Author Topic: BranMuffin's NDS reviews!  (Read 4353 times)

Offline BranMuffin

BranMuffin's NDS reviews!
« on: August 25, 2009, 04:27:59 AM »
BranMuffin's NDS game reviews!

My reviews are evaluated on two of Dr.Neo's rules:

[1] All original entries will get +5 "original score " , but the second entry (same project from last contest but improved, and just enter one more time again ) will don't get any "original score" in this contest.
[7] If your project can support NEO Motion function, then you will get +5 "Motion Score".
[8] Since "original" and "motion" are +5 what scale are the games supposed to be rated out of? For example:
80/100 +5 to make 85/100, here +5 is worth 5%.
20/30 +5 to make 25/30, here +5 is worth around 15%.  --- hum.... it should be worth 5% more, like x 1.05

Alien Puzzle

An original game developed by GEMISIS. Although the graphics may look a little out of work, this game is extremely innovative in its gameplay and was not a remake of any other game. Including a map editor, this game demonstrates the effort required in a competition such as this. It does not show as a rushed product for an easy win. If you enjoy puzzle games, you will enjoy playing this. I had a great time playing this, hope to see more!

Effort: 7/10
Usefulness: 3/5
Creativity: 4/5
DSMotion: 0/1.5
Original Submission: 1.5/1.5
Total: 15.5/23

Around The Clock

A classic port of the Darts minigame developed by Gaz. A very nice port of the game onto the DS, I had a fun with this. However, it is a minigame, something that may not be played for an large amount of time. Besides the high score system, this also does not seem to have a great deal of replay value in it. If you enjoy playing mini-games to sit back and relax with, this is a game for you. It lacked bugs and I had an enjoyable few minutes playing this.

Effort: 6/10
Creativity: 2/5
Total: 12.5/23

Bouncy Marble V2

A classic port of the Icy Tower minigame developed by leinad. Also a very nice port of the game onto the DS, I had a fun with this, more so than Around The Clock. However, it is also a minigame, something that may not be played for an large amount of time. The online high score system allow you to play this and compete internationally, giving this game a high replay value. If you enjoy playing mini-games to sit back and relax with, this is a game for you.

Effort: 8/10
Usefulness: 4/5
Original Submission: 0/1.5
Total: 14/23

DawnSeekers

A genuine first person shooter on the NDS developed by smealum, using 3D models and textures created by lobo, this game is TRULY the epitome of the potential that NDS homebrew has. Insane effort and art were put in this game, as well a large amount of programming involved. However, this is still a demo and not in completion, therefore Usefulness points will be deducted from the score. If you enjoy first-person shooter thriller games, you will enjoy this.

Effort: 9/10
Usefulness: 2/5
Total: 16.5/23

DronS V1.6

A port of the classic game developed by leinad, Tron, DronS uses 3D in order to create a fun enjoyable game that everyone can enjoy. With online multiplayer, this game allows you to fight against peers online, making for a great experienced online and offline. If you enjoy minigames to sit back and relax with, this is the game for you.

DSMotion: 1.5/1.5
Original Submission: 0/1.5
Total: 14.5/23

DSDice

A port of the classic game developed by M Lucanius, Yahtzee, DSDice incorporates a high score system as well as many other bonus features. However, the replayability of this homebrew is limited as it is just a minigame. The GFX used in this game, however, is very well-made. If you enjoy minigames to sit back and relax with, this is the game for you.

Total: 13.5/23

Five_Error

A port of the classic game developed by Tiwaz, Spot The Difference. A fairly simple game, with a game system that could be played using just a paper and pen. However, the replayability included in this homebrew is high, due to the amount of images (100+) and therefore can be played several times. If you enjoy minigames to sit back and relax with, this is the game for you.

