Author Topic: ArrPirate's Reviews of the PSP  (Read 8878 times)

Offline arrpirate

ArrPirate's Reviews of the PSP
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:20:17 AM »
PSP Apps:

downPSP:

This is a really nice program. The color scheme is pleasant and I like the logo. Also, the user interface is a nice mixture of simple and easy to navigate. I like it. It just seems to work. I will be keeping this on my PSP.

I hope it gets updated to allow for downloading and installing software. As it is, it's just a directory for what homebrew is out there. Also, it'd be nice if there was a way to filter what homebrew you see by language.

PSP Console:

I installed this properly, I enabled it in my recovery menu, everything. When I try to use it as directed, it doesn't work. I press 'select' and my vsh menu opens up. I looked at the screenshots and it looks nice, I just wish I could get it to work.

Apparently I didn't install this properly. I reinstalled it and I tested it out. Quite nice. The best part is tetris. Tetris on a very wide screen moving very fast. Had me yelling and cursing and having a lot of fun. I enjoyed this app.

pag3:

I don't know how useful this is. Why would you want to make a website on the PSP?  The system's too limited for that kind of stuff. Anyway, I tried it out. The interface is a bit confusing. It's not immediately obvious what it all does and I was unable to make it do much of anything.

XMB Shell:

The installer is a bit scary. It doesn't tell you where it's going to install stuff until you tell it you definitely want to install. There was a moment where I was going, "Wait... will this break my system?"

The interface is nice-ish, but the choice of colors for the text is unfortunate. Blue over a blue/green background makes things hard to read.

It seems to be the same functionality as the regular shell for the PSP, except the controls are not as smooth (you have to use the shoulder buttons, not just left and right) and it's less pretty.

DAPESi:

Ok. I wanted to like this. I'm an artist. The idea of having a doodle pad on my PSP was appealing to me. I load it and the interface is easy enough to use.

The deal breaker was that there's no diagonal. It's all the fun of drawing on an etch-a-sketch, which is great if that's what you're looking for, but I wanted to make a smooth circle, which is impossible on this.

TimeTrainer:

This might be useful to some people, but it wasn't to me. I could see the potential for those this program was written for. The are only some things I would change. For example, I would put up a help screen describing what this is, how to use it properly, etc.

prxutility++:

The splash is kind ugly and it takes way too long. I just want to try to get into the program, not stare at a bouncy thing that serves no purpose. Also, there was very little time for me to see what was on the splash.

Yet another scary installer. Tell me what is going to happen before you install stuff to my PSP!

I didn't find how this was terribly useful.

PSP Dictionary:

I couldn't review this, the download link was dead.

Ordering, from best to worst:

1. downPSP
2. PSP Console
3. TimeTrainer
4. DAPESi
5. XMBShell
6. pag3
7. PSP Dictionary
8. prxutility++

----------------------

PSP Games:

Crazy Gravity Portable:

This game is fun! The art is 'ok'. The colors could be better. There's a lot of clashing. Other than that, it's fun! I like it a lot. I'll be keeping it on my psp.

I like the concept, I like the way the physics feel. The only thing I don't like is that your ship rotates to far with every press of the shoulder buttons.

Ragdoll Cannon:

This is an ok game. Reminds me of the flash game. The physics feel a bit off. My ragdolls seem to slide on forever with no friction. It's ok, but nothing more.

Apollonia:

Loaded up to the main menu and then locked up. I can't review it.

Pong:

It's pong. With semi-annoying music and a very distracting and ugly visualization behind it. It is not fun. I do not like it.

Agenaworld:

Seems to be similar to asteroids. Has vector graphics and the music is not too great. I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't my thing.

TibiaPSP:

The graphics are good in this game's menu, but the graphics in the game itself are only so-so. I found it kind of confusing and I couldn't figure out how to do most of the stuff I think I was supposed to be able to do, like get into combat.

Asterz:

This is a fun little twist on the classic Asteroids game. It's fun, though the controls do make this game a bit hard to play. Also, the scale is difficult. The size of your ship and the size of the asteroids means that it is too easy to go flying off one side of the screen and onto the other.

asterSpace3D:

I couldn't get the download link to work. Either it was dead or just super laggy. I don't know.

