Author Topic: NDS/GBA APP Reviews(+top list)  (Read 21195 times)

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
Re: NDS/GBA APP Reviews(+top list)
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 05:10:37 AM »
@AshaiRey:

Well...

I felt strange by the menu design , i just couldn't understand
how everything works.

I checked the short help menu , but wasn't enough to actually understand
how im supposed to learn.

The language is really complicated , and the GUI wasn't responsive , so i gave up(and usually , i just don't so easily...)!
I felt like i spent my time for nothing...

I think you should consider re-doing the GUI , and add a help menu which explains
everything detailed.

Your application isn't user-friendly , and if you take account that we're talking
about a language-learning app , then , im sorry , but its just isn't useful...

I appreciate your time and effort that you have put into the app & all the animations
but this is a contest and someone gotta win.

Don't take everything i say to heart , it could it be my personal opinion...or "reviewer's bitching".

I understand that with few words i (probably)destroyed someone's dreams , and i also
understand how much time you have put into the app , but since i decided to write "simple,short,honest,and easy-to-read"
reviews , i'll have to go like this until the end.

The difference between me , and all authors(and i mean ALL , even newbies) is that they have offered to the
community , while i haven't....

At least i hope , with my reviews , i have offered some help tracking down bugs, or helped somehow with my ideas.

That's what i have to say , thanks. :-\
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 05:17:25 AM by Conle »

Offline AshaiRey

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »
@Conle

Thanks Conle!
because English isn't my native language i was a bit afraid that my writing was like a 'flame' to you but it really wasn't.  I can fully understand your review and i am happy with your remarks. It will help me to improve the app in the future.

Don't take everything i say to heart , it could it be my personal opinion...or "reviewer's bitching".
I know, that's why i like your review. Personal and honest.

I understand that with few words i (probably)destroyed someone's dreams , and i also understand how much time you have put into the app.
Don't worry. I made this apps for myself. I needed a flashcard tool quickly to learn the basics. If it helps anyone else i am pleased too.

Some background about the GUI and the help.
I had to make a choice back then. Will i make the GUI better en the help system more advange or will i put all the sound file in. Both couldn't be done because they couldn't fit both in the rom. So i choose for the sounds. This was one of the first programs i made in C++ and for the NDS and ever since i learned a lot. Including better memory management and how to use external files.

PS, Don't feel sad because all these remarks you get. Your reviews are a great asset for every developer. You are the 'user in the field' that tests the things that we developers find soooooo obvious

Offline Sepro

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:23 AM »
You are the 'user in the field' that tests the things that we developers find soooooo obvious

Actually the opposite is also quite true. Some users think certain features are trivial, but are in fact quite hard to implement.
In my case (DSCube) I've had a pretty hard time getting the controls to work (an additional bug(?) in the depth test made things (a lot!!) worse), after finding and tweaking a solution I ended up with controls imho better then the commercial game (Atama no Kaiten no Training: Rubik's Cube). Still some people struggle with it and blame the poor developper  :) Personally I don't mind, but I think it's obvious that some people will get frustrated by this quickly and try to 'defend' their application by 'attacking' the reviewer.

Either way Conle did a great job reviewing, maybe though but definitely fair and he gave a positive spin to negative remarks.

Offline tobiasbp

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 02:55:41 AM »
Either way Conle did a great job reviewing, maybe though but definitely fair and he gave a positive spin to negative remarks.

I agree, I'm sure we all do!

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 02:44:06 AM »

Thanks guys , and sorry for replying sooooo late! ::sm-07.gif::

Im also glad that you could point out the most interesting part of my review! ::sm-12.gif::

In my case (DSCube) I've had a pretty hard time getting the controls to work (an additional bug(?) in the depth test made things (a lot!!) worse),
after finding and tweaking a solution I ended up with controls imho better then the commercial game (Atama no Kaiten no Training: Rubik's Cube)

I was really impressed by how responsive were the controls ( IIRC i gave you positive rating just for this! ).
Your game had everything , i mean , everything that requires the core of such a game.
Only more graphics , and some background music is missing , and of course a background...
Also some particle effects when linking 3 or more cubes would be more than welcome...

Don't worry. I made this apps for myself. I needed a flashcard tool quickly to learn the basics.

I hope in the next contest you will have ready an improved version , for all who're interested!...

PS: @ALL: And don't forget that Dr.Neo & his team will take the final decision.!

Offline Sepro

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 03:21:44 AM »

I was really impressed by how responsive were the controls ( IIRC i gave you positive rating just for this! ).
Your game had everything , i mean , everything that requires the core of such a game.
Only more graphics , and some background music is missing , and of course a background...
Also some particle effects when linking 3 or more cubes would be more than welcome...

Hmm, particle effects... that is a great idea, thx. Since they require mostly programming and not as much art. And I'm really a lousy artist :(

(the thing about the controls is just an example of a remark I got a few times eg. in the other review here and was a proper example to make my point. In your review you were indeed pleased by the controls)

I really wonder when the final results will be in.

Offline tobiasbp

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 03:33:01 AM »
I really wonder when the final results will be in.

I'm sure they are to be announced on the 20th.

Offline Conle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 10:30:44 PM »
No one  really knows... ::sm-11.gif:: ::sm-10.gif::