Author Topic: NDS Apps Reviews (Final Update 04/04/08)  (Read 5465 times)

Offline sumiguchi

• sumiguchi
NDS Apps Reviews (Final Update 04/04/08)
« on: April 04, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
The NDS/GBA APP division of NEO SPRING COMPO 2008 (13 entries total)

Position    Project Title & Forum Link    Author   Download Link

[NDS APP] DSision     spinal      9/10
This is a flash card menu system.  It has a mac-like interface which works really well and you can control with either the stylus or keyboard.  There are hot keys to take you to preconfigured locations and start/end buttons so you can browse a lot of folders quickly. It's too bad it isn't sorted by name.

There are configurable quick links and the whole interface is skinnable.  You can change the startup sound for a skin so that your favorite mp3 starts playing but the mp3 does need to be downsampled and I think mine was mono as well but not sure if it needed to be.  It plays spinal format movies (I think...didn't test) and both mod and mp3 music though other tracker formats are missing. Its missing some features that my flashcart os has (like brightness, copy/paste files etc) but the features I use 99.9% of the time are well done in this app - plus it just looks cool.  Source has also been released!

[NDS APP] JabberDS     theli       8.5/10

This is an instant message client that is compatible with Gtalk - a pretty popular messaging system that I use on occasion.  The menu system isn't pretty but it works and makes it easy to keep track of multiple conversations.  There isn't any emoticon support and if you make a mistake, you have to erase everything you typed since to fix it because there is no cursore control.  Aside from the minor issues, the application is fast, easy to use and works very well.

[NDS APP] FAT PLAYER MIKMOD v3       Cid2Mizard       8/10

This is a nicely done music player for all formats supported by mikmod.  The interface is clean and looks nice.  The visualization is a little basic and the only button support is for play and mute.  It would be nice if you could browse your card for music files but I guess putting them all in the musics folder at least keeps them together.  A pretty well done app for fans of tracked music.

[NDS APP] TabBed      wizlon        7.5/10
This is a guitar player helper application with some nice features but isn't perfect. The tab viewer lets you browse your card and pick any file but the screen width limitation means you likely need to edit your tab sheets so they display well.  It has a metronome which is good for any instrument - but the max volume on the ds means it is hard to hear while playing an instrument.   There is also a drum loop so you can set up a beat and change the speed it plays.  There is a chord lookup and a chord browser and a media player that supports mods and mp3s.  The options page lets you change the bg and font though the default looked best to me.

There are lots of good ideas in this app but its a little a buggy here and there and it could use some better gfx and larger fonts.

[NDS APP] Spinal's Media Player...       spinal       7.5/10

Thanks for posting the sample video!  The player works pretty well but I did get some skipping here and there.  The controls were good, navigating is quite easy and having auto-bookmarks is great.  I have a personal grudge against doing video conversion but if you don't this could be useful to you. 

[NDS APP] Mediatheque DS v1.0     Cid2Mizard       7/10
This is an app you can use to organize your collection of ...whatever.  There a some specific attributes thatyou can define for each item including things like the title, your rating and if you lent it to someone.  The interface works pretty well and you can edit the information right on the ds.  I'm not really sure this is practical but if you need something like this - this will make you happy!

[NDS APP] DSBash      leinad     7/10
I never heard of bash.org until I tried this app.  It serves up funny/strange quotes and definitions.  You can bookmark your favorites and there are lots of ways to browse.  This is a fun idea - more of toy than an app really but I like it.

[NDS APP] My Project-Reno Studio Neo Compo    willreno       6/10
This is a notepad and a paint program.  The notepad supports a pinyin input system which I'd imagine is useful if you know Chinese - but have no idea how well it works - so I'm going to assume it is like the rest of the application - which is functional but doesn't have a clean interface.  The colors on the keyboard are distracting and the menus in the paint program could have been a little nicer.  Everything seemed to work pretty well though.

[NDS APP] DSF     samel       5.5/10
This is an interpreter of one of the most bizarre programming languages I've seen.  I tested a few files and the ones that just displayed output worked ok but I couldn't get one that needed input to work.  Not really a practical app or language but I dunno cause some people seem to enjoy it.

[NDS APP] Flashcart OS: N 2.1       TeenDev     5/10
This is a neatly done flashcart menu/browser but there is no game icon or game info shown so it looks more like a gba flashcart os.  This is pretty much a show stopper for me.

[NDS APP] Motion Plotter      Sektor       4/10
I guess this is more of a toy than an application but it's basically a multi color etch-a-sketch.  A child may have some fun with it but I didn't dig it much.

[NDS APP] Wee Basic 0.4     marovada        4/10
I had hard time getting a basic program to run.  Not sure if this is really a practical application but i suppose a full function basic interpreter would allow people to make some simple custom apps.  This version isn't quite there.

[NDS APP] DS-DOS *updated to .45*     wolped       3/10

Unfortunately this a very limited edition of dos that doesn't support things like dir *.nds  - in fact if you put a space after dir - it doesn't work.    I'm not really sure what the vision of this app is but this version hasn't captured my interest.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:42:47 PM by sumiguchi »

Offline Cid2Mizard

• cid2mizard.dev-fr.org
Re: NDS Apps Reviews
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »
Good reviews  :)
www.nintendomax.com 100% Hack - 0% Warez

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:46:43 AM »
Not really a practical app or language but I dunno cause some people seem to enjoy it.

It's good for brain damage  ??? heheheheheh
--
Samel
"Close the world, txen eht nepo!"
"You will never break my mind!"

Offline sumiguchi

• sumiguchi
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 12:56:31 AM »
It's good for brain damag
lol as the name would imply!!  I prefer jack daniels for my brain damaging ;)

Offline marovada

Re: NDS Apps Reviews (Final Update 04/04/08)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 08:26:24 PM »
"I had hard time getting a basic program to run."

Let me know what the problem is and I can help eg. what error message are you getting?  What program did you try?

Thanks

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:16:51 PM »
lol as the name would imply!!  I prefer jack daniels for my brain damaging ;)

~sm-43.gif~ ~sm-43.gif~ ~sm-43.gif~ HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHHA  ~sm-43.gif~  ~sm-43.gif~ ~sm-43.gif~ ~sm-43.gif~

YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!
--
Samel
"Close the world, txen eht nepo!"
"You will never break my mind!"

Offline sumiguchi

• sumiguchi
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 03:03:26 AM »
Let me know what the problem is and I can help eg. what error message are you getting?  What program did you try?
Well I was able to get the tictactoe and the sprite demo working but when I loaded the sprite demo it added some characters after the end of the file that make it error. This doesn't happen on the first file you load - but it does for every file after  ~sm-31.gif~

So then I created a hello world program:
Code: [Select]
PRINT 1 "hello world!"and well when it loaded it loaded it was
Code: [Select]
PRINT 1 "hello world!"
=0
so i delete the =0 using the in-app editor - which works pretty well btw

When I run it I get this error now:
Error: statement expected in char Position 22 near [ "hello world!" ] ~sm-39.gif~

Offline marovada

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 06:10:06 AM »
You need an end statement at the end of each program so the interpreter knows where to stop.  That is why you are getting that error.  So the correct code is:

print 1 "hello world!"
end

In order to see the text you may also need a delay - for example:

print 1 "hello world!"
for i=1 to 1000
next
end

Sorry about the loading problem.  Even though not relevant for this competition, I'll fix that in the next version.  For some reason it only started happening after I put in the neo splash screen.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 06:18:56 AM by marovada »