Author Topic: GBA/NDS Games Reviews  (Read 10116 times)

Offline koollectablz

GBA/NDS Games Reviews
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:19:51 AM »
GBA/DS Game Reviews.

As with the PSP game section I’m scoring the Nintendo games on Grafix, Sound and Gameplay out of 10 with an extra 3 points available dependant on whether an entry is original and if it supports motion – ending up with a total of 33 points up for grabs.

A note on gameplay – I think the touchscreen is a huge part of the success of the DS and if the game makes good use of it I shall mark the gameplay up accordingly.

AREA TEN by kukulcan - 19/33

Really cool implementation of what ultimately is probably too simple an idea.  You have to keep two different sets of coloured balls separated from each other by the use of a moving doorway, and er, that’s it.

Grafix: 6/10 – frankly brilliant grafix for such a limited game
Sound: 7/10
Gameplay: 3/10
Original/Motion: 3/3

ASCIIWAR 0.9999 by samel – 10.5/33

Well, this is totally unlike anything else in the comp – in fact you’ll have to play it to fully appreciate it.  After all you are just a @ having a stroll around whilst collecting chips and casting spells.  If that sounds weird, well it just is!  Shame no sound.  Love the grafix (they’re aren’t any to speak of).

Grafix: 2/10
Sound: 0/10
Gameplay: 7/10 – weirdly good fun!
Original/Motion: 1.5/3

ChessNET - Online Chess Game (Release 1) by CYBER_Aeon – 11.5/33

Now, my scoring of this is only for the local version at the moment – the whole point really is online chess, against actual opponents.  I shall be revisiting it this week to update with my online experiences.  For now it’s a fairly simple chess experience, touchscreen moves and a nice clean interface.

Grafix: 6/10
Gameplay: 4/10 – subject to change with online experience

Chocobo World Deluxe  by Davgav – 16.5/33

The game starts but then, I dunno really, it just is – hard to tell what you are supposed to do, maybe it’s a Japanese thing and, well, I am from Birmingham.  Nice grafix.

Grafix: 8/10
Sound: 5/10
Gameplay: 2/10 - ?

DiceSoldiers by t4ils – 17.5/33

Nicest use of the comp splashscreen!  This is Risk for the DS.  I thought I’d lost the plot until I realised I’d set the cpu up against itself.  Nice looking game even if the sound is a bit overblown.  TBH I could never get into Risk as a board game – Risk on the DS hasn’t changed that view.

Grafix: 8/10 – sweet look
Sound: 4/10
Gameplay: 4/10

DualShooter by eadmaster - 18/33

Pretty much a simple bottom up plane vs planes shooter – we’ve all seen ‘em before but this one is still pretty good.  Very difficult to avoid enemy shots though.  That started to piss me off after a bit.

Grafix: 5/10
Sound: 4/10
Gameplay: 6/10
Original/Motion: 3/3 – gets extra for motion even though untested by even the developer

Electro by chris28 - 19/33

A coloured block falling game, nicely put together but the stylus controls sucked for me, ending up getting quite frustrated with it – and I love block falling games!

Grafix: 7/10
Gameplay: 2/10 – not there yet

Escape From Island by Ben2303 - 17/33

Puzzler where you follow arrows to be presented with obstacles that need to be overcome with items you collect along the way.  Good fun but a bit too easy as you’re not penalised by just trying all items in all situations until you find the right one.  Good fun though.  Does what it says on the tin.

Grafix: 5/10
Sound: 4/10 – the incidental music really starts to grate
Gameplay: 5/10

Game Melody Oratorio by DesertDog: 25.5/33

Must admit – I really liked this.  Very simple, but extremely well executed.  At the end of the day it’s a piano simulator, you learn a few neat tunes – like the themes to Tetris and Super Mario and then have the opportunity to play them back to an appreciative (or not) audience.  The touchscreen and stylus is used to play the keyboard – works 10/10 – didn’t find any bugs to report.  There is room for improvement though – I felt the keyboard should have filled the whole of the width of the lower screen and it really needs to be able to play multiple keys one after another without having to lift the stylus from the screen – like when you run your finger down the keys of a real piano.  Being able to add your own tunes and save them would also be a real plus.  Like playing polyphonic ringtones or wavs or summat.  Great Homebrew!

Sound: 8/10 – really liked the audience booing when you mess up
Gameplay: 8/10

jaPongG by leinad - 8/33 – sorry.

Well, its just another pong game – and it is.  Also amazingly hard!

Grafix: 3/10
Sound: 2/10
Gameplay: 3/10
Original/Motion: 0/3

Legion by smealum – 24.5/33

Very impressed by this one.  Its just about 3D.  Though at heart it’s a 3rd person shooter the detail that’s gone into the storyline is really very commendable.  Great usage of the touchscreen for controls as well.  I found it very much like rogue agent in that respect.  It would help if the camera weren’t at the same ‘zoom’ all the time though – you really needed to be able to expand the game area so you can see the bad guys coming a little earlier – indeed its nigh on impossible to avoid being hit numerous times all at once.  Stay with it to complete the first level as the next ones get better – less grey!

