Author Topic: Soulanger's PSP Application Reviews  (Read 3076 times)

Offline soulanger

Soulanger's PSP Application Reviews
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:39:16 PM »
Soulanger Review System

I give Overview reviews from the following:

Concept - Is the general concept interesting? Does it have something innovative? Will it be fun or usefull? Is it basic?
Presentation - Is the game presentated gracefully? Was the graphics bad? How about the sound? Were they generic?
Execution - Is the program faithful to its promising Concept? Is it okay? Are there glitches? Did exceed expectations?

Overviews points are merely, guides to show if the game has strong points in a certain category. These score will not affect the Final Score.
The only categories that will affect the score are:

Motion Support (.5/.5) - Does it support Motion?
Original entry (.5/.5) - It wasnt posted in the previous Neo Competitions?
Overall (10/10) - Was the whole program good? What did it lack?

It will then sum up to the Final Score (11/11)

This system was made so that game genres that have rare times to show their graphical capabilities (like Text Based Adventure) and games that can show graphics in each portion of the game (like Platformers and action games) would be much fair. In apps a great example would be comparing flashme to an image viewer, flashme would certainly receive lesser points even tho they are quite different. I also try to review the game/app in its coding side, something coders might find as a treat.

The reviews are aligned from best to not so bright, homebrews.

PSN License Manager 0.40 NeoEdition

Concept 10/10
With your PSP you can now manage your PSN licenses, for you to bypass Sony's region restrictions and such. Useful for gamers who buys from different regions.

Presentation 9/10
A mimic of the XMB's interface. Basic, but it does help the user alot by making them feel at home. No alienation, very user friendly and direct to the point.

Execution 10/10
Slick execution and bugless features! The program is very good on saving you some time, heck it even has a Toggle USB feature. This thing's awesome! Oh did I mention use it in your PSP? You can finally throw that useless piece of junk PC of yours! Heck, I already did! Oh wait... OMG! My projects!

Overall 10/10
This program adds another reason for people who have yet to mod their PSP. An extremely userfriendly application with great features. Now give me some time alone as I bow down to the author.... master!

No Motion Support
Original Entry.5
Final Score 10.5/11 Must Try!
http://tinyurl.com/NEOLICENSE

AVEC V2 - GPS Vector Map Viewer

Concept 9/10
A vector map built for the PSP. Shows street information, if the map file has them.

Presentation 9/10
It looks very similar like to an army style map looks like, but I think it would be better if the author just made it futuristic. The graphics lacks antialiasing as well, I guess that is rather a good idea as the number of vectors being plotted to the program is quite the alot, anti aliasing might make it slower. And some text are pretty hard to read tho. The controls are friendly also, you do not need to much when using it.

Execution 10/10
The program supports a great number of excellently done features. Did I mention there is GPS support? And damn that zoom feature is hot!

Overall 9/10
A very slick program, it is very very complete. But sadly a map viewing app isnt for everyone, but if you do need one... This program's a freak! Like Godzilla but 10x better!

No Motion Support
Original Entry.5

Final Score 9.5/11 Try It!

http://tinyurl.com/NEOAVEC

DayViewer Beta 4 NEO

Concept 9/10
A plugin that adds the day of the week in the xmb's calendar clock. Simple and nifty. Alot of people would find this useful.

Presentation 8/10
It adds the text to the XMB's Top right calendar clock. It blends in quite nicely, and it also gives your xmb a complete feel.

Execution 9/10
The author executed the primary feature, perfectly. You can also edit the day's text to a different language, etc. Installation is quite easy also.

Overall 9/10
Plenty of users would certainly love having this. It feels in a gap that you never felt missing until now. Its quite a surprise that Sony didnt have this option. An excellent plugin, try it!

No Motion Support
Original Entry.5

Final Score 9.5/11 Try It

http://tinyurl.com/NEODAYVIEWER

PSPconsole v1.7neo

Concept 8/10
A plugin that allows you to do alot of things, like text viewing, hex editing, file managing, a calculator and it even has some minigames Tetris, pong, and snake. The author's idea was for to allow the users to multitask during their music play/etc sessions.

