Author Topic: ChessNET - Online Chess Game (Release 1)  (Read 30017 times)

Offline CYBER_Aeon

Re: ChessNET - Online Chess Game (Release 1)
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »
For those of you following ChessNET, I just want to let you guys know that i'll try to stick with development on this project. I'm already working on a second release that should be out in a few weeks. There's a lot of problems to cleanup.

Proposed Changes for Release 2:
UserID and Password System
Instead of the hideous user ID system, i'll be replacing it with a true login system. Usernames and passwords may be up to 16 characters long, and will be autosaved to the FAT system for easy access. This also allows non-FAT supporting devices to play online too - They just have to enter their login information each time. But it's better than nothing.

Implementing Remaining Rules
I'll have Castling and En Passant in for the next release, I hope. I don't see why not.

Various Network Errors
There's some sort of funky buffer error i'm hunting down that occurs on long game lists. There's a glitch that causes games to end on a simple 'check' (not checkmate), Etc. I have a lot of bugs to hunt down.

Improved Game List
So it'll be easier to navigate and frankly, look much better. Icons will be placed next to each game listing, which will allow the stylus on that screen. Instead of the page scroll, it'll be split into 'pages'. Left/Right on the D-Pad and icons at the bottom of the screen allow page navigation.

Game Loading Screen
Right now, when you select a game from the list, it fades to white, gets the game data, and fades the board in. But if the client hangs while getting the data, you're stuck at a white screen with no idea of what's going on. I need to create a screen to reflect the download status, so you know it's still working.

::sm-24.gif::

There's some more various touchup stuff, but that's the bulk of the changes for release 2, hopefully.

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »
EARLY RELEASE

This is not Release 2. This is a patch for Release 1.
I'm not even going to count this as an official release. However, I know many of you are probably running into some corruption errors here and there, so I decided to patch the source from Release 1 and upload it. Those of you who play online are going to want this patch, pending the second release. The rest of the features are coming soon!

[ DOWNLOAD NOW! | http://www.armoredtactics.com/projects/chessnet/ChessNET_R1.zip ]

::sm-09.gif::

And for everybody following this project, I thought i'd offer a sneak peak at one of the features in Release 2. Whadda think?

The new login management works flawlessly. Character masking on the passwords to help prevent password theft. Writes the username to the FAT system so you don't have to enter it every time too.

:P

Offline Galactic Lord Xenu

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 11:16:08 AM »
I can't wait for this... 

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »
FINAL NOTICE

This is the last post i'll be making about updates here, because ChessNET has an offical home now. There's clearly enough interest in this project to continue work on it. So please, direct your attention to the new homepage below.

http://www.armoredtactics.com/chessnet/