Author Topic: Submission Clarification  (Read 5660 times)

Offline InsertWittyName

Submission Clarification
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:55:32 AM »
Hi, just wanted to clarify one of the fields in the submission text.

Original enter : YES ( or NO )

Does this mean an original entry to this competition (ie. the first time it has been submitted), or a program that hasn't been released anywhere ever before?

Thanks, hope that made sense.

Offline BlackShark

Re: Submission Clarification
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 11:19:13 AM »
I believe it means if it has been submitted to the competition before.

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 11:26:15 AM »
Yes Blackshark is correct.  It doesn't matter if the app has been released on another site before.  They are only asking if it's the first time it has entered a Neoflash competition.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:37:55 AM by Sektor »

Offline InsertWittyName

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:48:32 AM »
Ahh ok, the wording 'original' was making me unsure.

Because obviously that would need all the 'I took 2 minutes to add the splash screen to my program I released ages ago' submissions to change the info.

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »
Slapping a splash screen on something you made long ago is valid as far as I know but that doesn't mean the judges will vote for it (although they probably will if it's good and hasn't entered before).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 01:42:55 PM by Sektor »

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:14:16 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit annoying seeing those. My project was started from the ground up at the beginning of the contest. I haven't even had that much time to work on it.

And then I look and people are submitting projects they started a year ago, and are already well known in the community and everything. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a contest to drum up homebrew coding?

Offline InsertWittyName

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 12:15:43 PM »
And then I look and people are submitting projects they started a year ago, and are already well known in the community and everything. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a contest to drum up homebrew coding?

Exactly.

Sektor: There are quite a few of them, around 10 in the PSP game category alone...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:17:15 PM by InsertWittyName »

Offline Sektor

• gtamp.com/DS
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 01:40:50 PM »
Yes it would be hard to compete with something that someone spent a year on.  There have been multiple competitions since 2005, so anyone who has been following could spend just as much time on an entry if they wanted to.  It is great to see new or at least highly improved entries but I also think its good to reward developers for their previous efforts.

Offline ai3gtmc

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 07:51:31 PM »
hmm it's really hard to compete with those homewbrews .. i thinks it's better if only new homebrews are accepted.. i mean what if Dark_Alex entered his custom firmware here that he started releasing long time ago.. 99% he would win..

no offense just giving my opinion :P

Offline Mr305

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit annoying seeing those. My project was started from the ground up at the beginning of the contest. I haven't even had that much time to work on it.

I second this.

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 11:21:53 PM »

I just take that into account when I'm judging entries.

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline SiW

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:09:05 AM »
It's basically impossible to enforce though.  You don't know how long someone has been sitting on a project.  If you say it has to be something previously unreleased that's one thing, or like the Neo compo, make sure it's known if you've entered it before.