Presentation 7/10
It feels very incomplete like the program is in debug mode. Plain colored text that are quite strainful to the eyes. It does the job done, buts clearly far from perfect. I havent tried coding plugins so I'm not sure if this is the graphical limit of the program.

Execution 8/10
It does it pretty much, but it isnt astonishing.

Overall 8/10
Altho the features are complete, somehow the feel of the program feels unfinished. But the author did a good job in executing the concept. Some might want it some may not.

No Motion Support
Original Entry.5

Final Score 8.5/11 Sneak Peek

http://tinyurl.com/NEOCONSOLE

PSPCleaner 1.4 Beta NEO

Concept 9/10
Cleans your PSP from unnecessary files such as temp files, browser history, cache, etc. A nice way to gain free space.

Presentation 8/10
A simple interface, with some rather cool looking graphics. Sadly the graphics are purely style and its quite strainful in the eyes at times. Its okay tho, you wouldnt need to use this program alot.

Execution 9/10
Its pretty fine, the general features are executed quite well. The autoupdate feature is also a nice addition. Altho, it isnt that usefull as I can't see any thing major the author will add to this.

Overall 8/10
A fine alternative to the ever so growing roster of PSP tools. If you dont like this but, you do like the concept. Try searching for an alternative as there are quite a number of similar applications like this. The author did gave a good try tho.

No Motion Support
Original Entry.5

Final Score 8.5/11 Passable

http://tinyurl.com/NEOCLEANER

periodicpsp v1.0

Concept 8/10
Manage and check the dates when you will receive your feminine cycles.... What? Wrong app?.. Haha just kidding. Its actually an educational application that informs you what you need to know about the period table. Quite a nifty idea actually.

Presentation 9/10
The colors of the program is insanely good, except that yellow highlights that strains my eyes a little. The controls is pretty easy to use. No unusual feel to it.

Execution 9/10
It does what it does and what it does it does it perfectly. In short, pretty good execution! I'm having a hard time critizising it as there are no flaws. Altho it lacks additional outside the box features.

Overall 8/10
It depends if you really need the program or not, but if you do this would be very useful. A thumbs up to the author!

No Motion Support
Original Entry.5

Final Score 8.5/11 Sneak Peek

http://tinyurl.com/NEOPERIODIC

PSPTweaker v2.0

Concept 8/10
An application that allows you to do tweaking functionalities such as hardware info, registry hacks, umd dumping and deleting of internet browser temporary files.

Presentation 8/10
Extremely similar to PSP's default xmb. It also has an automatic language feature. No alienation here, its merely pick up and use.

Execution 8/10
It was done quite good but no better than the ones that are installed in the boot menu.

Overall 7/10
An addition to the PSP tool programs. There are alot of these already, but nice try tho.

No Motion Support
Original Entry.5

Final Score 7.5/11 Passable

http://tinyurl.com/NEOTWEAKER

AlphaBase v1.0

Concept 8/10
A simple text based Bash application that helps you to debug your lua scripts.

Presentation 8/10
The presentation is purely text, with the addition of the virtual keyboard. The current presentation is what the program really is, a text based Bash application.

Execution 7/10
It does what you would expect and sadly nothing more. It would be actually pretty nice if you can macro some words in the virtual keyboard.

Overall 7/10
Its alright. The program feels uncomplete, and it might be useful for those who codes lua project. If you have another debugger there isnt much reason to use this. Hopefully the author doesnt end here, he might have ideas to make it better than other debuggers in the scene.

No Motion Support
Original Entry.5

Final Score 7.5/11 Too early

http://tinyurl.com/NEOALPHABASE

Spirograph v0.1

Concept 5/10
The application renders a graphical spirograph using a math algorithm. Something mathematicians and programmers can appreciate.

Presentation 7/10
Its good but it could have been done better, there are no fine details that could make it better. Like antialiasing or some glows.

Execution 7/10
There a number of options for generating different spirographs. Similar to its presentation it could have been better.

Overall 6/10
A pleasing mathematical toy, which can only be enjoyed by mathematicians, programmers and others. Its great but its not for the masses.

No Motion Support
Original Entry.5

Final Score 6.5/11 Passable

http://tinyurl.com/NEOSPIRO

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:42:48 AM by soulanger »