Author Topic: PSP Games reviews - PSP Apps reviews as well  (Read 26392 times)

Offline lobo

Re: PSP Games reviews - PSP Apps reviews as well
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »
Yes, of course it is the purpose to get the people work on the new stuff and get awarded for it. However, it is a new app or game, regardless how much time it takes to build it. You can't just finish something in 3-4 weeks, especially having a family, job, life out there that you have to commit to.

Having two, three, hell, fifteen people doesn't grant that you will finish it in a few weeks as everyone has something going on other than making games. Time of developing should not be a factor here as Neo has stated that 'original enter (entry)' is the one that hasn't appeared on compo before thus will get +5 original score thing.

A few compos ago there was the winner in nds game, WolfSlayer that took about a year to be made. After you see the game, you understand why..How long it took for, let's say Ninja Gaiden to be made, noone is gonna say 'Oh, that game is old' once it comes out.

That is all I'm saying, time really, really should not have anything to do with this, people with good concepts might actually make something in a few days and win over those who have worked for months and months. No problem.
It would be unfair to say that they suck only because the game was made in a few days and not in several months.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 08:04:36 AM by lobo »

Offline BlackShark

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 07:54:51 AM »
Yes, of course it is the purpose to get the people work on the new stuff and get awarded for it. However, it is a new app or game, regardless how much time it takes to build it. You can't just finish something in 3-4 weeks, especially having a family, job, life out there that you have to commit to.

Having two, three, hell, fifteen people doesn't grant that you will finish it in a few weeks as everyone has something going on other than making games. Time of developing should not be a factor here as Neo has stated that 'original enter (entry)' is the one that hasn't appeared on compo before thus will not get +5 original score thing.

A few compos ago there was the winner in nds game, WolfSlayer that took about a year to be made. After you see the game, you understand why..How long it took for, let's say Ninja Gaiden to be made, noone is gonna say 'Oh, that game is old' once it comes out.

That is all I'm saying, time really, really should not have anything to do with this, people with good concepts might actually make something in a few days and win over those who have worked for months and months. No problem.
It would be unfair to say that they suck only because the game was made in a few days and not in several months.

I completely agree, I was working on aap lander for 6 months, before turning it in, and its pretty simplistic, but none the less it took me many months to get it done. time really shouldn't be a facter

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 08:10:13 AM »
I fully agree that a good project will take quite some time to develop. ChessNET came a long way in the two week panic-rush I spent on it, but it clearly needs a lot more work before it'll be solid.

I really wish I had known this competition was coming up, so I could have started earlier. I will for the next one, so I have something more polished to submit.

Offline lobo

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »
Exactly. For a game you wanna make to feel and play just the way you want, I think none of use should care too much or stress about either time or compos. Not that I hate compos but they usually create this kinda near chaotic situation for everyone lacking time to evaluate the work properly before submitting. Heck, I would say that compos are the best way to show off the weirdest bugs your app or game might have. ::sm-12.gif::

So, all in all, for anyone talented enough to bring something like in those 3 day, 7 day compo things you usually see on PC 'indie scene' , I say more power to you. To the rest, work, work, work and chase bugs until 'Mission Accomplished'.

Offline dragula96

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2008, 10:09:09 AM »
HMM, so according to the FAQs #5:

5. Should games get points for motion support if the motion controls suck?  --- YES, support motion function and "original entry" will get points both.

even if they do suck they should get the Points, also you have to give the Original Entry points as well (if its never been entered in a NeoFlash contest in the past).

Offline gambiting

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
BlowUp! Was done from scratch in one month - I started working exactly on 22 February. I've had a lot of problems at school because I was coding,not learning. And almost everything in this game was new for me - I have an experience in 2D game,but it's my first serious 3D game. So,considering all the work done in this one month,it's really a great success it's working(@koollectablz - I know about this little bug that crashes game from time to time,but I can't figure it out - at the time of crash there is no error on psplink,even psp-gdb doesn't help.It behaves like the game was still running normally). And about this original or not issue - I guess that the MAIN thing that you have to consider is if it was ever released before - if it was,then it isn't original for me. But if somebody was developing it for 2 years,and it was never released before,then it's 100% original,and NEW production.

Offline dragula96

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2008, 09:36:31 PM »
lol, yea, Tetriabetes started life around Feb 26, I almost lost my job, and wife because of it.

I just couldent stop coding. day and night, that's all that was on my mind.

Offline koollectablz

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 04:41:53 AM »
BlowUp! Was done from scratch in one month - I started working exactly on 22 February. I've had a lot of problems at school because I was coding,not learning. And almost everything in this game was new for me - I have an experience in 2D game,but it's my first serious 3D game. So,considering all the work done in this one month,it's really a great success it's working(@koollectablz - I know about this little bug that crashes game from time to time,but I can't figure it out - at the time of crash there is no error on psplink,even psp-gdb doesn't help.It behaves like the game was still running normally). And about this original or not issue - I guess that the MAIN thing that you have to consider is if it was ever released before - if it was,then it isn't original for me. But if somebody was developing it for 2 years,and it was never released before,then it's 100% original,and NEW production.

Totally agree with that!

I've now added the extra points for original entry and motion support to all entries.

Offline sumiguchi

• sumiguchi
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2008, 04:43:58 AM »
I fully agree that a good project will take quite some time to develop. ChessNET came a long way in the two week panic-rush I spent on it, but it clearly needs a lot more work before it'll be solid.