Hangman

A port of the classic game developed by Tassu, Hangman. Also a fairly simple game, with a game system that could also be played using just a paper and pen. There is no high score system involved or anything that could account for replayability and therefore cannot be evaluated with the fairness of a replayable game. If you enjoy minigames to sit back and relax with, this is the game for you.

Total: 11.5/23

Lights Off!

A port of the classic game developed by arrpirate, Lights Off. The GFX used in this homebrew is exemplary, very old fashioned. It includes two modes in which it can be played, a decent homebrew feature. However, there is no high score system involved or anything that could account for replayability and therefore cannot be evaluated with the fairness of a replayable game. If you enjoy minigames to sit back and relax with, this is the game for you.

OMG WTF

A port of the classic game developed by arrpirate, Tetris. The GFX used in this homebrew looks similar to the 16 bit graphics used on the SNES and other old school consoles. It includes three modes in which it can be played. However, there is no high score system involved or anything that could account for replayability and therefore cannot be evaluated with the fairness of a replayable game. If you enjoy minigames to sit back and relax with, this is the game for you.

Operation Libra

An escape the room game designed and developed by B12CORE. The art was drawn by ALGraphics, an incredible work of ingenuity and design with challenging puzzles and a compelling storyline. Although this game was very well designed and produced, the genre of escape-the-room is a very meager one with a small demographic. Therefore, I will be reducing the usefulness score to 3. However, I managed to play this for an hour and thirty-five minutes, a great feat for a homebrew game in terms of gameplay hours. If you enjoy solving puzzles and playing escape the room games, this is the game for you.

Creativity: 5/5
DSMotion: 1.5/1.5
Total: 20/23

Seek And Recharge

An original game developed by samel. The GFX used in this homebrew looks similar to the 16 bit graphics used on the SNES and other old school consoles. It includes two modes, with 100 levels, in which it can be played as well as a custom level maker. If you enjoy minigames to sit back and relax with, this is the game for you.

Total: 17.5/23

Stargrazer

A clone of the classic game developed by SwedishFish. The GFX's style is very variable, with some images looking very bold and clean, while others looking aliased and dirty. There are two game modes as well as a high scores menu for replayability. If you enjoy shoot em up games to spam buttons to and blow up enemies, this is the game for you.

TouchRight! - Featuring Terra the Pessimist!

An original game designed by hillbilly. This game uses state-of-the-art multi-touch software, a feature that is rarely seen in homebrew games. Although the gameplay is quite simple, it can be said that this is a demo of the multitouch function.

Creativity: 3/5

Xplosive Combat

A clone of the classic game developed by fooshi. The GFX's style, unlike Stargrazer, is very unified, with the graphics all looking like a set with the same style. If you enjoy shoot em up games to spam buttons to and blow up enemies, this is the game for you.

You Have To Burn The Rope DS

A port of the popular flash game developed by LaPatateInc, You have to burn the Rope. The GFX used in this game is very pixelated, giving it a bold feel. Although there is only one stage and it is a quick port of the game, it demonstrates the potential of ported game in the NDS homebrew scene. There are also achievements to receive, giving this game some replay value. If you enjoy minigames to sit back and relax with, this is the game for you.

Total: 15.5/23

Final Results:

1. Operation Libra - 20/23
2. Seek And Recharge - 17.5/23
3. Dawnseekers - 16.5/23
4. You Have To Burn The Rope DS - 15.5/23
5. Alien Puzzle - 15.5/23
6. Xplosive Combat - 14.5/23
7. DronS V1.6 - 14.5/23
8. Five_Error - 14.5/23
9. Bouncy Marble - 14/23
10. DSDice - 13.5/23
11. Stargrazer - 13.5/23
12. OMG WTF - 13.5/23
13. Around The Clock - 12.5/23
14. Lights Off! - 12.5/23
15. TouchRight! - Featuring Terra the Pessimist! - 12.5/23
16. Hangman - 11.5/23
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:42:53 PM by BranMuffin »

