Author Topic: Contest: NDS GAME - Earth Invaders ! - By: Smealum  (Read 9045 times)

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
Contest: NDS GAME - Earth Invaders ! - By: Smealum
« on: August 11, 2005, 03:06:10 AM »
Hello !  :)
I'm smealum and here's my new DS game, Earth Invaders !

Description :
First of all, Earth Invaders is a Shoot em Up game.
Nothing exceptionel in the game's "conecpt" or graphics (even if combo made a good job :) ), everything's in the gameplay.
In fact, for me, the most important thing for a DS game, with all the possibilitys that DS offers, it's not the graphics or anything else, it's the gameplay and his orignality.
That's why my Earth Invaders game - even if it's a "simple" Shoot Them Up game - uses all the DS's capacitys.
Yes, that's right, it uses the double screen, the stylus, the microphone and all the buttons.(it even uses sound and 3D for the intro cinematic !)

/!\ All my game is original, i have not stoled any concepts or graphics to other games or so.

Before playing my game, make sure you have read the "How to play, it is VERY important to know what all the buttons the stylus and the microphone are for.

Well anyway, here's how to play(you can find this in my readme file) :

General :
- Press "Right button" or "A" : Go to the right
- Press "Lefy button" or "Y" : Go to the left
- Touch the screen : Shoot
- "R" or "L" : Bullet time (not limited in Blaster Survival mode)
- Blow on the Microphone : give more altitude to the shield

Special "Blaster Mode" keys :
- "Up" or "X" : Pass in powerful shot mode
- "Down" or "B" : Pass in normal shot mode

Then, the game modes :

"Normal Mode" :
Like the name indicates this is a normal mode, see ennemis shoot at them and win. It's a little bit like a training for Survival modes.

"Survival Mode" :
Like the name indicates it, this is a mode where you have to survive : your spaceship is quite weak but you still have to face to bad guys !
!NOTE! : This mode has an ininite automatic level generation, so your goal is to do good scores and to beat them after !
!NOTE! : Your scores are saved on GBA cartridge

"Blaster Survival Mode" :
This is almost exactly the same than Survival Mode....except, ennemis are much more powerful....and you too !
In this mode you have to explode ennemi ships by using your maximum power !
In this mode you get :
- Infinite Bullet Time !
- Infinite power shoot ! (choose it with up or x button)
!NOTE! : This mode has an ininite automatic level generation, so your goal is to do good scores and to beat them after !

And few other things :

This window allows you to visualise the best score you've made in Survival Modes. (because they are saved on GBA cartridge).

Special thanks to : Combo(GFX), Mollusk(HELP), Gallynet(HELP), Birslip(HELP),
Sylfurd(Help finding SFX(i have a sound cart problem on my PC),Delfare(3D help),
YodaNC((Little :p ) 3D Help)....etc :p

I hope i didn't forget Anything :)
If i did i'll edit, enjoy !
(the rom is in the post just under :p )

« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 01:04:39 AM by smealum »

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
Re: Contest: NDS GAME - Earth Invaders ! - By: Smealum
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 03:07:37 AM »
Here are the roms :
- .nds : Emulator/Wifi, does NOT work on emulator and hasn't been tested on wifi
- .ds.gba : Works perfectly on neoflash(this i'm sure) and on other carts(didn't test) i hope

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 03:59:07 AM »
Here's the readme.txt  ;D

---------------------------------------
      Earth Invaders v1.0

Coding by : Smealum
Gfx : Combo'               

NeoFlash Powered

---------------------------------------

Greets to Playeradvance.org !

- 3 Different modes added
- 4 powerups added
- Highscore Save added
- SplashScreens(win and lose) added
- Microphone support added
- Shield added
- 3D Intro
- Sound ! :D
- New ennemys

General :
- Press "Right button" or "A" : Go to the right
- Press "Lefy button" or "Y" : Go to the left
- Touch the screen : Shoot
- "R" or "L" : Bullet time (not limited in Blaster Survival mode)
- Blow on the Microphone : give more altitude to the shield

Special "Blaster Mode" keys :
- "Up" or "X" : Pass in powerful shot mode
- "Down" or "B" : Pass in normal shot mode

"Normal Mode" :
Like the name indicates this is a normal mode, see ennemis shoot at them and win. It's a little bit like a training for Survival modes.

