Author Topic: do you agree HtheB can win the WII for No.1?  (Read 21930 times)

Offline rudamen

Re: do you agree HtheB can win the WII for No.1?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 09:21:22 PM »
Guys you really don't get it do you, without HtheB, beup wouldn't be usable anymore, Microsoft changes the MSN protocol quite a lot, and everytime that happens HtheB has to change Beup, since KevinC has stopped making beup HtheB is the only one who knows how to update it....

HtheB even was updating the program while his DS was broken. He gave you a service, and now you, the users of beup, backstabb him like that....
 >:(

I agree. There in no more to say. HtheB has won this prize with many hours of work, all them for you, for the users of this application...

Offline Lick

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 09:36:21 PM »
It seems that you haven't read the discussion at all?

It has been proven that HtheB's work is not even remotely enough for him to enter Beup as his own project, because he has only MAINTAINED it. There's a vast difference between maintaining (updating vital parts of the code) and developing the code. It's like replacing parts of a car-engine, compared to building a car-engine from scratch.
The point is now whether he spent effort on Beup or not, we are all sure he did. It's the question, did he add enough code to Beup himself to enter this coding compo as the projects developer?

If you have no programming experience, please do not form your opinion so lightly. Please read the linked topics before casting your vote.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:38:31 PM by Lick »

Offline Brunni

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 11:30:23 PM »
Guys you really don't get it do you, without HtheB, beup wouldn't be usable anymore, Microsoft changes the MSN protocol quite a lot, and everytime that happens HtheB has to change Beup, since KevinC has stopped making beup HtheB is the only one who knows how to update it....

HtheB even was updating the program while his DS was broken. He gave you a service, and now you, the users of beup, backstabb him like that....
 >:(

This is not about backstabb him, we all appreciate his work and what he did. The poll is just asking "does this merit the first prize" compared to the work that has gone in other apps as well (and especially because they all began from zero and didn't present the program the last compo).

And as said the goal of a coding compo is not judging about personal kindness. I don't know HtheB and I sure think he's very kind but maybe others are as well. It's impossible to judge.
(Btw most of the coders here have already done a lot for the community, like Mollusk for example - and he has not finished 1st -, this is not an excuse).

As Beup got 1st, I would say: do it like the project was made by 2 authors (some other entries were done by 2 or more people as well, like Payk's game). Beup has won, so now it's up to HtheB and kevinc (and other Beup contributors) to decide what to do with the prize. ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:36:56 PM by Brunni »

Offline jester

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 11:34:21 PM »
Whether it merits first place or not the game SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN ENTERED! But it was so we need to vote no so people now will know that entering in this fashion is wrong.

Also it was his app originally so he shouldnt be trying to take all the credit as this is wrong from his also so if you know what is right vote NO

Offline retrohead

• DS-Scene
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 12:11:59 AM »
I said yes, he does deserve it. If there was a problem with the entry NeoFlash should have said so, full stop. It is not Licks or anyone elses decision to make other than NeoFlash.

He doesn't deserve it really but it is NeoFlash's fault for letting the application hit the voting stages when it quite clearly should have been rejected. I see re-releases at nearly every competition and quite frankly am getting fed up with it.

I suggest you coders take your coding skills elsewhere if you are so pissed off with the outcome of this. The competition is at fault and not HtheB, he was probably trying it on by entering it sure but again it SHOULD have been rejected. I mean we're even voting on it again now, this is madness to the extreme.

Make a decision, stick by it and respect your own decision, this looks very bad on this compo imho.

Sorry Neo, you messed up  :(

Offline Rogirozz

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 12:38:04 AM »
Just be happy that HtheB is giving about BeUp. Kevinc was dead on the work of BeUp. Without HtheB we don't even can run BeUp without bugs. And even if there's nothing changed. I can know that he coded the picture system. And he changed things so I can run it with my router. So if you complain it's your fault. He deserve it.