Offline smealum

• Neo-Newbie
    • Smea's DevBlog
Re: BranMuffin's NDS reviews!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:40:29 AM »
Nice review. :)
Just one thing though, according to http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5003.0.html :
7. Since "original" and "motion" are +5 what scale are the games supposed to be rated out of? For example:
80/100 +5 to make 85/100, here +5 is worth 5%.
20/30 +5 to make 25/30, here +5 is worth around 15%.  --- hum.... it should be worth 5% more, like x 1.05
So original and motion should each be more like 1/30 instead of 5/30, might want to fix that.  8)

Offline BassAceGold

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:45:23 AM »
Usefulness in games? Should be measured in fun factor  ::sm-12.gif::

Offline samel

• SpaghettiDSDev
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 05:27:36 AM »
Before anyone starts to read ... these are only my personal thoughts, hope these can help people get better and make better things.
Don't feel i'm attacking you, it's not my goal!

First of all: Thanks for all the review!!!!

Can i ask why a demo [because DawnSeekers it's NOT a game] come in the first 3?
I mean, what you write about DawnSeekers it's true:

"using 3D models and textures created by lobo, this game is TRULY the epitome of the potential that NDS homebrew has. Insane effort and art were put in this game, as well a large amount of programming involved."

But this: "If you enjoy first-person shooter thriller games, you will enjoy this." is NOT true.

Usefulness: 5/5, so you mean two levels, no save and some 3D gfx make a usefull game? Remember that this has to be compared to all other game.

@smealum: I don't mean that your demo could not be a GREAT first class game, but for now ... it's only demo, nothing more. You made a GREAT work to reach this point, my very compliments.

edit:
Reading more i found some strange things:

All game:
"If you enjoy playing TYPE-games to sit back and relax with, this is a game for you." it's a good final sentence, but if you put it in all review then it lose its meaning

Alien Puzzle:
"this game demonstrates the effort required in a competition such as this" and then only Effort: 8/10 ?

DronS:
"With online multiplayer, this game allows you to fight against peers online, making for a great experienced online and offline." and then only Usefulness: 3/5 ?

SeekAndRecharge:
Creativity: 4/5, it's 100% designed by me, no other similar game exist.

Stargrazer:
"There are two game modes as well as a high scores menu for replayability." and then only Usefulness: 3/5 ?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:52:55 AM by samel »
--
Samel
"Close the world, txen eht nepo!"
"You will never break my mind!"

Offline Gaz

• DS Homebrew
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
This is a terrible review and this isn't in regards to just my own software.  :(

[Effort], this game is complete; the game; the php script for creating the scores online etc, lots and lots of effort to ensure there are as few bugs as possible.  The game itself is not highly complicated; but it does have a reasonable amount of complexity.

[Creativity], The image of the dart board on the main screen and game screen I had taken from Wikipedia, and also the image of a large darts; however, I edited them all, pixel by pixel (effort).  And all the graphics are my own.  The music was also an original composition by myself.  The ideas in the game are also very creative; how many darts games have been written within the DS homebrew scene?

::sm-22.gif::

[The game features]

3 Gaming Levels
Savable High Score
Online High Score
Original Music
Original Interface
Original Game play
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:50:46 AM by Gaz »

Offline Dr.neo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »
nice review,i like it come with all screenshots, it make the review more friendly.
In my world,have 0 and 1 only ......Matrix World......

Offline arrpirate

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
Are you kidding me? The review of my  OMG WTF game!  It says there's no high score and thus no replayability... It's got high score! In fact, the frickin' screenshot has 'High Score' on it!

As for the lack of a high score on my other entry, Lights Off!, a high score is meaningless because of the nature of the puzzles.

Offline Gaz

• DS Homebrew
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »
nice review,i like it come with all screenshots, it make the review more friendly.

::sm-03::

I don't get it, copy and paste gibberish!

If you enjoy minigames to sit back and relax with, this is the game for you.