"Survival Mode" :
Like the name indicates it, this is a mode where you have to survive : your spaceship is quite weak but you still have to face to bad guys !

"Blaster Survival Mode" :
This is almost exactly the same than Survival Mode....except, ennemis are much more powerful....and you too !
In this mode you have to explode ennemi ships by using your maximum power !
In this mode you get :
- Infinite Bullet Time !
- Infinite power shoot ! (choose it with up or x button)

This window allows you to visualise the best score you've made in Survival Modes. (because they are saved on GBA cartridge).

I hope i didn't forget anything.

Special thanks to : Combo(GFX), Mollusk(HELP), Gallynet(HELP), Birslip(HELP),
Sylfurd(Help finding SFX(i have a sound cart problem on my PC),Delfare(3D help),
YodaNC((Little :p ) 3D Help)....etc :p

Don't forget the most important will playing : Have Fun and enjoy !

Offline Darkmath

• mangatruite
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 04:43:49 AM »
well, look great... but most important, why am I not in the special thanks!!!!???

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 04:57:54 AM »
well, look great... but most important, why am I not in the special thanks!!!!???
Well you are..... you're the "etc."  :P
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 05:19:23 AM by smealum »

Offline gally

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 06:09:29 AM »
nice one smealum :D

Offline rize

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 01:39:19 PM »
Are you really 13?  If so you have a future ahead of you :)  Mostly because your head's in the right place.  Not too many people here seem to be thinking much about gameplay imo ...  However I think you over did it.

Look at the masters (Nintendo mostly).  A good DS game does not have to use every feature, and in fact, in some cases it is not good for the game. For example, my puzzle game originally used both screens and the field was extra tall, however I found that it was difficult to use both screens together while playing so I moved the game to the bottom screen and put some information on the top screen.  Plus if your game uses touch input like mine, you can't use the top screen because you can't touch it (unless the gameplay is significantly altered).

In an action game such as yours, blowing into the mic is difficult without moving the screen close to your head and then its hard to see (especially when you need to watch both screens).  Also, if you play the game in a noisy environment, the mic doesn't work right (I was playing it in my living room while having a drink and listening to music with my brother; the base from his stereo was making my shield go up; I had to come back in my room to play the game properly).

Anyway, this is cool stuff  8)  I just think you need to think your features and gameplay through a bit more rather than trying to use EVERY feature of the DS.  Step back a bit and only use what's useful for the game design.

back to the game design, there needs to be more feedback.  the player's ship should blink or flash when it takes damage.  there should be a similar feedback when you strike enemy ships.  it feels like my bullets aren't doing anything because of this and i feel like I'm not taking damage either (until I die).  [listens] oh .. .there ARE noises.  well I can't hear them because the music is too loud

btw, cool music whoever did it!

anyway, nice work!

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 03:50:46 PM »
In an action game such as yours, blowing into the mic is difficult without moving the screen close to your head and then its hard to see
That's the point  ;D
Because if you could always use the shield, you'ld always be protected and their would be no fun at all :)
Are you really 13?
Yep :P

anyway, nice work!

Offline rize

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 11:43:34 PM »
I think it is generally poor design to restrict the player's use of a powerful ability by making the interface physically difficult.  It limits who can play your game well and in what physical condition they need to be in.  Additionally, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that blowing should increase your shields (at least in Yoshi's Touch and Go, blowing whisks away the clouds you've drawn which makes perfect sense within the game's context).

The classical ways of limiting the use of a powerful ability are input sequences (special moves in fighting games), simply limiting the number of uses (say 3 shield uses to start with additional uses appearing as powerups), and counter balancing systems (for example, as you use your shield your defense increases but your attack power decreases).

If you used the second or third methods I suggested, you could use the mic as a button to simply activate the shield by having the player say the word "shields!" (if that's the only word used, you wouldn't have to do any real voice recognition of course, it would be programatically similar to what you're currently doing).

