Author Topic: Soulanger's PSP Game Review  (Read 4647 times)

Offline soulanger

Soulanger's PSP Game Review
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »
Soulanger Review System

I give Overview reviews from the following:

Concept - Is the general concept interesting? Does it have something innovative? Will it be fun or usefull? Is it basic?
Presentation - Is the game presentated gracefully? Was the graphics bad? How about the sound? Were they generic?
Execution - Is the program faithful to its promising Concept? Is it okay? Are there glitches? Did exceed expectations?

Overviews points are merely, guides to show if the game has strong points in a certain category. These score will not affect the Final Score.
The only categories that will affect the score are:

Motion Support (.5/.5) - Does it support Motion?
Original entry (.5/.5) - It wasnt posted in the previous Neo Competitions?
Overall (10/10) - Was the whole program good? What did it lack?

It will then sum up to the Final Score (11/11)

This system was made so that game genres that have rare times to show their graphical capabilities (like Text Based Adventure) and games that can show graphics in each portion of the game (like Platformers and action games) would be much fair. In apps a great example would be comparing flashme to an image viewer, flashme would certainly receive lesser points even tho they are quite different. I also try to review the game/app in its coding side, something coders might find as a treat.

The reviews are aligned from best to not so bright, homebrews.

TibiaPSPv0.3

Concept 10/10
A psp port of the wicked MMORPG Tibia. Very very sick idea. The game got a great depth. Western RPG players will find the game's system very attractive. Like most of Western RPGs, the degree of what can happen is endless. Add an MMORPG to the mix which would be added in a later version and you got one epic game.

Presentation 9/10
The game got a damn slick interface. Its very easy to use. The analog will be used to control the mouse cursor. The ingame graphics is quite nice. Colors are very bright and all sprites are in a 45 degree perspective. Its very Ultima inspired. It will not be loved by all tho. Other graphical details such as weather effects, looks really nice. The musical score is also impressive, and feels very fitting to the game.

Execution 10/10
With the exception of the ultra slow loading times, some missing sounds, and some control polish. The game feels very complete, and playable. Heck, I may even say that it is already if not exceeded commercial PSP games. There are also additional features such as the in-game editor which are very impressive. These features gives another way to play game differently, thus giving more replay value.

Overall 10/10
This game is insanely awesome. No other Homebrew or commercial PSP game can match the insanely high replay value of this game. And yet the author even mocks us that the game is yet to be finished! Damn dude! It wouldnt surprise me if the author turns out to be a monster, maybe... Godzilla perhaps? Anyway this game is so cool, it wouldnt surprise me if alot of people will mod their PSPs right now. This game reminds me why Western RPGs are so cool.. Arggh, damn it, too much love.. If you dont try this, you are so out of this scene!

Not Motion Supported
Not Original Entry

Final Score 10/11 Try It!
http://tinyurl.com/NEOTIBIA

REminiscencePSP NeoFlash Edition

Concept 9/10
A port of the classic DOS game Flashback. You need to buy, the original game if you don't have one.

Presentation 8/10
If you liked the original Flashback, and of course you would also like its graphics. This port is pretty much the same. There are options so you can tweak the graphics. It doesn't do anything major such as a filter or antialias support.

Execution 9/10
Very slick. This game is an amazing port of the cult classic Flashback. It would be great if there are other tweaks to make it alot better. But it doesnt matter, the author did a very fine job.

Overall 9/10
For FlashBack fans who wish to play the classic once again, now is your chance. You can play this very solid port. For those who doesnt have the original DOS game.. Well sorry, but this game cannot be played without it. Those who have it will enjoy this great port, Try It!

Not Motion Supported
Original Entry .5

Final Score 9.5/11 Try It!

http://tinyurl.com/NEOREMIN
Portable Bubble v2.0.0

Concept 9/10
A clone of Puzzle Bubble / Bust a move. A pretty addictive puzzle shooting game that I love. Basically you shoot and aim your bubble to a similar colored bubble that is connected to 1 or two more to burst it.

Presentation 7/10
Graphically the game feels incomplete. It uses the sprites from the Puzzle bubble's snes version, which isnt the prettiest of the series. The ost and sound of the game is pretty good.

Execution 9/10
Very well executed, the author added some very well made features. One of my favorite is the idea to download stages of the internet. Hopefully the author would add theme support in the future. So could play with various graphics. That'll be insane! The game is near completion, there are some glitches that stops it from being complete. Like sound glitches in the game.

