Author Topic: DSDice  (Read 15902 times)

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
DSDice
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Nickname: M. Lucanius
Project name : DSDice
Division : NDS/GBA Game
Original entry : YES
Support Motion : NO
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10 : NO

Description:
A Yahtzee clone with, hopefully, a good bit of extra options...

Box art:

download formatted version for DSision

Screen shots:

Features:

* complete game with accurate rules.

* high scores for up to 7 places.

* aesthetic appeal... hopefully

* re-playability.

Known bugs:

* can only replay about 30 times... then it crashes. * I hope

* only allows 7 high scores.

* sometimes confuses the selection boxes.

What still needs worked on (v0.2):

* sound * too much work. not needed.

* themes (only proof of concept for now... theme 2 is incomplete)

(work no longer in progress)

download v1.2
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:22:28 AM by M. Lucanius »
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline LaPatateInc

Re: DSDice
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »
Seems really nice. I love Yahtzee =D

Wow ! It's really nice ! It will be awesome when completed.
For now, could you just light up a bit the dice when you click them ? It's a tad too hard to see if you clicked it.

Offline Gaz

• DS Homebrew
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:32:19 AM »
It's funny you should do a clone of Yahtzee  ;) I entered a Yahtzee clone in the neo-comp last year, it was called 5 Dice  :)

The graphics are nice; has a Web 2.0 feel to it.  The interface is a little hard to use; but I managed to get there.  I am not sure I like the holding of the dice after you have rolled; as you have to de-select them if you change your mind and go for another score type.

I have noticed a bug in the scoring, 3 of a kind, my score was 27. I had 4 sixes in my hand, but already had 4 of a kind.  When I selected 3 of a kind, the score showed up as 27 instead of 18.

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 08:45:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  :)

@Gaz

It's funny you should say it's funny I should make a clone of Yahtzee. 8)

I have it on my PDA and so I got to thinking, someone should make a clone of it for the DS. It just so happens that halfway through my project I actually decided to check and see if someone had. Ironically, when I did look, The one I found was yours, Gaz.

As for the die selection... perhaps a user preference in the options menu in the future?

Thank you for testing my game, by the way. However, I think the scoring is accurate. I am aware of the existence of other versions of the rules but the source I used was www.yahtzee.org.uk. In this version, a three and a four of a kind score the total of the dice. If it were to score only the set of a kind, your score of 27 would be 24 instead. Therefore, and at least according to the site I used, you should have scored the four sixes plus the fifth die (a three I assume).

By the way, which part of the interface was not so good?
Thanks again for your feedback :)

@LaPatateInc

Thanks. Which set of dice were you referring to? Theme 1, 2, or 3?
1 is the original, 2 is incomplete, and 3 is the best... in my opinion. :)
I don't expect the themes to have all of the kinks ironed out for quite a while, but I'll keep working on it.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Offline LaPatateInc

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:47:40 AM »
In facts, all theme are a bit hard to see which one you picked. Maybe put a color more different, as Red or Green.

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:53:01 AM »
Quote from: LaPatateInc
In facts, all theme are a bit hard to see which one you picked. Maybe put a color more different, as Red or Green.
~sm-34.gif~
lol. Yeah I guess that's true. I guess I like the glossy black look too much. I think I might experiment with green.

Offline LaPatateInc

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 08:55:07 AM »
~sm-34.gif~
lol. Yeah I guess that's true. I guess I like the glossy black look too much. I think I might experiment with green.

What about putting green with those you want to keep and red to those you want to throw away ? It would be easier for the eye to play :)

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:42 AM »
Quote from: LaPatateInc
... red to those you want to throw away ?
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.  ::sm-16.gif::

Offline LaPatateInc

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »
I was not clear enough, sorry.
You roll the dice, then chose which one you want to reroll. The others, you keep them right ? The ones you want to keep would have a green "shadow" and the ones you want to reroll would have a red shadow. It would be easier to see which one you want to keep and which one you want to reroll.
Clearer ? =D

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 09:12:43 AM »
Wow! That's ingenious! I'll have to work on that and add it as a menu option... may take me a few days though.

thanks!  ::sm-29.gif::

Offline Gaz

• DS Homebrew
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »
I will reply on this tomoz, a little late here  ::sm-01::

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 11:14:32 AM »
oops. Um... the dummy 123 scores weren't supposed to be in there.  :-[

updated

Offline Gaz

• DS Homebrew
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 11:40:02 PM »
The scoring for 3ofakind, 4ofakind is incorrect; you add up the values of the 3/4 dice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahtzee

The interface was the Rolls on the dice, I was a little confused at first, to how this was working; Then I realised you where counting down the Rolls, 3 , 2, then 1.  Probably with my own version where it starts from Roll 1, then 2 / 3 is why I was confused.

I liked the 2nd skin  8)

The selection of the scores were a little confusing too; I liked the idea of showing the score for each selection; but the dots where confusing to me at first, instruction are needed.

My 5 Dice, upper scoring is slightly different to the orginal Yahtzee  ::sm-02:: Oh well, I will have it as a feature :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:00:33 AM by Gaz »

Offline M. Lucanius

• Sola Scriptura
    • visit Wretched!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 07:34:58 AM »
Quote from: Gaz
The scoring for 3ofakind, 4ofakind is incorrect; you add up the values of the 3/4 dice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahtzee

Um... but the site you referred to agrees with my scoring.

It says

Three-Of-A-Kind: At least three dice showing the same face = Sum of all dice

Four-Of-A-Kind: At least four dice showing the same face = Sum of all dice

How am I incorrect?

Offline Gaz

• DS Homebrew
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 07:56:04 AM »
When it says (Sum Of All Dice) on 3ofakind / 4ofakind, I think it means Sum of all Equal dice.

Looking further down it says:-

Succeeding Yahtzees can be scored to the other categories except Two Pair, Full House, and Small Straight/Large Straight under the same scoring restrictions (for example, a Yahtzee of sixes can only score 12 under One Pair, 18 under Three-of-a-Kind, 24 under Four-of-a-Kind, and 30 under either Sixes or Chance.) There are no Yahtzee bonuses.

I think I am right on this?