LoneWolfDS - Flight From The Dark by Michoko – 28.5/33

What can I say?  This is as good as a retail game – I dunno if it’s a port but even so everything about this reeks excellence.  Grafix are superb, music is brilliantly atmospheric.  It’s a gamebook in gameboy form!

In fact I’m quite astounded how good this is!  Obviously you must like gamebooks to get the fullest fun out of it, but, heck even the number choosing method is frankly astonishingly good.

If you download one game – it has to be this one.

Grafix: 9/10
Sound: 9/10
Gameplay: 9/10

MarbleMan: The Arena by MagNet - 21/33

Nice game controlling a ball and trying to stay alive.  Gameplay can be a bit tricky but its worth it when you bash into the squares at full tilt.

NoobMiniGames by tiancai - 0/33

Didn’t load.

Grafix: 0/10
Gameplay: 0/10

Piztog Tower Defense by Shoog – 26.5/33

What a superb game!  I’ve never played one like it before.  You have a set amount of time to construct things on a maze type thingy that must try to stop a load of weird things get past you – sounds really odd, but its really good fun.  The grafix and music are spot on as well.  This must have a very good chance at ultimate top spot.  Really good game.  Must go and play more…

Grafix: 9/10
Sound: 8/10

PongClassicDS (0.5) by minishlink - 9/33

This is like ridiculously difficult!  I’ve had it with pong.

Grafix: 2/10
Sound: 2/10
Gameplay: 2/10

Puzl by SiW – 18.5/33

Jigsaw puzzle for DS.  Is what it is.  Pretty boring until you add your own images – and then well gameplay can certainly heat up a bit.  Good, honest, well made homebrew.

Sound: 4/10 – bit euro eighties for me

Scogger 0.2 by scognito - 24/33

Yay!  Well at least I got it to work on the DS.  Good fun frog jumping puzzler.  Frog needs to clear every ‘stepping stone’ – only problem is he can’t jump diagonally or go backwards – bit like the little ladies’ driving.  Pesky frog!  Draws you in and keeps you playing until you throw your DS at the cat in frustration.

Grafix: 8/10 – simple yet really nice
Sound: 7/10 – good use of the music, nice to be able to mute it via shoulder buttons
Gameplay: 6/10 – puzzler at heart, no bad thing!

Snake Dual Screen by eddy - 16/33

Yup, its snake – on both screens.  Updated graphix, amusing sound, unfortunately still snake.

Gameplay: 2/10

Star Wars Battles by space1 – 17.5/33

Think battleships with Star Wars universe ships, add in a mini one on one space invaders game when you get a hit and that’s Star Wars Battles in a nutshell.  When I first started playing I was like ‘hey this is kinda cool’ but as you keep playing there are some obvious annoyances – the gameplay is very samey and the computer is a rubbish opponent with no AI that I could make out

Sound: 6/10 – sound is best thing about the game
Gameplay: 4/10 – gets boring pretty quickly, I didn’t finish a whole game and I was playing it for quite a while.  In fact the comp did seem to take a huge dislike to one particular square and lasered the hell out of it for ages

Super Mario : The Last GBA Quest by omg – 21.5/33

Now I’m a big Mario fan, though who isn’t!  And I came to this one prepared to be disappointed – I still think Super Mario Bros 3 is the pinnacle of gaming ;-) But I was pleasantly surprised – it’s a very worthy addition to any Mario library.  A number of levels does indeed draw you on a quest.  The feel of the game is absolutely Gameboy era with with nice updated grafix.  There are some bugs however with ? blocks that can’t be bashed, no slide when crouched, no acceleration, no change of fall direction when Super Mario has jumped/bounced off an enemy, rogue blocks giving endless coins…  I could continue but it’d be churlish.  This IS a very good Mario game.  Highly recommended.

Sound: 6/10 – sometimes became a bit distorted, esp on the later levels.
Gameplay: 6/10 – it’s a Mario platformer, new it ain’t but exciting? Just!

Super Wings [GBA] by eKid - 0/33

My 3-in-1 was having none of this game.  Would not load.

ULTIMATE SLIDING PUZZLE by kukulcan - 0/33

Whether or not this is the ultimate sliding puzzle is a moot point, as it refused to load

My top 10:

1.   Lonewolf DS
2.   Piztog Tower Defense
3.   Game Melody Oratario
4.   Legion
5.   Scogger
6.   Supermario – The Last Quest
7.   Marbleman
8.   Electro
9.   Area 10
10.   Puzl

Now onto the apps!

Offline MagNet

Re: GBA/NDS Games Reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
Nice scores, including mine :D, except maybe the graphics score bashes some of the really good games but anyway I agree with most. Also pity you didn't get to play SuperWings, try it on an emulator at least, it's indeed good.