Overall 9/10
Hell yeah! If you tried Puzzle Bubble or not. Aside from the graphics. This is one of the finest Puzzle Bubble clone out there. So go and try it damn it!

Not Motion Supported
Original Entry .5

Final Score 9.5/11 Try It!

http://tinyurl.com/NEOBUBBLE

Random Shooter - Space Shoot 'em up

Concept 8/10
A PSP port of the game Random Shooter. Basic shmup, with an added twist. You need to survive as long as you can, the game generates the stage as you go. You only have a one life. Its quite hard, but its damn challenging! One thing's for sure this one aint for casual gamers.

Presentation 7/10
Classic retro style graphics with some prerender 3d? Aside from the out of place prerendered sprites its pretty nice. Retro for the win! The sound is quite decent, good thing it isnt annoying as your a big fan of retro shmups, you'll be playing this alot.

Execution 8/10
It feels quite complete. Not much features but it executed the concept very well. Altho I am craving for some customization features.

Overall 9/10 Try it.
A damn fun homebrew and its damn challenging. It isnt cheap if you lose you can only blame yourself. Only for hardcore gamers... Only... for men! and maybe some hardcore girls... hardcore.... Anyway this game is a must try, its quite time waster also.

Not Motion Supported
Original Entry .5

Final Score 9.5/11 Try it!

http://tinyurl.com/NEORANDOM

BoxDestroyer v2.3

Concept 8/10

Point and dissolve all the grey and green boxes while try not to make the blue boxes touch the ground. The game has no story. If you want one just think that the blue box is a princes while the other colors are demons.

Presentation 8/10

The game has a simple papery feel. The graphics isn't that very pleasing to the eyes at times I feel like the paper background is too heavy. Another minor complain that I have is that the boxes aren't antialiased. Although I have some minor complains the game's graphics are quite comparable to a number of commercial games, like Echochrome.

Execution 9/10

Level creation, commercial-like graphics, this game is awesomely crafted! Although, I do believe it still can be polished. It would be awesome if you can speed up your cursor by holding a button, and it would be nice if the cursor would have magnetism when pointing to cubes. Oh and an in-game level editor, some themeing options would be nice.

Overall 9/10
Aside from its flaws. It's a pretty fun game. I do recommend it.

Not Motion Supported
Not Original Entry

Final Score 9/11 Try It!

http://tinyurl.com/NEOBOX

DiggerPSP NeoFlash Edition

Concept 8/10
A psp port/emulator/remake of the classic game Digger. Which is kind of like digdug but instead of an air pump you use your character spews out a tiny fireball.

Presentation 7/10
Very classic, both in a bad and good way. It looks like a DOS game, and it works well. Some stage palletes are very strainful to the eyes tho. Otherwise the graphics is okay, its not for everyone's taste tho.

Execution 9/10
It feels and plays like the original, but with an additional feature that allows you to clock the game's speed X as fast. And I believe the game is complete.

Overall 8/10
The game in general is okay, its pretty much for those who want to feel their childhood days. Hopefully the author would make a PSP version of Dig Dug also. As the author executed this game pretty nicely.

Not Motion Supported
Original Entry .5

Final Score - 8.5 Try it

http://tinyurl.com/NEODIGGER

Lakeside

Concept 8/10
An Earthbound/Mother inspired RPG. The game's mood and feel is very relaxing.

Presentation 9/10
This game perfectly emulated Earthbound's art style, and exceeded its relaxing vibe. There are some parts that are still lacking graphical polish. One example is that some rooms has too many repeated tiles. There are also no sounds in the game, aside from the intro music. Which is very pleasant.

Execution 8/10
For a prototype, this game is damn amazing. The feel and the vibe of the game is extremely pleasant. This is certainly the best prototype I have ever played, and I'm not exaggerating, this is a well executed prototype.

Overall 8/10
A very well executed prototype. I'm playing the classic Earthbound right now, and blame it all to this game. This game reminds me of the games that I really want for the psp, simple, authentic, and well executed portable games. Even though this is a very well executed prototype, it is still a prototype, which is why I give this game a Sneak Peek.

