Author Topic: Review of all Entries (WIP)  (Read 16776 times)

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
Review of all Entries (WIP)
« on: March 22, 2008, 04:54:45 AM »
Reviews starting now!
Motion or Original = 1.5 points, because the reviews are out of 30. I believe this adheres with the 5% idea, as stated by Dr.neo. (31.5/30=105/100)
Note: Most are modified because I suck at proofreading and then notice something later. My apologies. ~sm-39.gif~
Update: My 9-in-1 USB reader arrived from IC2005 today! I can now test all NDS applications!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:51:13 AM by sturm105 »

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
Re: Review of all Entries
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 05:04:11 AM »
Well, I figure I should do a work-in-progress. I'm gonna start with:
PSP GAMES

Polygun Wars: Fairly close to the real Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved (which I own and play). Polygun wars is a little bit easier, and the graphics aren't exactly up to par. I suppose I've been spoiled by Trigonometry Wars. However, gameplay was solid and controls responsive. Enemies did what they were supposed to, but I did notice that black holes did not affect my ship or my shots. Overall, good game. (NOTE: Crashed if I did nothing in the front menu for about 20 seconds.)
  • Graphics: 8/10 Looks pretty close, but there's some in-game lag.
  • Gameplay: 10/10 Plays just like the real Geometry Wars.
  • Concept: 6/10 Bringing console fun to the PSP. Would be cool if it hadn't been done before.
  • Total: 8+10+6+1.5 (original enter) = 25.5
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:51:57 AM by sturm105 »

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
Re: Review of all Entries (WIP)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 05:26:03 AM »
Sushi Rubik: Worked great, I don't know Rubik's notation, but as far as I could tell it was accurate. I really enjoyed hitting all the buttons, then watching it solve itself. I can't solve a Rubik's Cube, so I don't know how good it is as an actual simulator.
  • Graphics 8/10 Not stellar, but they get the job done.
  • Gameplay: 10/10 It's even easier to turn than my real Rubik's™ cube! And easier to solve. (Autosolve FTW!)
  • Concept: 9/10 While a lot easier to carry and solve than a real cube, there's nothing stopping you from getting one.
  • Total: 8+10+9+1.5 (original enter) = 28.5
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:53:37 AM by sturm105 »

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 06:06:58 AM »
Bugz: This is probably gonna get my vote. It's extraordinarily professional. It even uses the PSP's save system, or something very, very, VERY close. It starts up great, has clean lines, and nice text. Bugz also has solid gameplay. While based a little bit on luck, timing and aiming are still major components of this well-made game.
  • Graphics: 10/10 They look as good as Loco Roco!
  • Gameplay: 9/10 Could've been based more on skill than luck, but overall fun to play.
  • Concept: 10/10 Make a professional looking game with good gameplay and beautiful menus. Works for me!
  • Total: 10+9+10+1.5 (original enter) = 30.5
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:54:12 AM by sturm105 »

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:47:26 AM »
Orbid: I did not play the original Orbid, but this one seems like a good game. Reminding me of Snake in concept and flOw in execution, the graphics are shiny and fun to look at. The gameplay is fun, but my nub-less analog… thing… made it slightly uncomfortable to play. I didn't have a chance to try the multiplayer because of my stupid WiFi router, but looking forward to it. Even though it's not in there, I could definitely see motion being integrated into the game. That motion would put this game miles above the other motion games, which are mostly Pong clones (not to be dissing Pong clones, but they're flooding the world of every system everywhere). Someone pointed out that they're more squares than orbs, and the artist replied that more orb-like shapes are planned in future versions. I hope motion is also included, because that would make a sick game to play.
  • Graphics: 9/10 Very well polished, but the squareness shaves just a hair off of ten.
  • Gameplay: 10/10 Control scheme is great, the game is difficult but not impossible. Many modes to choose from. Infrastructure multiplayer is a plus.
  • Concept: 8/10 Make a shiny game combined with the key elements of classics.
  • Total: 9+10+8+1.5 (original enter) = 28.5

Update: My router came back… and multiplayer crashed my PSP. Eh, I probably would've lost to someone else, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:49:27 AM by sturm105 »

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 03:05:23 AM »
Note: I used the 3.XX kernel version on phat 3.90 M33. Also, check out my ADHD!
Dororo's Adventure: The turnout of 3D games for this competition is amazing. I remember back in 2005 when the coolest-looking game was Attack of the Mutants . Now it's 2008, and we have Dororo's Adventure. A 3D puzzle game featuring responsive controls (maybe a bit too responsive) and an actual backstory (ZOMG!), players are going to be entertained for hours. Dororo's Adventure features a multitude of puzzles and has a cliffhanger "ending." Well, it doesn't tell us who left teabags lying around. Hehe… teabagging…
  • Graphics: 10/10 This is the best-looking 3D game I've ever seen. It even has multiple viewing angles.
  • Gameplay: 9/10 Entertaining puzzles, but the controls are zipping you across the stage.
  • Concept: 10/10 I like puzzle games, and this one has everything a good puzzle needs: graphics, puzzle contruction, challenge, and some weird premise.
  • Total: 10+9+10+1.5 (original enter) = 30.5
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:43:26 AM by sturm105 »