Naturally there are a number of other ways to implement such a feature and you might even consider leaving the feature out and changing the rest of the gameplay accordingly.  Anyway, thanks for considering my opinion of your work.  Good luck in the comp!

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 12:32:32 AM »
I think it is generally poor design to restrict the player's use of a powerful ability by making the interface physically difficult.  It limits who can play your game well and in what physical condition they need to be in.  Additionally, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that blowing should increase your shields (at least in Yoshi's Touch and Go, blowing whisks away the clouds you've drawn which makes perfect sense within the game's context).

The classical ways of limiting the use of a powerful ability are input sequences (special moves in fighting games), simply limiting the number of uses (say 3 shield uses to start with additional uses appearing as powerups), and counter balancing systems (for example, as you use your shield your defense increases but your attack power decreases).

If you used the second or third methods I suggested, you could use the mic as a button to simply activate the shield by having the player say the word "shields!" (if that's the only word used, you wouldn't have to do any real voice recognition of course, it would be programatically similar to what you're currently doing).

Naturally there are a number of other ways to implement such a feature and you might even consider leaving the feature out and changing the rest of the gameplay accordingly.  Anyway, thanks for considering my opinion of your work.  Good luck in the comp!
Well, I don't really agree with you.
First, "It limits who can play your game well and in what physical condition they need to be in."; it's like this for any game, if your not in good physical conditions, you won't play the game well, it's normal, my game just asks a little bit more. And this is wanted, the game "degrades" a little bit your physical conditions instead degrading a small number on the screen, it gives a bit of "realism" to the game : imagine your the pilot that's being shooted, you think you'ld be in very good conditions ? NO !
That's what i want, it's give you the role of the pilot by "degrading" a bit your physicall conditions and get you tired.....like the pilot gets freaked out, tired and hot in his small spaceship ! :)
Of course, your vision can be totally different than mine, buts that's how i concepted the game design.
Secondly, "it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that blowing should increase your shields" => well read what's below ;p
Third, "simply limiting the number of uses (say 3 shield uses to start with additional uses appearing as powerups), " => No, cause i don't want to make classic things, i want to do original and fun, i want to innovate. If nobody innovates, how is the video game world going to evoluate ?
Fourth, "Anyway, thanks for considering my opinion of your work." => Your welcome ;D

PS : "Good luck in the comp!" => thanks, i tried your Flux, very nice :)

Offline rize

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 04:33:07 AM »
Thank you for trying Flux :)

And I'm very glad you think so highly of innovation.  However, existing ideas are very useful.  The trick is to know when to use them and when to innovate.  You have used existing ideas in your game already (for example, the gameplay is roughly similar to classic arcade shooters like galaga and space invaders; as I'm sure you know considering the name). 

Your original ideas are in how the game controls and the gameplay balance.  You shouldn't be original *just* for the sake of being original.  Be original when it improves the gameplay.  sometimes an old idea is just what's needed.  As long as you have other original ideas in your game, the overall game would be considered original.

There's a lot more to good gameplay than original ideas.  And it's *very* important to get the opinions of other people (lots of other people, not just me).  It's especially important to get the opinions of the people that don't like your game.  Even if you made a game that 9 out of 10 people like, the 1 out of 10 that don't like it will tell you valuable things about how you might make it enjoyable for the people who don't like it yet.  If you rely entirely on your own ideas, you'll probably end up with a game that is most well suited for only yourself.  That's why I wish more people would comment on Flux.  I was hoping that by commenting on everyone else's games, I would inspire them to comment on mine (even if it's just out of spite :D )

Offline Sodeju

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 05:52:07 AM »
It's very impressive, that a kid of 13 years old can make something like this. Although, remove the info about you in the intro. It's cool that you created it and that you are 13, but don't try to 'pimp' with it :P

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 06:09:47 AM »
It's very impressive, that a kid of 13 years old can make something like this. Although, remove the info about you in the intro. It's cool that you created it and that you are 13, but don't try to 'pimp' with it :P
I had to put something with the splash of my graphist ;D