Not motion supported
Original Entry .5
Final Score 8.5/10 Sneak Peek
http://tinyurl.com/NEOLAKESIDE

Cubic Zombies

Concept 9/10

Oh no! Zombies are waiting for your delicious cubic heart! Don't worry though, you still have your trusty cubic rifle to combat the evil. So prepare for some insanely fast paced zombie killing addictive pick up and play arcade-y game play fun! Phew.

Presentation 8/10

Damn sleek graphics, the art style of the game is very lovable. If the author was trying for a MiniGore-like look, he was able to capture it nicely. Sadly. the author wasn't able to polish it. The background isn't as impressive the character models. The animation of the characters aren't that amusing as well there are no transition to the animations, etc. Being incomplete there are no sounds to the game either.

Execution 7/10

Right now the author didn't get the execution well enough. The controls are confusing and aren't that easy to your fingers. I also believe some of the game play elements missing. The general gameplay isn't as polished as well. The most notable is that the game's viewpoint is quite frustrating at times. It's too close that you can't see the incoming vertical enemies. Having an on-screen radar would be a great solution to eliminate this problem.

Overall 7/10

Right now the game isn't complete yet. The author also stated that this game of his a rushed product, so it is very unfair to judge this project in this current build. Although this version is very lacking, I got very addicted heck I even got 145 frags -- beat that suckaas! I am quite confident that if the author completes this homebrew title the final version will be a homebrew masterpiece.

Not Motion Supported
Original Entry .5

Final Score 7.5/11 Too Early

http://tinyurl.com/NEOCUBIC

My Snake Pet

Concept 5/10
A version of tamagotchi where your pet is Snake, from the Metal Gear series. Some may find it funny, others may not. The gameplay is simple, feed your snake when he is hungry, clean if pooped, etc. You do this occasionally.

Presentation 7/10
The game doesnt look very impressive, but its already enough for the game and especially its general concept which is the game's Snake joke. Snake's animation is pretty funny at times.

Execution 8/10
The game does the concept quite well. Altho, it does not exceed more than the actual concept itself.

Overall 6/10
It may sound boring, but the game is quite fun.. but not with the PSP. The PSP isnt the ideal platform for the tamagotchi, one of the reasons is that you will always use the PSP for other things with that situation you are forced to always close the game. The addition of the joke wouldnt attract a number of people, then again those who find it funny might find it much more interesting. But all joke also lowers the gameplay's replay value.

Not Motion Supported
Original Entry .5

Final Score 6.5/11 Passable

http://tinyurl.com/NEOSNAKE

ImpGAME v2.1

Concept 8/10
Its basically Hangman, a word guessing game. In this version you only have 4 tries to get the complete word. The first and last letter doesnt need to be revealed, as the game will reveals at start for hints.

Presentation 7/10
The graphics is very plain, its build with static images that isnt that very eye candy. But then again, its alright as long it shows what we need.

Execution 6/10
It does the gameplay quite right, and not more but its really frustrating that choosing letters is pretty hard. You press left and right to choose a letter which isnt even in alphabetical order and its also very slow. The game also doesnt cross the letter if it was already picked.

Overall 6/10
It does have potential. Right now the game isnt the best hangman in the scene. It isnt that very tolerable also. Good try tho.

Not Motion Supported
Original Entry .5

Final Score 6.5/11 Too Early

http://tinyurl.com/NEOIMPGAME

a shooter

Concept 7/10
A simple shmup shooter. Tides of enemies and bullets are incoming straight right at you. You can then choose to evade or kill these enemies. The game also provides power-ups for ship such as spread guns.

Presentation 7/10
The graphics style the game uses is pretty generic for space shooters. Pre-rendered 3D sprites above a moving background. The moving background consists of a space photograph, and the Neoflash Splash both doesnt blend quite well with sprites.

Execution 5/10
Enemies go straight right at you. The enemies spawn does ends after you set foot outside the Neoflash zone. Basic gameplay elements are there but the game is far from complete.

Overall 5/10
Incomplete game, but a fairly decent engine. Looks like this game is merely a test project for the author. Good try tho.

Motion Supported .5
Original Entry .5

Final Score 6/11 Too Early

http://tinyurl.com/NEOSHOOTER
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:01:45 AM by soulanger »

Offline A_Noob

Re: Soulanger's PSP Game Review
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »
Good reviews, I know its already submitted, but I did make my game in 20 or so hours xD. Yeah There will be a polished version in the near future. ;) Cheers.

Offline Gefa

Re: Soulanger's PSP Game Review
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
Nice reviews ;)