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:01:51 AM »
Motion Pong: A Pong clone for the PSP. Who saw that one coming? Controls are pretty standard, arrows for up and down. This game also does motion sensing, allowing you to play with mittens that do not have thumbs. While cool for the novelty of it, Pong isn't the shining achievement it used to be.
  • Graphics: 8/10 Looks nice, fairly shiny. Nothing jumps out at me.
  • Gameplay: 9/10 Power-ups add a nice touch, and the controls are solid. However, the AI is tougher than most.
  • Concept: 4/10 Port Pong… again… this time, add motion!
  • Total: 8+9+4+1.5 (original enter) + 1.5 (Motion score) = 24

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »
BlowUp!: Another 3D offering in the Neoflash Spring Coding Competition. This game puts you in the driver's seat of a 1 mm tall tank, on a quest! Not to conquers, but to pillage… or collect, I suppose, coins. There are also spinning fan things trying to shoot at you. There are big blocks from who-knows-where in your way, and what appears to be rain in the background. All in all, it's one of the best-looking games in the competition. Right behind Dororo's Adventure, its 3D competitor, it never fails to display what a little hard work and some coding knowledge, along with the work done by the OpenGL (PSPGL?) team, can produce. With good game play (even though I couldn't find the last coin on the first level… :-\), 3D graphics, and moving treads on the tank, we have here a serious contender for the #1 PSP Game.
  • Graphics: 9/10 3D, but some odd texture choices. (What's with the ground? It looks like mud from marsh.)
  • Gameplay: 9/10 Pretty solid, but the seemingly bugged first level holds it back.
  • Concept: 10/10 3D tanks are the wave of the future!!
  • Total: 9+9+10+1.5=29.5
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 04:10:13 AM by sturm105 »

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sg57

• ...you'll never know what it's like...
    • SG57's Projects
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 06:56:09 AM »
Your reviews are really similar to what I'm expecting out of the judges (a few didn't take into account it already being released before or gameplay being dry).

Out of all the reviews I've read yours are so far the best I've seen  ~sm-32.gif~

Are you also judging the DS side as well?  ~sm-44.gif~
...you'll never know what it's like...
...spending your whole life in a dream...

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 07:35:33 AM »
Thank you very much, and yes, I am planning to do every entry in all categories, except for Let's Roll (I don't have a PSP motion kit). It's slow going, though. I try to beat the game before I review it, and I'm addicted to Rock Band. If you have it (on the 360) and want to play me, drop me a friend invite. My Gamertag is Hawke105.

EDIT: I just read this post over. As you can see, I obviously have ADHD. It doesn't help reviewing…
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:40:20 AM by sturm105 »

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sg57

• ...you'll never know what it's like...
    • SG57's Projects
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 10:24:53 AM »
LOL

I really want to get Rock Band, however I won't buy another console just for it :P

Once it comes out for Wii I'm all over it...

And heh - I couldn't tell you had ADHD  :-\
...you'll never know what it's like...
...spending your whole life in a dream...

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:55:34 PM »
Can't wait until June 22nd, then, huh? Rock Band is the awesome. Especially drums. More reviews coming today, I finished playing Heartlight Deluxe.

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 06:29:03 AM »
Avoid It: A game of quick reflexes and open-source art software, Avoid It v0.2 was entered into the competition a day before its Lua cousin, Look Out!. In this game, you play a green square (or something) trying to avoid the multitude of different colored squares or rectangles. Some of them have fangs. You must run from them. Sadly, there is no backstory as to why we are running. There is also the question of the "Life" mechanic. In my experience, it's pretty much you get hit, you die. Perhaps I didn't pick up enough life packs, but why not have just a one-hit check? Featuring multiple levels of difficulty and lack of d-pad support, this game provides a pick-up-and-play version of the much more complex ZOMG WE'RE GONNA DIE FROM ATTACKING ALIENS, due for release in 2008, published by EA Games.
  • Graphics: 8/10 Nothing impressive, not too impressive on any front, EXCEPT it used the GIMP.
  • Gameplay: 8/10 Nothing new, but all well executed.
  • Concept: 9/10 Rising above the other avoiding games with multiple levels and multiple enemies, the roof wasn't much farther up. How to get on top? Make it 3D.
  • Total: 8+8+9+1.5 (original enter) = 26.5

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia

Offline cdesseno

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 09:02:42 AM »
I think in the next NEO compo I will sumbit a 3D version of Avoid it! or another game, but it will be 3D!

Offline sturmen

• Fear me.
    • Sturmen's Site
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »
Looking forward to it! 3D is the wave of the future! Especially in tank form.

Buy from these websites!
DealExtreme or Play-Asia