Author Topic: ChessNET - Online Chess Game (Release 1)  (Read 30016 times)

Offline CYBER_Aeon

ChessNET - Online Chess Game (Release 1)
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:59:54 PM »
Nickname: CYBER_Aeon
Project name : ChessNET
Division : NDS Game
Original enter : YES
Support Motion : NO
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10 : NO
Project description:

The first homebrew chess game for the DS to feature online play! (And, surprisingly enough, more than one player. >.>) 

CHESSNET REQUIRES FAT SUPPORT TO PLAY ONLINE OR SAVE LOCAL GAMES.

MAKE SURE TO CONFIGURE WFC DATA TO GET ONLINE PLAY WORKING.

Due to an extreme shortage of development time - (40 hours of work and college finals) - Release 1 was forced to cut a lot of corners. Some of the less important menus are missing (About, Options) and the Online menus look pretty terrible. HOWEVER, Everything should be working!

ChessNET writes all of it's game data to _ChessNET.sav on your cards root. On it's first connection to the server (if you decide to play online) it will request and store a unique ID for your DS. If you delete _ChessNET.sav, you will essentially lose your account. Make sure to keep a copy if you plan on trashing the file.

ChessNET is designed in play-by-mail style. So instead of real-time online games, there's a long time for players to make their moves. Days, even. This allows for players to make well formulated and studied moves. In addition, you don't have to wait on the one game. ChessNET supports up to 128 online games at once. (Since none of the data is recorded to the DS, but instead to an online server)

For local play, two players may share a DS to play a hotseat game of chess. Multiple game slots allow for up to 10 games to be saved at once, and the DS will automatically save after every move - In case of power loss or other trouble. 

You may play using the D-pad and buttons or by using the stylus. I've found from play testing that if your opponent has his or her own stylus handy, it's a nice way to play - You just have to slide the DS back and forth.

Future features will include an interactive move history (Using the R/L shoulder buttons or stylus buttons to easily navigate the replay), online messaging and buddy lists, account handles (instead of the hidious account codes) and much more. Please let me know what features you would like to see in future versions too. If this project retains enough attention, I'll continue to work on it and create a full-fledged online chess game for the Nintendo DS.

I'm already logged in, and every user that fires it up on their card and signs online will increase the player base. So come join me for a game of chess. 
8)

Be patient when playing online. Once you request a game with another user, a game will be created automatically. For now, the game requester is always the second player. So once you request a game, wait a while and check back, to see if moves have been made. Games awaiting moves will be displayed in green text on the game screen. In the future there will likely be support for email alerts from the server. (Which could easily be setup as cellphone text alerts too)
 ::sm-21.gif::

[ MIRROR |  http://www.armoredtactics.com/projects/chessnet/ChessNET_R1.zip ]

~ Brian

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:46:35 AM by CYBER_Aeon »

Offline Cid2Mizard

• cid2mizard.dev-fr.org
Re: ChessNET - Online Chess Game (Release 1)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:12:29 PM »
Good i like a chess game  8)
www.nintendomax.com 100% Hack - 0% Warez

Offline omg

• Banjo Advance Website
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
I like too!

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 06:51:21 AM »
For those of you trying it out online (I've noticed two new people have joined the server so far) make sure to check back later to get the full experience. I'm making sure to watch my games list and make moves, so if anybody wants to try it out feel free to request a match against me. I'm checking up on my list every few hours. I'm ID 1205995289 on the list.

I'm also slapping together a prototype for the email notification of turn. PM me with your email address or text message address (<ten digit number>@<service provider>.net usually) if you'd like to try it out and i'll see if I can get it matched to the right account somehow.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:54:49 AM by CYBER_Aeon »

Offline WCRcabbage

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:19:27 AM »
Whoa. Very nice looking menu. Even if this is "only" chess, you pulled it off great. Can't wait to play some people online. :3

Offline Galactic Lord Xenu

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 10:46:36 AM »
FINALLY!

:D I cannot stress how much I've been waiting for something like this!  You're doing everything right so far!  Allow for user names, user profiles, and it could be among the best homebrew on the DS easily.  I love chess and was dismayed that the only other chess homebrew on the DS was against the AI.

The saving to a server idea is a great idea.  I don't know how much praise I can heap on this project without sounding insane.  The last project I was really excited about died, unfortunately, it was a a google map project that unfortunately never got all the kinks worked out of it :(  Gaia's Treasures I believe it was called.

