case, I think that the worst that NeoFlash Team could do is give a other results.

For: Öhr GmbH

Oks, It's true, what nintendo creats, sony takes... but... by the way... what think people about nintendo? Most of people thinks that Nintendo is for "kids" (i don't think it, i think that nintendo is simply the best), luckly with wii it's changin jeje.

But, answering to your post.... Sony had been one of the best since now... so... what is the "winner"... Nintendo who created this cool thinks... or... Sony that do the perfect marketing, modified some thinks (the minimal things) and had been selling it for years?... and.... what has Nintendo done? NOTHING, because we all know that they create this cool things.

Here is the same, ok HtheB modified some things (as my point of view, the enough things for present his project here) but we all now that the basic code was done by KevinC.

By the way remember, KevinC win one day the first prize here in this compo, and he left the project. Now HtheB have won the first prize, and I'm replying other time, as far as I know KevinC gave permisson to HtheB to use his basic-code.

d4rkb1t

PD: Read it with a friendly tone eeeh!! It's only my sincere opinion n.n'.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:09:41 AM by d4rkb1t »