I really wish I had known this competition was coming up, so I could have started earlier. I will for the next one, so I have something more polished to submit.
Well Neoflash compo is every spring March 20  and every fall Aug 20 for the last few years (at least) so I guess you must be new to homebrewing for ds/psp....   ::sm-14.gif::
I was thinking of entering something this contest but decided to wait till Aug so that it could be complete with all the polish I want....  but yeah...I'll be submitting it as a new entry even though I worked on it (very part time) for about 8 months by then  :)

Offline sg57

• ...you'll never know what it's like...
    • SG57's Projects
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2008, 07:04:31 AM »
dragula - It's a nice version of Tetris but nothing that hasn't been done before and I can't see Neo having a tetris clone winning - it kinda implies the scene and other entries are so dull even a Tetris clone can take the prize  ::sm-03::

And considering you had it released before (and not updated, just a simple splash screen added........) there's no reason for someone to redownload..  Neo loses spreading the word about the competition and it's site... ~sm-31.gif~

Just the way I see it...
...you'll never know what it's like...
...spending your whole life in a dream...

Offline kaltorak

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2008, 08:18:36 AM »
hello
For that I you do not work the KOPBANPSP?
You have to put it in the folder PSP\Game
KALTORAK.

Offline koollectablz

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »
I did - it didn't.

Offline dragula96

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2008, 12:22:07 PM »
dragula - It's a nice version of Tetris but nothing that hasn't been done before and I can't see Neo having a tetris clone winning - it kinda implies the scene and other entries are so dull even a Tetris clone can take the prize  ::sm-03::
Hey!, i worked hard on my game, even if it is a clone, so what so are 90% of the games entered in this comp, whats the difference if its a tetris clone or a non tetris clone?
my game has polish, is a great game, has great sound, is fun to play, very addictive, and is bug free.

And considering you had it released before (and not updated, just a simple splash screen added........) there's no reason for someone to redownload..  Neo loses spreading the word about the competition and it's site...  ~sm-31.gif~
Just the way I see it...
it has been relased before? it's less then a month old when entered in the compo., i could have very well just waited for the comp and made its first public aperence at the compo, whould that have been better for you?

enyway it don't matter what you think, it's a perfectly legal entry, even if i dident updated it a 10th time only for this compo, its still an original entry,
as a matter of fact, i have a better version still, with 7bag randomizer, and 2 playable modes, would you have liked me to enter that version instead? and get an even higher rating?
i could very easaely done that, but decided to hold off on it.

oh yea and acording to this
http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-kitty-cannon-playable-demo-35601.html

kitty cannon is more then 2 years old, and your complaining about tetriabetes being less then a month old?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:26:28 PM by dragula96 »

Offline sg57

• ...you'll never know what it's like...
    • SG57's Projects
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »
I would hope everyone who entered worked hard on their entry or else they really shouldn't deserve a reward for it. What makes you so special that you deserve extra points for working hard on it? (when really a tetris clone isn't crazy hard work like others entered into the competition, but that's irrelevant).

There's a big difference between a tetris clone where it's been done many times before on the PSP alone and a clone of a game that hasn't been done before on the PSP, or anything at that.  Your game may have some polish, but as an update it should've atleast been polished more to give someone a reason to redownload and play it.  It's a great game because it's a clone of a classic game that has endless re-playability.  It has great sound because you found a remixed version of the original catchy tetris song.  It's fun to play cause the original classic has the great gameplay, I would hope a clone would carry that over. The fact it's supposively bug free is irrelevant towards the game itself seeing as how bugs are the programmers fault and shouldn't be in there at the release... You as the programmer should have no bugs if your ready to release it and have end users who have no idea what to expect play it.

I never said it wasn't a legal entry and yes it's been released before, simple as that - read the rules buddy. Games entered into the competition on initial releases are truly 'original'. There have been complaints about entries like this - how someone makes a game, finds out about this competition then adds a simple splash screen and re-releases it calling it updated... There's absolutely no reason for me to redownload your game and play it should I already have your one released last month on my PSP.  Why should i? It hasn't been updated, all there is is a splash screen advertising neoflash - as the end user I could careless, but as Neoflash that matters the most.  The fact you DIDN'T wait a month and polish it up and make it the ultimate tetris clone ever is your fault and the fact you DIDN'T add in those extra features and re-release as an update having hte neoflash logo giving people a reason to redownload is your fault again.  If it was so easy then why didn't you?  Your arrogance bothers me.  I could careless what you do with it, I just am sharing my opinion with you.  If what I think doesn't matter then why are you so upset by what I said?

True I did supposively 'start' kitten cannon over 2 years ago, but there's still a huge factor involved that separates what i've done to what you've (not) done. The one entered into the competition is updated 10 fold.  It actually gives the end user a reason to redownload it should it be an update (when it's really an initial release).  The age since it's been already released is irrelevant.  And technically - that's Kitty Cannon.  I released Kitten Cannon - that renders your complaint void.

To put this into perspective for your oblivious self - what if StrmnNrmn entered his Daedalus r13 into the competition?  No update, just a re-release with a splash screen. You have r13 on your PSP already - why bother to redownload just to have a splash screen appear for a few seconds as an update?  Now what if he were to update it to r14 where there's a much better compatibility and frame rates are greater on top of hte splash screen.  That'd give you a reason to redownload because the added features and give you a reason to vote for it.

</rant>

You act like I'm totally dissing the **** out of you and your game.  I'm not - in fact I even said it's one of hte better versions of tetris for hte PSP.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:56:25 AM by sg57 »
...you'll never know what it's like...
...spending your whole life in a dream...

Offline dragula96

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 01:28:34 AM »
ha ha, you so silly.  ~sm-45.gif~