Author Topic: do you agree HtheB can win the WII for No.1?  (Read 24724 times)

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
do you agree HtheB can win the WII for No.1?
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:29:03 AM »
hi,i think we should make a open poll with HtheB case indeed ...

I never said I didn't want people to profit from my work. The GPL allows it, and I chose the GPL intentionally. In other words: I don't like it, but you're allowed to.

Please don't bash HtheB for me. He did a good job supporting the program. While I disagree with the fact that he participated in the contest, I still think he has done a good job keeping beup alive. Please don't turn this into a flamewar.

As to whether he deserves the first prize, it's not up to me to decide. This is a community contest, let the community decide.

original link: http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,4121.30.html

just give out your vote now.  ::sm-22.gif::
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline Lick

Re: do you agree HtheB can win the WII for No.1?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 02:48:20 AM »
To everyone who did not follow the discussion, please read the above linked threads before casting your votes. There has been more going on than "the results say yes, so yes".

By the way, I think this poll is meaningless, since as any other online poll, it can be manipulated endlessly (friends, multiple accounts et cetera..).
Maybe you should rename the topic "Should HtheB win a Wii for changing 15 lines of code?"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 02:51:25 AM by Lick »

Offline Neil

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 03:05:27 AM »
Look also at the way HtheB lists himself above kevinc in the credit section of his site!  It's disgraceful, you should always ALWAYS give credit where it's due.  Don't let this cheater prosper, it will surely lead to similar occurrences in future competitions, and may also make coders very reluctant to release their source code - which means the entire community suffers.

Offline jester

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:09:49 AM »
 ::sm-22.gif:: i have voted HAVE YOU? well its clear the answer should be no and expulsion from Neoflash compo's forever!
 BUT i also feel this should NOT tarnish the invicible record of this prestigous compo!

Lessons need to be learned however
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:55:16 AM by jester »

Offline Sweater Fish Deluxe

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 03:31:43 AM »
I originially thought it would be best to give him the prize since the announcements had already been made, but I think that if he really only changed such a small amount of kevinC's code, then it is not fair to the other entries which all required more work if HtheB gets first prize for essentially just recompiling someone else's code.

I don't think this makes HtheB a bad guy.  I can understand why he entered his version of BeUP inthe contest.  When I saw that there were only 10 entries in the NDS Apps division, I considered throwing together a simple DLDI MOD player with a GUI as an entry since it would have been guaranteed to win a prize.  This is probably what HtheB was thinking, too.  I doubt he expected to get first place.

If all the questions about his entry that people have brought up after the results were announced had been asked before, there would have been no problem.

I think in the future contests, the judges will have to be more careful and consider these kinds of issues as well as simply rating the game or app on its own merits.

...word is bondage...

Offline mastertop101

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 04:42:38 AM »
Ahh! Thank you Dr Neo for doing this.. It proves us there won't be too much bull**** in future contests..

Keep Rocking Dr. !  :P

AND VOTE NO!

Offline Link_of_Hyrule

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 06:23:26 AM »
HtheB has done a great job supporting this application and trying to keep it up to date and working even if the code is as little as kevinc says it is HtheB still deserves the prizes since he already won anyways its stupid to even vote on this HtheB maybe could give kevinc more credit yes but at the rate you people are going HtheB will stop developing further and you will be stuck with a none working beup when microsoft changes the protocol again also HtheB has alot of new features planned for beup that could greatly improve it such as add/remove/block built in mp3 player and he said maybe even voice chat eventualy but this depends on weather the homebrew community supports him or not

thats is all please vote how you choose

Offline Lick

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 06:38:04 AM »
From the facts, I doubt HtheB can code an MP3 player or a voice chat feature. I think he's just being a little too optimistic about his skills, so don't believe him so easily.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:41:26 AM by Lick »

Offline Link_of_Hyrule

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »
beleave what you must but only time will tell

Offline spinal

• Coder of DSision
  • Neo MOD
    • spinalcode
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 03:28:22 PM »
15 lines of code eh! I dont think that can ever merit getting a Wii. If I wrote only 15 lines of code and entered it in a compo, I doubt it get above LAST place. ::sm-16.gif::

For the next competition, I will enter MarioKart hacked with my name in it on the title screen. That should get me first prize.