Seriously, when you have the time, go all the way on this.  The fact that you already got the bare necessities working is great.   ~sm-43.gif~

~sm-42.gif~ ~sm-42.gif~ ~sm-42.gif~

Now, for some real feedback:

The blue "highlighting" to indicate which menu is selected is way to light.  It's hard for me to distinguish between the gray and the blue.  Tone the blue up a little bit so it's more apparent which menu option is selected.

Edit:  I'm in Game 17 with you.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:49:14 AM by Galactic Lord Xenu »

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the comments! Sounds like I picked a good project to work on.  8)

If enough people are interested in it, I don't see any reason I can't keep expanding on this project. Especially since I already got most of the annoying work out of the way by getting the DS to perform HTTP posts to a webserver and retrieve binary data back cleanly. By using the server I can store an insane amount of data and hand it back to the DS in more manageable chunks. Plus it reduces the possibility of cheating, between that and the encrypted data exchange.

I do have some big ideas for this project. I'd love to see a full online mode. I'm even thinking about implementing an AI through the web interface. Instead of trying to cram a full chess AI into the DS, I could setup a game bot that pushes games to a computer AI for processing.

I'd like to get some spriters to chip in artwork for the game too, create a few boards and sprite sets. My friends and I have been discussing adding 'themes' to it, so you can pick your own set of chess pieces and backgrounds for the game. In the future, that might even mean downloadable themes from the game server. With a FAT filesystem and a solid internet connection, the possibilities are endless.

I wish someone would get libLobby and DSWIFI to play nice together in PALib too, so I could make an ADHOC mode.
 ::sm-02::

@Galactic Lord Xenu: Yeah, the highlighting on the menu doesn't have nearly enough contrast. I'll have to fix that.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 12:40:48 PM »
It seems you forgot to implement castling!  Where the king hides behind the rook:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castling

In case you were wondering what I was doing in our game, it was to test that out :P

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 12:47:52 PM »
It seems you forgot to implement castling!  Where the king hides behind the rook:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castling

****, I was hoping nobody would notice. Lol. Yeah, it was one of the corners I had to cut to get this set up in time. Sorry about that. In case your wondering, En Passant isn't implemented yet either.
:-\

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »
****, I was hoping nobody would notice. Lol. Yeah, it was one of the corners I had to cut to get this set up in time. Sorry about that. In case your wondering, En Passant isn't implemented yet either.
:-\

:P that's always the first thing I test in chess homebrew or such

when I was little I'd always castle and the young punks would tell me I couldn't do it and stuff.  God I hated my childhood
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:54:31 PM by Galactic Lord Xenu »

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »
:P that's always the first thing I test in chess homebrew or such

when I was little I'd always castle and the young punks would tell me I couldn't do it and stuff.  God I hated my childhood

Heh. Well, Sorry about that. I promise it's one of the first things to get working for when I release the second version.
 ::sm-09.gif::

Offline thebawp

• Brotherhood of the Underworld.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 06:38:06 AM »
Nice looking project so far, however, I cannot join online.  You say to make sure to configure the WFC data, however, is this meant to be done ingame? I have my Wifi connection settings saved and working for Animal Crossing (official cart), and when trying to connect in ChessDS it shows my connection as being green with 4 bars.  However, it just gives me a 'Could not connect to server' message and boots me to the main screen after about a minute or so. 

I'm using a Supercard SD to play, and it's formatted to FAT, so should work. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 07:09:45 AM by thebawp »

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 02:42:55 PM »
Hmm. You need to have it setup outside of the game, so yeah - just like you have it. The connection indicator currently only means that the game has a connection to the access point. It doesn't indicate signal strength yet. (Thanks a lot, DSWifi. >.>)

Could not connect to server means the game failed to fetch the greeting sequence, which is the first actual data request. So it can connect to the access point but can't talk to my server. Hmm. Well, i've been testing the server on and off all day, and it's working just fine. Must be a problem with the connection. Maybe a firewall issue? Hmm. The DS is making HTTP requests. Not sure what to tell you.

Offline thebawp

• Brotherhood of the Underworld.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »
I'm accessing  via an access point, so I don't think it should be an issue with a firewall.  I'm in the UK, but that shouldn't make a difference, should it? 

It's a shame, because this looks like a really nice project, and I love chess! 

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 02:08:48 AM »
It shouldn't make a difference, no. As long as the access point has web access. Only other thing I could think of is some access points redirect the first connection to a 'login' type web page. (The access points at my college do this. It's really annoying) That would cause the error too.