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 01:17:17 AM »
HtheB didnt just recompile a project, he has been active in the nds scene for a long time, helping ppl out, whenever thay have problems, running beup, DSO, whatev, everything from how dldi works, to what a flashcart is, he helps ppl when they need it. ::sm-10.gif::
This was a coding competition, though, not a nice guy competition.  I'm all for nice guy competitions, but in this case HtheB must be judged only on his programming work for BeUP, nothing else.

From the facts, I doubt HtheB can code an MP3 player or a voice chat feature. I think he's just being a little too optimistic about his skills, so don't believe him so easily.
I'm curious...which of the facts exactly lead you to deduce that?

It seems like there's some question about how much HtheB has added to BeUP.  Did he really add the picture sending system as Rogirozz just said?  I don't use BeUP or know much anything about it, so I don't know.  But it doesn't seem like he could add a thing like that as well as the DLDI changes and other things all in just 15 lines of code.  Is it possible that the version kevinc saw was an earlier version.  I just looked at the BeUP Live entry thread and HtheB updated the project twice even after making his original entry.

...word is bondage...

Offline rudamen

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 01:32:13 AM »
It seems that you haven't read the discussion at all?

It has been proven that HtheB's work is not even remotely enough for him to enter Beup as his own project, because he has only MAINTAINED it. There's a vast difference between maintaining (updating vital parts of the code) and developing the code. It's like replacing parts of a car-engine, compared to building a car-engine from scratch.
The point is now whether he spent effort on Beup or not, we are all sure he did. It's the question, did he add enough code to Beup himself to enter this coding compo as the projects developer?

If you have no programming experience, please do not form your opinion so lightly. Please read the linked topics before casting your vote.

Well... You think that I've got no idea... You think that HtheB didn't make a good effort to bring us the actual version of Beup... You think that the code is very similar to the original...

Is really this the  question?
Why did you let him to enter at Compo with Beup?
You should redact the rules before Compo begun... NOT NOW!

Compo has died... Many of you don't respect the votations of many people and you are triying to change the results...

It's very sad...

Offline julien416

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 02:07:01 AM »
Some people seem to be missing the whole point. Everyone is very thankful to Htheb for maintening the code. However, as Kevinc who wrote 99,8% of the code stated, it would have been wise to tell about the nature of the changes made to the code.

I am sorry but 15 lines of code isn't enough to claim an app as your own. Period. If the Wii is to be sent, then send it to the personn responsible for it.

Now that beup isn't even usable anymore (ssl connect failed anyone ?) i can see where you're all followers coming, trying to buy the maintenance of beup. Well i can tell you that if the maintenance is only changing the server adress and add a new skin, i am pretty sure a lot of coders will be glad to do it... And for free, for the sole purpose of using this cool app developped by KevinC.

Offline loldrama

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 02:08:21 AM »
What's up with all the non-programmers feeling like they have to throw in their uninformed opinion?

Offline jester

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 02:25:42 AM »
Just to let you guys no that IF HtheB is given the Wii will he continue with Beup? Probably not!

Its all you decision give a Wii to someone that did 0.163% of work on an app OR vote NO and stop this unfairness from entering this Neoflash compo again!

Offline ced

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 02:46:09 AM »
Wow, lots of "0 post guys" are browsing this thread... as intersting as the surprising rise of "yes" voters...

Wish this poll could be unanonymous...  ::sm-10.gif::
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 02:48:50 AM by ced »

Offline d-loader

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 03:12:27 AM »
Wow, lots of "0 post guys" are browsing this thread... as intersting as the surprising rise of "yes" voters...

Wish this poll could be unanonymous...  ::sm-10.gif::

Good point, the "sure" raised incredibly these last few hours.. its very suspicious ^-^

Personally, I didn't know that it was only 15 lines of code. While he might have been supportive towards the community, it wouldn't count in this contest. Its all about coding, hence the name, and therefore I find it quite disrespectfull towards the other coders  :-\

Offline mastertop101

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 03:27:41 AM »
Yeah, that's not normal, the Yes went from 20% to more than 50%.. I honestly beleive many people will boycott neoflash compos if Htheb gets his prize.

Offline JAGAero

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 03:31:32 AM »
There are so many doubts about this question...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 03:40:37 AM by JAGAero »