Offline GizmoTheGreen

• GizmoTheGreens Homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 04:00:34 PM »
HtheB didnt just recompile a project, he has been active in the nds scene for a long time, helping ppl out, whenever thay have problems, running beup, DSO, whatev, everything from how dldi works, to what a flashcart is, he helps ppl when they need it. ::sm-10.gif::

he has also helped me alot with coding  ::sm-22.gif::

so, a Wii for 12 - 20 lines of code? No.... :-\
but for that 12 - 20 lines of code and hella lot of bugsearching to get it to work, and helping ppl in the community for a very long time? hell yes! >:D

VOTE YES!
I did, and im proud  :D
Starter of HentaiDs project, atm known as TrueLoveDS
http://gizmothegreen.byethost13.com
http://gizmothegreen.byethost13.com/nds

Offline d4rkb1t

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 04:55:30 PM »
Please read it with a friendly tone (because it could seem with a offensive tone, and it isn't)

Who has visited the HtheB 's project page?. He not only update the beup to Beup Live, he has helped with more projects and a lot of coders.

For lick:

"From the facts, I doubt HtheB can code an MP3 player.... I think he's just being a little too optimistic about his skills".... I saw this, but not in HtheB.... i'm just remembering...: "I would really want to know how you managed to get the sound right (without clicking). I tried many different solutions before I finally gave up. "....  ::sm-13.gif::

I know that it isn't easy to code, but when a project is left with some bugs (and as far as I know and as far as I read in forums, BEUP had many bugs), and you improve it... for me it was a change. I don't know which this bugs were and don't know how many bugs there were and how difficult was to fix them (It only is known by HtheB). If there are enough changes and enough fix, as i said for me there is a change not only in the name, it has changed the project too.... if you don't see that... you are putting the genius of Lucas (i'm sure that you know him) in the same place: in fact, the only that have changed in LMP-ng (your project and your, sincerely, BRILLIANT idea) is that the songs, sounds better and supports many formats..... and.... I think that it didn't was only that with the first update made by lucas, for example LMP-ng was more stable (now LMP-ng has a lot of more changes, and for me is a other different project than the first LMP, or IpoDS as you said at the beginning of the aplicattion)

Btw.. what are treating this compo? the "beautiful", or the "final aspect" of the project, or the complexity of the code? (as all we know, not always is the same). Because if this compo are treating the interface of the applicattion, you are rightness... but... in the other way... you are "insulting" all these coders that are doing emulators, or are porting games because in fact, the "final aspect" is the same that the "original" emulator/game... and all we know that behind this "final aspect" are... hours and hours of work.

d4rkb1t

PD: I REPEAT..... these arguments are only if BEUP had a lot of bugs and HtheB have fix it one by one, and as I said before, it only is known by HtheB. I'll talk with him friday at nigh (I have exams now in the university and... well... I must to study n.n'). I also repeat that please read it with a friendly tone

Offline Lick

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 05:46:35 PM »
Link_of_hyrule: I just don't want people to blame me that Beup won't play MP3s because HtheB doesn't want to continue his work. Currently, it does not seem like HtheB has those skills. So please think about that first.

Gizmo, do you even know how many programmers help other people as well? Just visit the GBADev forum, visit #dsdev at irc.blitzed.org! This compo was never about personal kindness, it was about coding. That, he did not do much (~15 lines).

d4rkb1t: LMP-ng is a complete rewrite, done well. I have looked at his code (he releases the code Open Source, unlike HtheB) and I can conclude that he probably only reused 5% of the code, so he recoded most of it. I would not have any objections if he entered with LMP-ng. Lucas has worked very hard on it, and he has the evidence to prove so.

Offline OSW

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 06:56:48 PM »
I really don't want this to discourage HtheB from any future involvement in the NDS community, and it's no thing personal, but i wish for justice.

Personally i think maybe HtheB should recieve an alternate prize of lesser value as it appears he put "Some" (don't need to debate this please) effort into beup, and the wii be kept for another contest or something, But since i am not one able to validate this option, i entered no in the poll.

Oh, and LMP-ng is a brilliant app, i use it almost everyday! more convenient for music than moonshell.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 07:00:57 PM by OSW »

Offline Timo710

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 09:05:43 PM »
Guys you really don't get it do you, without HtheB, beup wouldn't be usable anymore, Microsoft changes the MSN protocol quite a lot, and everytime that happens HtheB has to change Beup, since KevinC has stopped making beup HtheB is the only one who knows how to update it....

HtheB even was updating the program while his DS was broken. He gave you a service, and now you, the users of beup, backstabb him like that....
 >:(