GNAR PONG:

This game is very hard for me to play. The colors are very distracting. Distracting to the point that when the game started I wasn't even aware of it until the enemy had already scored five points on me. This is not a fun game.

PSPReversi:

This is a pretty good game of reversi. Nothing more, nothing less. It does what it's supposed to do. The graphics are a bit bland, though.

PopBlocks:

This game crashed. I can't review it.

EarthInvasion:

I didn't really get this game. It's ugly, and the goal seems to be... I don't know. It's a silly game. You're this green ball trying to dodge the blue balls and get into a UFO and sometimes there's cars involved. It seems built for grade schoolers.

Wagic:

Oh, I love this game. So much fun. I used to play the card game when I was a lot younger. This is awesome. I somehow wish it was more like the original PC game, though :D Moving around that glitch map, trying to win new cards from defeating monsters. This is the best game, ever. Well, I exagerate, but definitely the best game in this category.

Ordering from the best to the worst:

1. Wagic
2. Crazy Gravity Portable
3. PSPReversi
4. Asterz
5. Ragdoll Cannon
6. TibiaPSP
7. Pong
8. Agenaworld
9. Earth Invasion
10. GNAR PONG
11. asterSpace3D
12. PopBlocks
13. Apollonia
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:42:32 AM by arrpirate »

Offline Hotter

Re: ArrPirate's Reviews of the PSP
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:52:47 AM »
You should read how to install PSPconsole, I have writen that in my program post. I guess you skiped point to disable "VSH menu":
In recovery menu disable VSH menu (Recovery Menu > Configuration > VSH Menu (disabled)).

Offline arrpirate

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:34:07 AM »
I'll check it out and edit my review, if I can get it working. I was reviewing lots of software at the time. Sorry. Thanks for the post!

Offline arrpirate

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:44:27 AM »
I edited my review. Thanks for pointing this out and I'm sorry about that. You have a good little program.

Offline pspflashsystem

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:44:02 AM »
Hi arrpirate :),
I read your post and I was surprized when you said:
Yet another scary installer. Tell me what is going to happen before you install stuff to my PSP!

I didn't find how this was terribly useful.
No problem if you don't understand but I want to explain you how to use my app if you want:
after installing my prx, YOU MUST ENABLE MY PRX IN THE RECOVERY MODE :)  after use L+note (you can edit all buttons used in prxutility++ in configuration.ini) buttons in XMB or game to see the buttons you can use to do a lot of things such as a file explorer, battery informations, a text writer,....
I have written all this in the readme.txt so if you want to read this :)

Here some of screenshots (for the version 6.0 but 7.0 is the same except that it's more optimized and I solved a lot of bugs):
The help menu (it's very useful if you forgot some buttons ;))

Other menus:

prxutility++ allows you to know when your battery is low, it does like hold+ and cxmb (yeh prxutility++ allows you to customize some of flash0 files (         opening_plugin.rco;
         topmenu_plugin.rco;
         topmenu_icon.rco;
         osk_utility.rco;
         osk_plugin_500.rco;if you are in 5.00 M33
         impose_plugin.rco;
         sysconf_plugin.rco;
         system_plugin.rco;
         system_plugin_fg.rco;
         gameboot.pmf;
system_plugin_bg.rco;))
and a lot lot of other things...

After, for asterSpace3D here a download link it will probably work :D:

http://pspflashsystem.freehost10.com/asterSpace3D.zip

Best regards;
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:35:28 AM by pspflashsystem »

Offline Gefa

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:55:23 AM »
Hi. Download PSPDictionary from: http://gefa.altervista.org/PSPDictionary/PSPDictionary_v2.4.1.zip (copy it in the address bar).
For the PopBlocks question. You have not copied the python directory in your memory stick.

Offline carlosgs

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 02:35:26 AM »
Thank you for the review ArrPirate!

Now i'ts able to download and install things ;-)

The problem with the languages in downPSP is that the web from where I peak the homebrew is spanish, so the descriptions are in spanish.

Thanks again ;-)