Author Topic: GBA/NDS games review  (Read 31117 times)

Offline minishlink

• When you want, you can !
    • Minishlink's Devblog
Re: GBA/NDS games review (in progress)
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
Classic Pong DS doesn't exist, it's PongClassicDS :(
(not *grave in french*)

Offline tiancai

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 05:22:13 PM »
Hehe...thx for the review :)

I'll try my very best 2 improved... :'( :'(
ur review is quite encouraging... :)

I like how u review... (not because ur pass me...lol)
but cos it looks professional... and it doesn't sound biased...

and btw...i didn't mentioned that this game actually have 20 diff pictures to play...

BUT

i think its quite hard to get to play all...
like u say..its a little too difficult to spot... :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2008, 02:00:30 AM »
I've just to say that ASCIIWAR is in ascii graphics because it's a roguelike game [serch on wikipedia] and from century [ ::sm-05:: ] roguelike have been made in ascii.
Said that, a sprite graphics could be very good  :-\

For the keyboard: i know that for only a few command i could make a better menu, but it's the same reason. Roguelike use the whole keyboard to cast spell, use backpack and so on.

I've done this game just to get the basis for a more complex roguelike ... may be you can see it the next compo  8)

One last thing: thx for the review!!!! i'll make treasure of your comment
--
Samel
"Close the world, txen eht nepo!"
"You will never break my mind!"

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2008, 02:09:00 AM »
@Samel: If you want to see an amazing execution of a roguelike for the DS, make sure to check out Powder. Being designed for portable consoles, he designed it with a minimal of commands and a few simple text-overlay menus. It's work beautifully too. Take a look at it, it might give you a few ideas on how to improve on yours too.
 ;)

Offline Ben2303

• http://ben2303.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2008, 02:24:05 AM »
Thanks for your nice answers   :)

I made some corrections :
- Good name for PongClassicDS which got mixed up for no obvious reason except maybe Pringles abuse.
- Scogger has 100 puzzles, which sould be enough to keep you busy for a long time.
- I must play again at DiceWars, shame on me I completly missed the human part, I'll post a review tonight or saturday if I'm a bit short.
- Didn't fill the mystery post yet, I fear noone will ever figure I did when I'll do it  >:(

@samel: I never played rogue in fact... Neither Powder though. I'll check Powder since there's a DS port. I can't find the name, but you game make me reminds of an old game (maybe on CPC or MO5, probably MO5), it was one of the first graphic rpg, the world was big for this time, it was some heroic fantasy style. I hated that game but I kept playing it... That's when I learn most os the bad words  ~sm-43.gif~
If anyone has any idea of what I'm talking about, thanx for the help  ;)

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »
@Samel: If you want to see an amazing execution of a roguelike for the DS, make sure to check out Powder. Being designed for portable consoles, he designed it with a minimal of commands and a few simple text-overlay menus. It's work beautifully too. Take a look at it, it might give you a few ideas on how to improve on yours too.
 ;)

I've tryed Powder but i dont like it ... too much graphics  ??? hehehehehehe
Take a look at DSCrawl, i LOVE IT!!!
--
Samel

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 03:53:47 AM »
Lol. Too many graphics? Are you serious? DSCrawl uses a lot too. But Powder was designed with a minimal interface that makes it the easiest of the three main DS roguelikes to use. (DSCrawl, NetHackDS and Powder)

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2008, 09:29:15 PM »
As i know http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=screenshots this is powder and it HAVE too much graphics for me.
This is a screen shot of dscrawl http://gueux-forum.net/lofiversion/index.php/t128102.html.

There are also a lot of difference in the two game:
 - powder doesn't have a good line of sight
 - dscrawl is more and more harder
 - etc

Try the two game and tell me what you think.
bye bye
--
Samel

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 01:59:18 AM »
Yeah, but DSCrawl's saving doesn't even work on the R4. How am I supposed to get into a roguelike that doesn't have any saving? You weren't kidding about it being harder. 
:'(

And when you die? You have to reset your DS. It doesn't return to a menu. Maybe Crawl has better gameplay in the long run, but all i'm saying is Powder has a much cleaner interface. You could always tone down the graphics. But the interface for moving, getting objects, using spells, etc. works far better in Powder. .. Plus the saving works too.

Offline chris28

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 01:51:04 AM »
I've played to Powder and it's very easy with stylet but i'm a nostalgic fan of Angband and i'm waiting impatiently a DS version so nice as Powder.

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 01:54:59 AM »
I was actually just discussing that with a friend last night. I just don't know if the DS has enough memory for Angband. Maybe with the FAT filesystem, if you unload the levels not currently in use, and stash them on the flash card?

Offline chris28

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 04:11:36 AM »
I suppose that it's possible : a beta version have been released here but unfortunatly this project was abandonned by the developer.

Offline CYBER_Aeon

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 04:49:24 AM »
I can't help but think it would be better to write a new roguelike from the ground up though. In my opinion (purely from an interface point of view) that Powder beats all the other roguelike projects on the DS by miles. And it's only because the game was designed with portable consoles specifically in mind. Everything can be controlled with either the stylus or the buttons, and all EASILY - Unlike Crawl's confusing array of shift keys, essentially. Or god forbid Nethack's giant keyboard.

I love a feature-rich roguelike as much as the next guy, but not at the cost of a bloated and nearly unusable interface. I would, though, like to see a roguelike with a slightly more relaxed feel than Powder. As addicting as that game is, it's VICIOUSLY difficult. It'll always have a home on my card, but i'd like to have another game where I can play it to relax, much like I used to Angband.

I like the idea of a roguelike that's difficult, but you're not as easily killed. Something that affords you time to retreat back to the safety of the surface when you start getting too battered. .. Something with a town and shops. Then you have a game where you start it up, grind through a few levels, get tired and retreat. Then you rest up, buy improved gear, etc, and grind a little deeper. Not only is this a popular mechanic in games, but it affords a massive  game duration without becoming too tedious. (Assuming it's balanced right)

I'll have to go dig up some source code from different roguelikes to tinker with, but I may try making one specifically for the DS.
 ~sm-41.gif~