Author Topic: HtheB should not win  (Read 28518 times)

Offline Lick

Re: HtheB should not win
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 04:58:11 AM »
Lupidan: the very fact that he entered Beup into a contest as his own says enough about his credit towards kevinc. By entering it into a contest he claims he's the main developer of it, while his work has only made him a maintainer.

Sweather Fish Deluxe: I agree with you that this discussion has rather turned into a repetitive blame-game. But as you said yourself, it has become clear (through this very topic) that kevinc's absense is barring any further development in this case.
There is another valid road to take though: comparing the sources. As Sektor said, the original is licensed GPL, so it's only natural that HtheB has to release his sources. When he does this, we'll be able to compare it with the original and conclude whether the entry should be disqualified or points should be taken away. More than half of the voters probably mistaken HtheB to be either the only or the main developer of Beup, which is something important to consider.

Offline kevinc

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 06:46:54 AM »
Hi, people. I'm the creator of the original beup.

This post pertains only the source code of the program. I am aware about HtheB giving technical support and troubleshooting advise, which may have influenced the votes. I'm not here to speak about that.

HtheB has given me the source of Beup Live, and I have reviewed the differences.

The changes amount to about 15 lines of code in 2 files, which are:
- A new option for auto-connect (about 5 lines)
- Modifications for the new FAT lib (about 10 lines)
Please notice beup has about 9800 lines. So I'm afraid I can't say beup live is a considerable difference code-wise.

If you ask my personal opinion, I didn't like the fact that beup was allowed in the competition again, and even worse, that the judges let it win. However, it's not my contest o_o

I'm sorry that I haven't paid attention to this topic (or have read the PMs, for which I apologize), I'll be back tomorrow to keep reading.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:50:12 AM by kevinc »

Offline Neil

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »
Wow, this is a disgrace and HtheB should be thoroughly ashamed of himself.  I hope the prize is taken from him and given to the person who actually did all the work. 

Good luck, kevinc.

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 02:07:54 PM »
http://gtamp.com/DS/beup.tar.bz2 (original source code).  Getting it compiled and working with r20 would take some time and effort, especially if it's the first time you've done something like that.  Someone has to keep projects up to date and those efforts, although not as good as creating something from scratch, should still be appreciated.

If you don't want someone to be able to profit from your work, don't release something under a license that allows it.  Of course just because something is allowed by law, doesn't mean this competition has to allow it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:37:54 PM by Sektor »

Offline kevinc

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 03:43:07 PM »
If you don't want someone to be able to profit from your work, don't release something under a license that allows it.  Of course just because something is allowed by law, doesn't mean this competition has to allow it.

I never said I didn't want people to profit from my work. The GPL allows it, and I chose the GPL intentionally. In other words: I don't like it, but you're allowed to.

Please don't bash HtheB for me. He did a good job supporting the program. While I disagree with the fact that he participated in the contest, I still think he has done a good job keeping beup alive. Please don't turn this into a flamewar.

As to whether he deserves the first prize, it's not up to me to decide. This is a community contest, let the community decide.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:11:33 PM by kevinc »

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 04:36:20 PM »
Can you release the source to the current version?  Actually we should we give HtheB a chance to release it himself.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:39:09 PM by Sektor »

Offline jester

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 04:53:20 PM »
Well i think that HtheB should just be given the Wii but he shouldnt be allowed to enter this compo with any of his coding efforts or Beup again!

That is fair as it allows for more users to feel confident about entering and freedom!

If you fellow coders disagree with what was just said then a poll at GBAdev forums for the right for the Wii should be posted lasting 2 days as that would also be fair! :)

Offline TheFish

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
I'm sorry that I haven't paid attention to this topic (or have read the PMs, for which I apologize), I'll be back tomorrow to keep reading.

KevinC - Beup is a great program, so all our thanks for it

Are you still planning 0.4 as mentioned in your blog last October, or would you be able to add a fix to the current version of 0.3 for the 'SSL Connection Failed' errors we are all getting since Microsoft changed something with the servers a couple of days ago?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:55:53 PM by TheFish »

Offline Öhr GmbH

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 07:56:05 PM »
the answer, finally :D

well, since kevinc is the main/real developer of beup, he should decide, if htheb should get the wii or not, or decide to a lower prize or something like this. though, im pretty sure what kevincs answer will be :)

also, this app should have been banned from the compo from the beginning on.

he still should be allowed to take part in the coming neo compos, but not with apps, continued by himself or something like this - only his very own apps, noone elses!

and also, if htheb gets the wii, the second winner should also have the right to get a wii.

thats what i think

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 08:20:19 PM »
There were only 7 entries in the PSP APP section.  That means there are technically 3 spare prizes.  Neoflash could distribute them or just save some money :)

Offline Öhr GmbH

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 09:17:24 PM »
There were only 7 entries in the PSP APP section.  That means there are technically 3 spare prizes.  Neoflash could distribute them or just save some money :)
na thats unfair to those who did psp apps ^-^

Offline GizmoTheGreen

• GizmoTheGreens Homepage
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »
hmm, ok, seems i was somehow wrong about how much he changed, but still, the judges placed him 1st, result anounced, give hiom the Wii...

yes he should probably be unallowed to enter with "picked up" projects again, like beup, nut if he does his own app, i think its okay :)

if he gets the Wii, i will participate in a compo too \o/

dont know when though, porbably next year...

if he doesnt, i wont participate on neoflash compo ever...

sure, he maybe didnt deserve a Wii because of beup live, but he has done so much more, helping ppl out, i think he deserves one ^^
Starter of HentaiDs project, atm known as TrueLoveDS
http://gizmothegreen.byethost13.com
http://gizmothegreen.byethost13.com/nds

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2007, 10:50:33 PM »
No HentaiDS!!! Oh no, great loss.  Seriously, no one cares if you enter or not.

Why?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 10:52:25 PM by Sektor »

Offline Öhr GmbH

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 10:52:46 PM »
well, if it becomes a game like all those japanese love games, it might become interesting,
but a stri.... errr photoshow shouldnt be posted as a project  ::sm-29.gif::

EDIT:
No HentaiDS!!! Oh no, great loss.  Seriously, no one cares if you enter or not.

Why?
think about it. youre taking part in a compo, believing that youll win something(you always win something, even at the last place, though), you did the last place but youre still happy to see that youre still getting something. if this would be also taken away, wouldnt you be angry? you did the whole work, trying to win something and then you get nothing else than a kick from neo?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:27:01 PM by Öhr GmbH »

Offline Lick

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 12:04:19 AM »
The case is closed. Just let Dr Neo decide what's going to happen now.