Author Topic: HtheB should not win  (Read 28517 times)

Offline Öhr GmbH

Re: HtheB should not win
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 09:01:48 AM »
Well, I agree with you, but it's too late, the prize has been sent most definitely and I think (hope) Dr.Neo won't ever accept beup from htheb again
if so, we should put this on some news sites, so everyone knows what htheb did and who he really is: a dumb cheap bastard!

@d4rkb1t,
i just wrote that nintendo and sony thingy for another example - not go offtopic with that :D

Offline cory1492

• Neo MOD
    • Cory1492's NDS + PSP corner
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 09:19:56 AM »
d4rkb1t: by your logic, if I take a famous song and change the name, for example "colors" to "colors live", put it onto CD instead of cassette tape, it all of a sudden becomes a different song and everyone should just happily clam up about it.

I could care less who won (though most deserve a congrats/thanks just for entering) as I didn't have the time to be a judge, but I do give a damn that something similar not happen again in the future; besides, as it stands the final judgment isn't open to discussion as it is now after the fact and exactly that, final.

I haven't looked at the Beup source to see if it has any "open"/public domain license or not, kevinc's 0.3b original source link no longer works and no one seems to have bothered to mirror it along with the beup final release - judging from the info I have been able to find Beup was contributed to somewhere along the way by htheb in the way of FAT compatibility fixes.

If it was under some type of GPL wrather than public domain, the fact that HtheB has not so much as even mentioned the original author on his blog or in the compo (misrepresented the base work), or released the source mods, would not only be wrong but illegal. Using illegal means to receive profit by others work is considered fraud.

Without seeing the original source I have no way of knowing what kevinc's intentions were when releasing it, he only mentions "for all the recompilers out there" on the blog, which to me implies he released to stop having to do updates for xx flashcart that he didn't own.

The only point I really have to make is this: does anyone really want to bother to work hard to make quality entries to enter a compo where fraud or misrepresentation is essentially rewarded?
Those who have come here to hate should leave now, for in their hatred they only betray themselves.
translated from The Book of Life (Src: Sword of Truth - Phantom by Terry Goodkind)

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »
It says on HtheB's site:

Credits:

HtheB
&
kevinC

In Beup it says (c)2007 HtheB & Antonio Zea

He has never said that it's entirely his own work.  I downloaded the original source long ago and it includes GPL v2 license.  That means anyone can legally sell the app but they do have to provide the source code and follow the other GPL terms.

Offline d4rkb1t

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 05:05:11 PM »
It says on HtheB's site:

Credits:

HtheB
&
kevinC

He has never said that it's entirely his own work.  I downloaded the original source long ago and it includes GPL v2 license.  That means anyone can legally sell the app but they do have to provide the source code and follow the other GPL terms.

+1

No more to comment...

For: Öhr GmbH

What do you think that you are for name to htheb "dumb" and "bastard"? Please, read the definition that I wrotte in the first post here in this topic, I think that I can apply perfectly to you.

By the way, I know that you put Sony and Nintendo as an example, and I continue it for one reason: who have been send more hardware in this years? Sony... but.... why? if they didn't do anything "only copies" the others? Because they KNOW how use this cool things and know whatever the people wants and give them it. This is the "filosophy" of sony... so.... extrapolating this HtheB didn't do nothing bad, they only modified Beup, converts it to Beup Live and give the people whatever they want whith the updates, and have presented to a competition that he has won and some people don't want to see that and they are for example insulting without reason this coder. Sincerely... im ashamed.

d4rkb1t
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:22:43 PM by d4rkb1t »

Offline Öhr GmbH

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 05:38:28 PM »
It says on HtheB's site:

Credits:

HtheB
&
kevinC

+1

No more to comment...

For: Öhr GmbH

What do you think that you are for name to htheb "dumb" and "bastard"? Please, read the definition that I wrotte in the first post here in this topic, I think that I can apply perfectly to you.

By the way, I know that you put Sony and Nintendo as an example, and I continue it for one reason: who have been send more hardware in this years? Sony... but.... why? if they didn't do anything "only copies" the others? Because they KNOW how use this cool things and know whatever the people wants and give them it. This is the "filosophy" of sony... so.... extrapolating this HtheB didn't do nothing bad, they only modified Beup, converts it to Beup Live and give the people whatever they want whith the updates, and have presented to a competition that he has won and some people don't want to see that and they are for example insulting without reason this coder. Sincerely... im ashamed.

d4rkb1t
he is NOT a coder. i also call him whatever i want. he frustrated me by stealing someones work and make money out of it. hes soooo cheap. i really hate him for this.
and i guess, Antonio Zea did 99% of hthebs 3% work!

Offline GizmoTheGreen

• GizmoTheGreens Homepage
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 08:10:38 PM »
 ::sm-16.gif::

Why do this to HtheB!?!?!?!
im a friend of his, a distant friend, ive chatted with him on msn since last fall...
He has helped me alot, he even gave me a Neo2 SD as a gift, and i sent him my old DS phat, thats right, it was broke, and the parts fixed his, for like 10 mins...
but trust me, ha does have a DS, not that entirely his, he borrows from his friend :)

oh, btw, ive just gotten in to porgramming, im not the same level as HtheB or anyone else, it has taken me a month to make a friggin menu! using PAlib!

oh, yeah, to the point, ive been testing HtheB's new buep, trust me, its not just slapping another lib on there, thats couses hundreds of compile errors!!

hes spen weeks just fixing those, and then he sent to me for testing, as his friends DS was unavailable, guess waht? working? no no..
hanged at startup, he has, been bugsearching trough alot of code, that not originaly his, yeah i know, i also know that KevinC has handed over the work to continue development on Beup instead of him.