Offline minishlink

• When you want, you can !
    • Minishlink's Devblog
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
"This is like ridiculously difficult!"
Huh ? It's very easier as I dit would to do this homebrew  ~sm-40.gif~

"Sound: 2/10
Gameplay: 2/10"
You didn't play my game, did you ?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:43:17 PM by minishlink »

Offline MagNet

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »
Obviously not, or it just isn't his style, dunno.

Offline tiancai

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:26:33 PM »
hmm...kinda sad my games didn't work for u...
I thought etting more reviews/feedback will help me do a better game next time...

:P

Oh well, finally read thru ur review...hmm...
nice one  :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:58:51 PM by tiancai »

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »
Legion by smealum – 24.5/33

Very impressed by this one.  Its just about 3D.  Though at heart it’s a 3rd person shooter the detail that’s gone into the storyline is really very commendable.  Great usage of the touchscreen for controls as well.  I found it very much like rogue agent in that respect.  It would help if the camera weren’t at the same ‘zoom’ all the time though – you really needed to be able to expand the game area so you can see the bad guys coming a little earlier – indeed its nigh on impossible to avoid being hit numerous times all at once.  Stay with it to complete the first level as the next ones get better – less grey!

What did you mean by "Its just about 3D" ?
Anyway, very nice reviews. I'm a bit disappointed that our game didn't get more than 8 for its graphics considering that lobo made it all (and when i say all, i mean it.. every single thing you can see in the game was drawn/modelled by him) and that there's a lot of diversity. (in the demo, there are 5 different tilesets for 6 levels and many different decoration models) Except that, our score is quite satisfying, as well as the other entries' score.  ;)

Offline sumiguchi

• sumiguchi
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:19:30 PM »
Why not test superwings in the emu if you can't get it working on hardware...(I had no problems with superwings but am having problems with Supermario... but I'm testing in emu to be fair - since it works for others)

Superwings deserves higher than 0!

Offline koollectablz

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »

Yup, I did play it, though to be fair at that point I'd had enough of pong games.  As to the difficulty, the ball starts really fast and the paddle is really unresponsive.  Maybe I'd screwed up the settings but as I've mentioned I really had enough of pong by then.

I will def come back to your game and probably review again as it wasn't your fault I'd come down with antipongitus.

Offline koollectablz

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 01:34:11 AM »
What did you mean by "Its just about 3D" ?
Anyway, very nice reviews. I'm a bit disappointed that our game didn't get more than 8 for its graphics considering that lobo made it all (and when i say all, i mean it.. every single thing you can see in the game was drawn/modelled by him) and that there's a lot of diversity. (in the demo, there are 5 different tilesets for 6 levels and many different decoration models) Except that, our score is quite satisfying, as well as the other entries' score.  ;)

Whilst I think I scored you very highly on grafix anyway, the progtanonist and enemies are all black and that spoilt the 3D for me slightly.  Bit more lighting effects and texture would've bumped up the mark even further.

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 01:53:06 AM »
Don't get me wrong, 8 is high. It's just that i thought legion could have got more with lobo's incredible work. But, you're the judge here, i'm not going to say whether your decision is right or wrong, especially since i do get your point. :)
About the zoom you mentionned, that's a very recurring comment, i'm working on it right now, so thanks for the feedback !

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 02:09:45 AM »
ChessNET - Online Chess Game (Release 1) by CYBER_Aeon – 11.5/33

Now, my scoring of this is only for the local version at the moment – the whole point really is online chess, against actual opponents.  I shall be revisiting it this week to update with my online experiences.  For now it’s a fairly simple chess experience, touchscreen moves and a nice clean interface.

Gameplay: 4/10 – subject to change with online experience

I'm curious why game play scored so low. Aside from one or two unimplemented rules, it's a very clean interface and gameplay.

Offline koollectablz

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 03:11:02 AM »
As I say in my review this will not be a complete score until I've tested the online experience.  At the moment it is just scored for local play, its nice, clean and simple - that I like.  The score will improve if online play proves worthwhile.

Its also quite low as I like sound with my games - you may want to consider implementation of own mp3 playback.

Offline MagNet

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 04:18:13 AM »
Don't get me wrong, 8 is high. It's just that i thought legion could have got more with lobo's incredible work. But, you're the judge here, i'm not going to say whether your decision is right or wrong, especially since i do get your point. :)
About the zoom you mentionned, that's a very recurring comment, i'm working on it right now, so thanks for the feedback !
The more complex the tech and graphics get the more mistakes you can make and let's face it there are a lot in Legion. Ranging from visible seams on UVs over distorted textures to the gun not being always in Brute's hand. It is awesome tech and incredible work overall but as such it needs much more polishing than the simpler efforts.

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 04:21:33 AM »
Ranging from visible seams on UVs over distorted textures to the gun not being always in Brute's hand.
I don't really understand that part. Could you explain it please ?  :(

Offline koollectablz

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 03:28:36 AM »
Forgot to update this - I did indeed retry Super Wings and managed to get it working - its GREAT!

I'd put it easily into the top 5.