HtheB has been messing in KevinC original code alot, making small changes everywhere!

he knows it as well as his own pocket by now, i asked him the day before, if my translated STRINGS file would still work with his new ver, and i had forgotten where to put it, i swear it ttok him less than a minute to send me the code where the loading of the STRINGS file was, and it still works!

so my Swedish transation is still usefull :)

HtheB is my hero, and nothing can change it  :D

EDIT: not to mention he changed from an earlier rev of DevkitPro to the new r20...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 08:14:19 PM by GizmoTheGreen »
Starter of HentaiDs project, atm known as TrueLoveDS
http://gizmothegreen.byethost13.com
http://gizmothegreen.byethost13.com/nds

Offline lupidan

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 10:55:09 PM »
I smell a filthy lying thief.

HtheB has permission to use kevinC work
HtheB gives credit to kevinC (aka Antonio Zea) in both, website and beup live.

It really looks like you want to give him reputation of code stealer when he is NOT a thief.

By the same way, let's say you use libnds to create a wonderful game. You win a competition and get 250$. By the same reason you are using other people work (libnds), so you can't have the prize!!

Then you add a new dificulty level, another compo shows up. They have no restriction about entering a modified project that entered a few months ago, so what would you do?(be sincere)
I would enter my game again, and see if I could win another prize, you wouldn't?

Please, stop discrediting HtheB

Offline jester

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 12:28:17 AM »
Well HtheB's Prize the Wii has not been sent and it has been difficult to contact KevinC so what should be done? Should the Wii be held till the summer compo and HtheB unable to reclaim it?

Offline Lick

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 01:05:23 AM »
Sektor: if Beup was licensed under GPL, that means that HtheB HAS TO release the code of his application. He did not; not even when I asked him to in order to compare with the original source,which I suspect will be 97% the same as KevinC's original version.
Also, please share the original source release by KevinC, thanks.

lupidan: I'm sorry but you don't know anything about licenses or programming principles: libnds is a library open for programmers and NOT an end-user application.
A better comparision would be someone releasing libnds_extreme which he claims to have written himself but is 97% the same as libnds.

Gizmo: in programming, those stuff HtheB did are really really trust me, worth nothing. Even if it's worth something, IT DOES NOT MAKE HIM THE DEVELOPER. He can't claim Beup as his own project.

d4rkb1t: it's not jealousy. It's justice. Programmers taken advantage of, that's what's dead wrong. It's not like I get any benefit from discrediting HtheB, the opposite, I get called a bitch and a whiner. But I don't mind those namecallings, as long as the truth is known.

Also, HtheB being friendly isn't enough to disprove our assumptions of his crime. He needs better proof than that. Source code would be a good start.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:07:01 AM by Lick »

Offline GizmoTheGreen

• GizmoTheGreens Homepage
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 02:10:50 AM »
@Lick: I think youre the one not getting it, im saying the source looks almost nothing as kevinC latest source of beup, becouse kevinC has discontinued it and passed the torch to HtheB wich further made it into Live!
if you would do a diff file for the entire project, it wouldnt be only a 3% change, more like 30, becouse of all the small changes EVERYWHERE, it not like 20 lines of change in one single file, but not one single file is UNTOUCHED, get my point?

Also kevinC knew HtheB was entering, and, with what he was entering, if he thought it was not okay, dont you think he wouldve stated it earlier?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:30:52 AM by GizmoTheGreen »
Starter of HentaiDs project, atm known as TrueLoveDS
http://gizmothegreen.byethost13.com
http://gizmothegreen.byethost13.com/nds

Offline Lick

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 02:42:42 AM »
If the two things you claim are true, then I can shut the **** up.

But..
Why do this to HtheB!?!?!?!
im a friend of his, a distant friend, ive chatted with him on msn since last fall...
I have my doubts.

Please show me HtheB's source and let ME compare it with the original. I will also be able to tell whether the fixes are enough to enable HtheB to call Beup his own project. So in short: don't tell me, show me. (His code should be public anyway, see GPL.)

Also, from who did you hear kevinc knew HtheB was entering? Where did you read that information?
As far as I know, kevinc hasn't been active since last year.

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 03:48:08 AM »
*sigh*

we can decide whether he deserves his prize or what his relationship to the BeUP project should be without resorting to personal attacks.
Apparently I was wrong.

Simmer down now, children.

...word is bondage...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:53:25 AM by Sweater Fish Deluxe »

Offline Lick

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 04:00:36 AM »
*sigh*

we can decide whether he deserves his prize or what his relationship to the BeUP project should be without resorting to personal attacks.
Apparently I was wrong.

Simmer down now, children.

Uhm? In my recent replies, I have responded very sophisticated in my opinion. I reduced namecalling and attacking as much as possible too. In fact, I don't see any, reading back.

I don't think your comment really adds to this discussion though. It's more like "We have no answer but let's stop the discussion", which I find a rather not-satisfying conclusion.

Offline lupidan

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 04:28:13 AM »
Calm down Lick, you are still saying HtheB is claiming he made the entire Beup Live when he does not, he gives credit kevinC in website and app.

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 04:43:30 AM »
I wasn't referring just to you, Lick, but to everyone posting nonsense in this pointless topic you started.  You may have reduced the "attack" content in your own posts, but they're just as "personal" as ever and that's not called for, either, and the only point to them seems to be to inflame the discussion.

I already added my opinion to this discussion a long time ago in the final results announcement topic.  As did most other people who followed the competition.  I think the consensus was that it would not be a good idea to change the results at this point and that instead we should discuss how best to change the entry rules and/or scoring for the future contests to avoid situations like this again.

I don't think you or I or anyone else here really has anything of value to add to this discussion at this point.  kevinC is the only person who should still be heard from and it's obvious that no one in this topic speaks for him, so there's no justifiable point to this topic at all.

...word is bondage...